Old 10-31-2008, 08:41 PM
"Walter Dnes"

Default Screwed up swap while trying to get hibernate working; help

> mkswap /dev/sda6
> swapon /dev/sda6

Thanks, that worked. Having been bitten before by "doing the
obvious", I was wondering if something else was required.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 11-01-2008, 02:41 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 01:51:58PM -0400, Joshua Murphy wrote

> Umm... if you're hibernating to the same swap partition you're using
> when the system's live... I'm pretty sure you can't do that... even if
> everything does manage to fit, having sort out what belongs back in
> ram and what doesn't ... it's not a very sane thing to expect the
> kernel+userspace tools there to do. If I recall from last time I
> considered setting it up on my system, software hibernate needs an
> otherwise unused swap partition that's just a little bigger than the
> amount of physical ram in your system.

Which begs the next question... howsabout if I turn swap off as part
of the hibernation process? I.e. in /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf
include the lines...

OnSuspend 00 swapoff /dev/sda6
OnResume 00 swapon /dev/sda6

or for that matter, what's the worst that can happen if I turn off
swap alltogether, and run out of memory? Is it catastrophic, or merely
inconvenient (additional programs refuse to launch)?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>