Old 11-01-2008, 02:45 AM
"Andrey Vul"

Default Burn-in test

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Out of an old habit of abusing windows boxes with prime95 at work...
>>
>> emerge gimps
>> mprime -t -w/tmp/
>
> Err... that *should* have been...
>
> emerge gimps
> /opt/gimps/mprime -t -w/tmp/
>
> --
> Poison [BLX]
> Joshua M. Murphy

How good is Crysis for the purposes of burn-in?

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Andrey Vul wrote:

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:

Out of an old habit of abusing windows boxes with prime95 at work...

emerge gimps
mprime -t -w/tmp/

Err... that *should* have been...

emerge gimps
/opt/gimps/mprime -t -w/tmp/

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

How good is Crysis for the purposes of burn-in?

Not good. You need 100% load for a burn-in, and even that is not enough
for a *good* burn-in. Hence, mprime.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 01 November 2008, Andrey Vul wrote:
> I just bought a new laptop:
> http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=019626&cid=8
>96.645 Which packages should I emerge (and run) as a burn-in test?
> Note: I will run the burn-in off either a stock or custom-mastered
> Gentoo LiveDVD.
> If the disc needs custm mastering, please outline the steps required.
>
> Thanks!

use systemrescuecd (a gentoo based livecd - incredible good one), and start
cpuburn once for every cores. burnK7 on an amd k7 or k8 system,, burnP6 on a
p4,core,core2 system.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:19 PM
"Andrey Vul"

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
> On Samstag 01 November 2008, Andrey Vul wrote:
>> I just bought a new laptop:
>> http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=019626&cid=8
>>96.645 Which packages should I emerge (and run) as a burn-in test?
>> Note: I will run the burn-in off either a stock or custom-mastered
>> Gentoo LiveDVD.
>> If the disc needs custm mastering, please outline the steps required.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> use systemrescuecd (a gentoo based livecd - incredible good one), and start
> cpuburn once for every cores. burnK7 on an amd k7 or k8 system,, burnP6 on a
> p4,core,core2 system.

No GPU testing unless mprime/gpuburn can work in GPGPU mode.

Meh, I'll just get a pirated copy of Passmark BurnInTest off of
piratebay/rapidshare.
It runs on vista, so I don't have to spend time nLiting a XP cd (or
installing wine in a chroot and remaster the livecd). Hopefully it
won't be as ssssssssssssssslllllllllllloooooooooooooooooowwwww wwwwww
as vista.

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 01 November 2008, Andrey Vul wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>
> <volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
> > On Samstag 01 November 2008, Andrey Vul wrote:
> >> I just bought a new laptop:
> >> http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=019626&ci
> >>d=8 96.645 Which packages should I emerge (and run) as a burn-in test?
> >> Note: I will run the burn-in off either a stock or custom-mastered
> >> Gentoo LiveDVD.
> >> If the disc needs custm mastering, please outline the steps required.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >
> > use systemrescuecd (a gentoo based livecd - incredible good one), and
> > start cpuburn once for every cores. burnK7 on an amd k7 or k8 system,,
> > burnP6 on a p4,core,core2 system.
>
> No GPU testing unless mprime/gpuburn can work in GPGPU mode.

if your laptop has onboard nvidia graphic the last thing you want is a hot
gpu.

> Meh, I'll just get a pirated copy of Passmark BurnInTest off of
> piratebay/rapidshare.

great, you just said in an open 'forum' that you will be stealing software!
Well done!

If you want to 'test' the gpu (and seeing a picture should be test enough for
a laptop) then run cpuburn AND unigine.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:18 PM
"Andrey Vul"

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
> On Samstag 01 November 2008, Andrey Vul wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>>
>> <volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:

>> > use systemrescuecd (a gentoo based livecd - incredible good one), and
>> > start cpuburn once for every cores. burnK7 on an amd k7 or k8 system,,
>> > burnP6 on a p4,core,core2 system.
>>
>> No GPU testing unless mprime/gpuburn can work in GPGPU mode.
>
> if your laptop has onboard nvidia graphic the last thing you want is a hot
> gpu.
How bad is it?

> If you want to 'test' the gpu (and seeing a picture should be test enough for
> a laptop) then run cpuburn AND unigine.
Seeing as I will most likely be playing around with GPGPU, a picture
is not enough. Some kind of fancy redering loop is needed.

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 01 November 2008, Andrey Vul wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>
> <volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
> > On Samstag 01 November 2008, Andrey Vul wrote:

> >> No GPU testing unless mprime/gpuburn can work in GPGPU mode.
> >
> > if your laptop has onboard nvidia graphic the last thing you want is a
> > hot gpu.
>
> How bad is it?

how about 'my laptop is dead' bad?

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/22/nvidia-chipsets-
defective

just read the links in the article.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:44 PM
"Andrey Vul"

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
> On Samstag 01 November 2008, Andrey Vul wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>>
>> <volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:

>> > if your laptop has onboard nvidia graphic the last thing you want is a
>> > hot gpu.
>>
>> How bad is it?
>
> how about 'my laptop is dead' bad?
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/22/nvidia-chipsets-
> defective
>
> just read the links in the article.

If it fails (GPU) burn-in, I'll return it as defective. I asked (the
service counter) and failed burn-in counts as defective.

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:25 PM
"Joshua Murphy"

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
> <volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
>> On Samstag 01 November 2008, Andrey Vul wrote:

>>> How bad is it?
>>
>> how about 'my laptop is dead' bad?
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/22/nvidia-chipsets-
>> defective
>>
>> just read the links in the article.
>>

> If it fails (GPU) burn-in, I'll return it as defective. I asked (the
> service counter) and failed burn-in counts as defective.
>

> --
> Andrey Vul
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

As an alternative to picking up things in less reliable ways...
the thread (from the Folding@Home forums) linked below has a list of
several different stress tests, including one for GPUs (which I have a
link to below the thread's link here.)

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52

http://www.ozone3d.net/gpu_caps_viewer/
"GPU Caps Viewer contains a stress tester for GPUs. If your GPU can
run the fur rendering test for an extended period of time without
issues, it should be stable."

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 11-03-2008, 12:09 AM
"Andrey Vul"

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>> <volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:

>>> how about 'my laptop is dead' bad?
>>>
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/22/nvidia-chipsets-
>>> defective
>>>
>>> just read the links in the article.
>>>

>> If it fails (GPU) burn-in, I'll return it as defective. I asked (the
>> service counter) and failed burn-in counts as defective.
>>

>> --
>> Andrey Vul
>>
>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>> A: Top-posting.
>> Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
>>

> As an alternative to picking up things in less reliable ways...
> the thread (from the Folding@Home forums) linked below has a list of
> several different stress tests, including one for GPUs (which I have a
> link to below the thread's link here.)
>
> http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52
>
> http://www.ozone3d.net/gpu_caps_viewer/
That should be renamed gpuburn.
> "GPU Caps Viewer contains a stress tester for GPUs. If your GPU can
> run the fur rendering test for an extended period of time without
> issues, it should be stable."

It's even prettier than the one in ATI Tray Tools. I am *so* adding it
to my BartPE benchmarking disc.
I'll get started on it in parallel with cpuburn after doing 100 rounds
of memtest.

The only question is that will cpuburn work in Vista without me having
to reboot into Windows and compile it in VS 2008 ?

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?