Old 10-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Pupino

Default alsa in-kernel vs. alsa-lib

Hi all,
i was used to intall alsa-lib and co. and use tools like alsamixer to
manage the audio on my gentoo; now i've tryied to switch to the
in-kernel way.
I've built the relevant part into the kernel, no module, but now i'm stuck.
If i try to emerge alsa-utils (wich has alsamixer) it pulls in also
alsa-lib, alsa-header, etc...
is this the correct behaviour? i tought i'll get rid of those
packages(-header, -lib) switching to the in-kernel drivers.

Davide

Old 10-30-2008, 10:04 PM
"Andrey Vul"

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Pupino <pupinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> i was used to intall alsa-lib and co. and use tools like alsamixer to
> manage the audio on my gentoo; now i've tryied to switch to the
> in-kernel way.
> I've built the relevant part into the kernel, no module, but now i'm stuck.
> If i try to emerge alsa-utils (wich has alsamixer) it pulls in also
> alsa-lib, alsa-header, etc...
> is this the correct behaviour? i tought i'll get rid of those
> packages(-header, -lib) switching to the in-kernel drivers.
alsa-lib and alsa-headers are unrelated to the kernel modules.
alsa-lib and alsa-headers are userspace.
If you ditch alsa-lib and go full kernel:
Will you have sound? Maybe.
Will alsa-using apps be able to use it? Absolutely not. They need alsa-lib.

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Markos Chandras

On Friday 31 October 2008 01:04:42 Andrey Vul wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Pupino <pupinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > i was used to intall alsa-lib and co. and use tools like alsamixer to
> > manage the audio on my gentoo; now i've tryied to switch to the
> > in-kernel way.
> > I've built the relevant part into the kernel, no module, but now i'm
> > stuck. If i try to emerge alsa-utils (wich has alsamixer) it pulls in
> > also alsa-lib, alsa-header, etc...
> > is this the correct behaviour? i tought i'll get rid of those
> > packages(-header, -lib) switching to the in-kernel drivers.
>
> alsa-lib and alsa-headers are unrelated to the kernel modules.
> alsa-lib and alsa-headers are userspace.
> If you ditch alsa-lib and go full kernel:
> Will you have sound? Maybe.
> Will alsa-using apps be able to use it? Absolutely not. They need alsa-lib.

From my experience i would recommend to use alsa-in-kernel + alsa-libs +
alsa-headers + alsa-utils + alsa-tools

This combination works perfect on my 3 gentoo machines

Old 10-30-2008, 10:52 PM
"Joshua Murphy"

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Markos Chandras <markaki2002@yahoo.gr> wrote:
> From my experience i would recommend to use alsa-in-kernel + alsa-libs +
> alsa-headers + alsa-utils + alsa-tools
>
> This combination works perfect on my 3 gentoo machines

All... *thinks a moment* 6 of mine as well.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 10-31-2008, 01:53 AM
Iain Buchanan

Markos Chandras wrote:

From my experience i would recommend to use alsa-in-kernel + alsa-libs +

FYI that's alsa-lib not alsa-libs might confuse someone reading later.

alsa-headers + alsa-utils + alsa-tools

This combination works perfect on my 3 gentoo machines

The animals are not as stupid as one thinks -- they have neither
doctors nor lawyers.
-- L. Docquier

Old 10-31-2008, 07:41 AM
Markos Chandras

On Friday 31 October 2008 04:53:20 Iain Buchanan wrote:
> Markos Chandras wrote:
> > From my experience i would recommend to use alsa-in-kernel + alsa-libs +
>
> FYI that's alsa-lib not alsa-libs might confuse someone reading later.
True. Sorry for the mistake

Old 10-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Joshua Murphy wrote:

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Markos Chandras <markaki2002@yahoo.gr> wrote:

From my experience i would recommend to use alsa-in-kernel + alsa-libs +
alsa-headers + alsa-utils + alsa-tools

This combination works perfect on my 3 gentoo machines

All... *thinks a moment* 6 of mine as well.

void shameless_plug()
{
One of the reasons I love Gentoo is
because it allowed me to recompile all
apps without ALSA support and use OSS
(version 4) instead which for me worked
much, much better than ALSA.
}

;D

Old 10-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Pupino

2008/10/31 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de>:
> Joshua Murphy wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Markos Chandras <markaki2002@yahoo.gr>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> From my experience i would recommend to use alsa-in-kernel + alsa-libs +
>>> alsa-headers + alsa-utils + alsa-tools
>>>
>>> This combination works perfect on my 3 gentoo machines
>>
>> All... *thinks a moment* 6 of mine as well.
>
> void shameless_plug()
> {
> One of the reasons I love Gentoo is
> because it allowed me to recompile all
> apps without ALSA support and use OSS
> (version 4) instead which for me worked
> much, much better than ALSA.
> }
>
> ;D

ok, all of you said alsa in-kernel + alsa-lib + alsa-header is working
perfectly.
Yes, it's working for me too on my other gentoo box.

But i read this after building alsa-lib:
* Please try in-kernel ALSA drivers instead of the alsa-drivers ebuild.
* If alsa-drivers works for you where a recent kernel does not, we want
* to know about this. Our e-mail address is alsa-bugs@gentoo.org
* However, if you notice no sound output or instability, please try to
* upgrade your kernel to a newer version first.

and this makes me think i should get rid of those packages as it say "instead".
Is this wrong? do we still need alsa-lib and co.?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Patrick Holthaus

> But i read this after building alsa-lib:
> * Please try in-kernel ALSA drivers instead of the alsa-drivers ebuild.
> * If alsa-drivers works for you where a recent kernel does not, we want
> * to know about this. Our e-mail address is alsa-bugs@gentoo.org
> * However, if you notice no sound output or instability, please try to
> * upgrade your kernel to a newer version first.
>
> and this makes me think i should get rid of those packages as it say
> "instead". Is this wrong? do we still need alsa-lib and co.?

You should _not_ install alsa-drivers if you want to use in-kernel drivers.
You can and should install alsa-lib etc.

Patrick

Old 10-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:05:47 +0100, Pupino wrote:

> But i read this after building alsa-lib:
> * Please try in-kernel ALSA drivers instead of the alsa-drivers ebuild.
> * If alsa-drivers works for you where a recent kernel does not, we want
> * to know about this. Our e-mail address is alsa-bugs@gentoo.org
> * However, if you notice no sound output or instability, please try to
> * upgrade your kernel to a newer version first.
>
> and this makes me think i should get rid of those packages as it say
> "instead". Is this wrong? do we still need alsa-lib and co.?

It says "instead of the alsa-drivers ebuild". you use either the
in-kernel drivers or alsa-drivers, whichever you choose, you still need
alsa-lib.

--
Neil Bothwick

Captain, I sense millions of minds focused on my cleavage.