Old 11-01-2008, 03:35 AM
"Astomi Chen"

Default Input in Vmware console is delay

Hi folks,

I have installed gentoo in Vmware, currently the problem is when I input some command it will delay 1 second shows on console screen.

I have checked the system, there are no abnormal process, system load is OK.

When try to use Windows Putty to connect gentoo box, no delay, erverything seems nice.

Many thanks for any hint.

*

Old 11-01-2008, 03:57 AM
"Andrey Vul"

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Astomi Chen <astomister@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have installed gentoo in Vmware, currently the problem is when I input
> some command it will delay 1 second shows on console screen.
>
> I have checked the system, there are no abnormal process, system load is OK.
>
> When try to use Windows Putty to connect gentoo box, no delay, erverything
> seems nice.

All I can tell you is that something's fishy with regards to your vga driver.

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:03 AM
deface

Astomi Chen wrote:

Hi folks,

I have installed gentoo in Vmware, currently the problem is when I
input some command it will delay 1 second shows on console screen.

I have checked the system, there are no abnormal process, system load
is OK.

When try to use Windows Putty to connect gentoo box, no delay,
erverything seems nice.

Many thanks for any hint.

Have you installed the vmware tools package for once inside the vm? you
will get much better performance.

deface

Old 11-01-2008, 04:16 AM
"Astomi Chen"

I agree with you.

Now my console still in 800*600 mode, I have tried lots of ways, but failed.

http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Astomi Chen <astomister@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,

> I have installed gentoo in Vmware, currently the problem is when I input

> some command it will delay 1 second shows on console screen.

> I have checked the system, there are no abnormal process, system load is OK.

> When try to use Windows Putty to connect gentoo box, no delay, erverything

> seems nice.

All I can tell you is that something's fishy with regards to your vga driver.

--

Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

A: Top-posting.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:30 AM
"Andrey Falko"

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Astomi Chen <astomister@gmail.com> wrote:

Not yet, I will give a try.If this is a Gentoo VM emerge open-vm-tools...my Gentoo VMs work very well with it . You might need to do echo app-emulation/open-vm-tools >> /etc/portage/package.keywords first.

Also within the VM, you probably will want to set this in your make.conf:

VIDEO_CARDS="vmware"

Then emerge x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware

Then use the vmware driver in xorg.conf

Let me know if you'd like me to give you more detailed info on all of this .

Old 11-01-2008, 05:45 AM
"Astomi Chen"

After install the open-vm-tool, can't solve the input delay problem.
-How can I check the vm-tool is working or not?

I haven't install X11 server and xorg, so when install xf86-video-vmware meet a problem.It's normal.

Can you share your .config and* menu.lst, I think may be some setting not enable in the* kernel.

astomi-laptop grub # emerge x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware

Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...

!!! A file listed in the Manifest could not be found: /usr/portage/x11-base/xorg-server/xorg-server-1.4.0.90-r3.ebuild

Old 11-01-2008, 06:57 AM
"Andrey Falko"

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Astomi Chen <astomister@gmail.com> wrote:

After install the open-vm-tool, can't solve the input delay problem.
-How can I check the vm-tool is working or not?Don't forget to do /etc/init.d/vmware-tools start

I haven't install X11 server and xorg, so when install xf86-video-vmware meet a problem.It's normal.Right good point .

Can you share your .config and* menu.lst, I think may be some setting not enable in the* kernel.Yes certainly:

menu.lst:

default 0
timeout 7
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Gentoo32-2008.0
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1

.config for vanilla-sources-2.6.24.7 (All lines with comments excluded):

CONFIG_X86_32=y
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_TIME=y

CONFIG_GENERIC_CMOS_UPDATE=y
CONFIG_CLOCKSOURCE_WATCHDOG=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS_BROADCAST=y
CONFIG_LOCKDEP_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_STACKTRACE_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_SEMAPHORE_SLEEPERS=y

CONFIG_MMU=y
CONFIG_ZONE_DMA=y
CONFIG_QUICKLIST=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_IOMAP=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_BUG=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_HWEIGHT=y
CONFIG_ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC=y
CONFIG_DMI=y
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y

CONFIG_GENERIC_CALIBRATE_DELAY=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SUPPORTS_OPROFILE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_POPULATES_NODE_MAP=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_HARDIRQS=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_IRQ_PROBE=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_PENDING_IRQ=y
CONFIG_X86_SMP=y
CONFIG_X86_HT=y

CONFIG_X86_BIOS_REBOOT=y
CONFIG_X86_TRAMPOLINE=y
CONFIG_KTIME_SCALAR=y
CONFIG_DEFCONFIG_LIST="/lib/modules/$UNAME_RELEASE/.config"

CONFIG_LOCK_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_INIT_ENV_ARG_LIMIT=32
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=""

CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_IKCONFIG=y
CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC=y
CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT=15
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_UID16=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL_SYSCALL=y
CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y

CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_PRINTK=y
CONFIG_BUG=y
CONFIG_ELF_CORE=y
CONFIG_BASE_FULL=y
CONFIG_FUTEX=y
CONFIG_ANON_INODES=y
CONFIG_EPOLL=y
CONFIG_SIGNALFD=y
CONFIG_EVENTFD=y
CONFIG_SHMEM=y
CONFIG_VM_EVENT_COUNTERS=y

CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_SLUB=y
CONFIG_SLABINFO=y
CONFIG_RT_MUTEXES=y
CONFIG_BASE_SMALL=0
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD=y
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_MODULE_SRCVERSION_ALL=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y

CONFIG_STOP_MACHINE=y
CONFIG_BLOCK=y

CONFIG_IOSCHED_NOOP=y
CONFIG_IOSCHED_CFQ=y
CONFIG_DEFAULT_CFQ=y
CONFIG_DEFAULT_IOSCHED="cfq"

CONFIG_TICK_ONESHOT=y
CONFIG_NO_HZ=y
CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=y

CONFIG_GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS_BUILD=y
CONFIG_SMP=y
CONFIG_X86_PC=y
CONFIG_PARAVIRT=y
CONFIG_PARAVIRT_GUEST=y
CONFIG_VMI=y
CONFIG_MCORE2=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=6
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y

CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_MINIMUM_CPU_FAMILY=4

CONFIG_NR_CPUS=8
CONFIG_SCHED_MC=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL=y
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE_P4THERMAL=y
CONFIG_VM86=y

CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
CONFIG_PAGE_OFFSET=0xC0000000
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_FLATMEM=y
CONFIG_FLAT_NODE_MEM_MAP=y
CONFIG_SPLIT_PTLOCK_CPUS=4
CONFIG_ZONE_DMA_FLAG=1
CONFIG_BOUNCE=y
CONFIG_NR_QUICK=1

CONFIG_VIRT_TO_BUS=y
CONFIG_MTRR=y
CONFIG_IRQBALANCE=y
CONFIG_SECCOMP=y
CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
CONFIG_HZ=1000
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START=0x100000
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_ALIGN=0x100000
CONFIG_ARCH_ENABLE_MEMORY_HOTPLUG=y

CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_SUSPEND_SMP_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_HIBERNATION_SMP_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSFS_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=0
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y

CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
CONFIG_X86_PM_TIMER=y

CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_GOANY=y
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
CONFIG_PCI_MMCONFIG=y
CONFIG_PCI_DOMAINS=y
CONFIG_PCIEPORTBUS=y

CONFIG_PCIEAER=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SUPPORTS_MSI=y
CONFIG_PCI_LEGACY=y
CONFIG_HT_IRQ=y
CONFIG_ISA_DMA_API=y
CONFIG_ISA=y

CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y

CONFIG_NET=y

CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP=y

CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_XFRM=y
CONFIG_NET_KEY=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_FIB_HASH=y
CONFIG_TCP_CONG_CUBIC=y
CONFIG_DEFAULT_TCP_CONG="cubic"

CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH="/sbin/hotplug"

CONFIG_STANDALONE=y
CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
CONFIG_CONNECTOR=y
CONFIG_PROC_EVENTS=y
CONFIG_PNP=y

CONFIG_PNPACPI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CRYPTOLOOP=y
CONFIG_IDE=y

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_PCIBUS_ORDER=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y

CONFIG_IDE_ARCH_OBSOLETE_INIT=y

CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_DMA=y

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y

CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SCAN_ASYNC=y
CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN=m

CONFIG_SCSI_SPI_ATTRS=y

CONFIG_SCSI_LOWLEVEL=y
CONFIG_SCSI_BUSLOGIC=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_2=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_DMA_ADDRESSING_MODE=1
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=16
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=64
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_MMIO=y

CONFIG_ATA=y
CONFIG_ATA_ACPI=y
CONFIG_PATA_MPIIX=y
CONFIG_FUSION=y
CONFIG_FUSION_SPI=y
CONFIG_FUSION_MAX_SGE=128

CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_MII=y
CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCNET32=y

CONFIG_PCNET32_NAPI=y

CONFIG_INPUT=y

CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768

CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y

CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ALPS=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_LOGIPS2PP=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_LIFEBOOK=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_TRACKPOINT=y

CONFIG_SERIO=y

CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y
CONFIG_SERIO_LIBPS2=y

CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y

CONFIG_FIX_EARLYCON_MEM=y

CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_RTC=y
CONFIG_DEVPORT=y

CONFIG_POWER_SUPPLY=y

CONFIG_SSB_POSSIBLE=y

CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y

CONFIG_HID_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_HID=y

CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_USB_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_HCD=y

CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_OHCI=y
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_EHCI=y
CONFIG_USB=y

CONFIG_USB_DEVICE_CLASS=y

CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=y

CONFIG_RTC_LIB=y
CONFIG_RTC_CLASS=y
CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS=y
CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS_DEVICE="rtc0"

CONFIG_RTC_INTF_SYSFS=y
CONFIG_RTC_INTF_PROC=y
CONFIG_RTC_INTF_DEV=y

CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION=y

CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
CONFIG_JBD=y
CONFIG_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_INOTIFY=y
CONFIG_INOTIFY_USER=y

CONFIG_QUOTA=y
CONFIG_PRINT_QUOTA_WARNING=y
CONFIG_QUOTACTL=y
CONFIG_DNOTIFY=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_ACL=y

CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
CONFIG_JOLIET=y
CONFIG_ZISOFS=y
CONFIG_UDF_FS=y
CONFIG_UDF_NLS=y

CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_PROC_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_SYSFS=y
CONFIG_TMPFS=y
CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL=y

CONFIG_NETWORK_FILESYSTEMS=y
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL=y
CONFIG_NFS_DIRECTIO=y

CONFIG_NFSD=y
CONFIG_NFSD_V2_ACL=y
CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
CONFIG_NFSD_V3_ACL=y
CONFIG_NFSD_TCP=y
CONFIG_LOCKD=y
CONFIG_LOCKD_V4=y
CONFIG_EXPORTFS=y
CONFIG_NFS_ACL_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_NFS_COMMON=y
CONFIG_SUNRPC=y

CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y
CONFIG_NLS=y
CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT="utf8"
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_1=y
CONFIG_NLS_UTF8=y
CONFIG_INSTRUMENTATION=y

CONFIG_TRACE_IRQFLAGS_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=y

CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=y
CONFIG_X86_FIND_SMP_CONFIG=y
CONFIG_X86_MPPARSE=y
CONFIG_DOUBLEFAULT=y

CONFIG_CRYPTO=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_ALGAPI=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_BLKCIPHER=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_MANAGER=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CBC=y

CONFIG_CRYPTO_HW=y

CONFIG_BITREVERSE=y
CONFIG_CRC32=y
CONFIG_ZLIB_INFLATE=y
CONFIG_PLIST=y
CONFIG_HAS_IOMEM=y
CONFIG_HAS_IOPORT=y
CONFIG_HAS_DMA=y

Old 11-01-2008, 07:41 AM
"Astomi Chen"

Thanks Andrey Falko,* thanks all of you guys.
After start vm-tools, it performs better but sometimes still delay.
*

astomi-laptop ~ # ps -ef |grep vm
root***** 4026**** 1* 0 16:21 ?******* 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/vmware-guestd --background /var/run/vmware-guestd.pid
root***** 4936* 4924* 0 16:34 pts/0*** 00:00:00 grep --colour=auto vm