Old 10-31-2008, 01:41 PM
"Marko Kocić"

Default Error booting new kernel

I have a quastion related to vanilla-sources kernel.

After upgrading vanilla-sources from 2.6.26 to 2.6.28_rc2 I am not
able to boot anymore. I tried playing with menuconfig couple of times,
but couldn't find what I have to change in order to make it work
again.

The error message while booting is like this:

Using IPI shortcut mode
BIOS EDD facility v 0.16 2004-Jul-25 1 devices found
VFS: Cannot open root device "307" on unknown-block(3,7)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
block(3,7)

Note that in my lilo.conf I have root=/dev/hda7 line for all kernels.

Thanks for any suggestion,
Marko

Old 10-31-2008, 01:44 PM
deface

Marko Kocić wrote:

I have a quastion related to vanilla-sources kernel.

After upgrading vanilla-sources from 2.6.26 to 2.6.28_rc2 I am not
able to boot anymore. I tried playing with menuconfig couple of times,
but couldn't find what I have to change in order to make it work
again.

The error message while booting is like this:

Using IPI shortcut mode
BIOS EDD facility v 0.16 2004-Jul-25 1 devices found
VFS: Cannot open root device "307" on unknown-block(3,7)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
block(3,7)

Note that in my lilo.conf I have root=/dev/hda7 line for all kernels.

Thanks for any suggestion,
Marko

The 2 main things to look for are File System support & chipset. did you
copy your
old .config and run a make oldconfig ? Shouldn't have been much to
modify, if any.

deface

Old 10-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Marko Kocić wrote:

I have a quastion related to vanilla-sources kernel.

After upgrading vanilla-sources from 2.6.26 to 2.6.28_rc2 I am not
able to boot anymore. I tried playing with menuconfig couple of times,
but couldn't find what I have to change in order to make it work
again.

The error message while booting is like this:

Using IPI shortcut mode
BIOS EDD facility v 0.16 2004-Jul-25 1 devices found
VFS: Cannot open root device "307" on unknown-block(3,7)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
block(3,7)

Note that in my lilo.conf I have root=/dev/hda7 line for all kernels.

My guess is that you would need to specify /dev/sda7 instead.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:04 PM
"James"

On Fri, October 31, 2008 10:41 am, Marko Koci? wrote:
> I have a quastion related to vanilla-sources kernel.
>

> After upgrading vanilla-sources from 2.6.26 to 2.6.28_rc2 I am not
> able to boot anymore. I tried playing with menuconfig couple of times, but
> couldn't find what I have to change in order to make it work again.
>
> The error message while booting is like this:
>

> Using IPI shortcut mode
> BIOS EDD facility v 0.16 2004-Jul-25 1 devices found
> VFS: Cannot open root device "307" on unknown-block(3,7)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
> partitions:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
> block(3,7)
>

> Note that in my lilo.conf I have root=/dev/hda7 line for all kernels.
>

> Thanks for any suggestion,
> Marko

That filesystem support is not compiled in the kernel?

Old 11-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Freitag 31 Oktober 2008 16:04:54 schrieb ext James:

> > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
> > block(3,7)
>
> That filesystem support is not compiled in the kernel?

How do you know? The error is about block devices, not filesystems.

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
Wanheimerstrae 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com

Old 11-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Freitag 31 Oktober 2008 15:41:00 schrieb ext Marko Kocić:

> The error message while booting is like this:
>
> Using IPI shortcut mode
> BIOS EDD facility v 0.16 2004-Jul-25 1 devices found
> VFS: Cannot open root device "307" on unknown-block(3,7)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
> partitions:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
> block(3,7)
>

> Note that in my lilo.conf I have root=/dev/hda7 line for all kernels.

Are you sure that all drivers (chipset, disc) needed for booting are compiled
into the kernel? Please post your .config + lspci output.

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 11-03-2008, 11:07 AM
David Relson

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 08:51:01 +0100
Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> Am Freitag 31 Oktober 2008 15:41:00 schrieb ext Marko Kocić:
>
> > The error message while booting is like this:
> >
> > Using IPI shortcut mode
> > BIOS EDD facility v 0.16 2004-Jul-25 1 devices found
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "307" on unknown-block(3,7)
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
> > partitions:
> > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
> > block(3,7)
> >

> > Note that in my lilo.conf I have root=/dev/hda7 line for all
> > kernels.
>
> Are you sure that all drivers (chipset, disc) needed for booting are
> compiled into the kernel? Please post your .config + lspci output.
>
> Bye...
>
> Dirk

Have you tried root=/dev/sda7, i.e. "s" rather than "h", in lilo? My
understanding is that disk driver changes in the kernel have resulted
in the replacement of IDE subsystem drivers with a "universal" (SCSI
based) subsystem. A side effect of this is device name changes,
notably /dev/hdX to /dev/sdX. I'm not sure that this is 100% accurate
because I don't track kernel changes as closely as some folks.

HTH,

David

Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Montag 03 November 2008 13:07:11 schrieb ext David Relson:

> Have you tried root=/dev/sda7, i.e. "s" rather than "h", in lilo? *My
> understanding is that disk driver changes in the kernel have resulted
> in the replacement of IDE subsystem drivers with a "universal" (SCSI
> based) subsystem.

Not replaced, the old one is still there and one has to select the new SCSI
based drivers explicitely.

> A side effect of this is device name changes,
> notably /dev/hdX to /dev/sdX.

That's true, indeed.

Bye...

Dirk