Old 11-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default Cant boot my installed gentoo system - Please help

On Dienstag 04 November 2008, Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal wrote:
> Hi
> I am new to Gentoo. My previous experience is with slackware . I
> Downloaded the Live CD and installed Gentoo twice .. but the problem is
> Grub is not installed. I have a dual boot with Widowz and Grub for dos
> ... So I tried it using the grub console
>
> >root (hd0,4)
> >kernel (hd0,4)/ --> and when I tab here I cant list the content.
>
> So I used the live CD and chrooted to the installed environment . there
> I realized that I don't have any files for my hdd in the /dev/ folder
> ... Is this the issue... Please advise me . Cuz I went trough the
> installation twice ..,

no. This is normal. /dev is populated by udev. If you chroot from a livecd,
you need to bind mount dev to your chroots dev first.

And there is no reason to redo the installation. Grub is sometimes REALLY
annoying to setup. But usually it works as long as you are staying close to
the tutorial in info grub.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:39 AM
"Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal"

Thanks & Regards,

Gayan Lorenzu Hewa | Sub Officer | Wholesale Banking Corporate Service
Center | Standard Chartered Bank
(: 0115-397335): 0773-652003 6: 0115-397337 *:
GayanNeomal.LorenzuHewa@standardchartered.com

On Dienstag 04 November 2008, Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal wrote:
> Hi
> I am new to Gentoo. My previous experience is with slackware . I
> Downloaded the Live CD and installed Gentoo twice .. but the problem
is
> Grub is not installed. I have a dual boot with Widowz and Grub for dos
> ... So I tried it using the grub console
>
> >root (hd0,4)
> >kernel (hd0,4)/ --> and when I tab here I cant list the content.
>
> So I used the live CD and chrooted to the installed environment .
there
> I realized that I don't have any files for my hdd in the /dev/ folder
> ... Is this the issue... Please advise me . Cuz I went trough the
> installation twice ..,

no. This is normal. /dev is populated by udev. If you chroot from a
livecd,
you need to bind mount dev to your chroots dev first.

And there is no reason to redo the installation. Grub is sometimes
REALLY
annoying to setup. But usually it works as long as you are staying close
the tutorial in info grub.

"/dev is populated by udev. If you chroot from a livecd,
you need to bind mount dev to your chroots dev first." How do I do this
...?
This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the addressee, do not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in this email or any attachments. If received in error, notify the sender immediately and delete this email and any attachments from your system. Emails cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free as the message and any attachments could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, delayed, incomplete or amended. Standard Chartered PLC and its subsidiaries do not accept liability for damage caused by this email or any attachments and may monitor email traffic.

Standard Chartered PLC is incorporated in England with limited liability under company number 966425 and has its registered office at 1 Aldermanbury Square, London, EC2V 7SB.

Standard Chartered Bank ("SCB") is incorporated in England with limited liability by Royal Charter 1853, under reference ZC18. The Principal Office of SCB is situated in England at 1 Aldermanbury Square, London EC2V 7SB. In the United Kingdom, SCB is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority under FSA register number 114276.

If you are receiving this email from SCB outside the UK, please click http://www.standardchartered.com/global/email_disclaimer.html to refer to the information on other jurisdictions.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Dienstag 04 November 2008, Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal wrote:
> Thanks & Regards,

> "/dev is populated by udev. If you chroot from a livecd,
> you need to bind mount dev to your chroots dev first." How do I do this
> ...?

before you chroot:
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
for example