Old 10-30-2008, 07:38 AM
"András Csányi"

Default packages/All - how to create ?

2008/10/30 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>:
> Hi,
>
> I have a (nearly) identical Gentoo system on several machines.
> On all machines except one, there is a directory
>
> /usr/portage/packages/All
>
> which contains symlinks to the packages in the specific
> directories. This is quite comfortable when copying the
> most recent packages.
>
> How can I set up GenToo to create and maintain this directory?

If you set up in the /etc/make.conf file the FEATURES="buildpkg" the
portage will maintain the /usr/portage/packages/All directory
automatically.
If you wanto to know more about portage and portage features I suggest
to you to read the documentation. Here is:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=gentoo

--
- -
-- Csanyi Andras -- http://sayusi.hu -- Sayusi Ando

Old 10-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Helmut Jarausch

On 30 Oct, András Csányi wrote:
> 2008/10/30 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a (nearly) identical Gentoo system on several machines.
>> On all machines except one, there is a directory
>>
>> /usr/portage/packages/All
>>
>> which contains symlinks to the packages in the specific
>> directories. This is quite comfortable when copying the
>> most recent packages.
>>
>> How can I set up GenToo to create and maintain this directory?
>
> If you set up in the /etc/make.conf file the FEATURES="buildpkg" the
> portage will maintain the /usr/portage/packages/All directory
> automatically.

Unfortunately this is not the case here.
The packages are built but no 'All' subdirectory is created nor
maintained.

> If you wanto to know more about portage and portage features I suggest
> to you to read the documentation. Here is:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=gentoo

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 10-30-2008, 08:32 AM
"András Csányi"

2008/10/30 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>:
> On 30 Oct, András Csányi wrote:
>> 2008/10/30 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a (nearly) identical Gentoo system on several machines.
>>> On all machines except one, there is a directory
>>>
>>> /usr/portage/packages/All
>>>
>>> which contains symlinks to the packages in the specific
>>> directories. This is quite comfortable when copying the
>>> most recent packages.
>>>
>>> How can I set up GenToo to create and maintain this directory?
>>
>> If you set up in the /etc/make.conf file the FEATURES="buildpkg" the
>> portage will maintain the /usr/portage/packages/All directory
>> automatically.
>
> Unfortunately this is not the case here.
> The packages are built but no 'All' subdirectory is created nor
> maintained.

I don't know what is the problem in your system.
On my system:

Without FEATURES="buildkpg"

cd /usr/portage/packages/
ls -lR
softwarealchemy packages # ls -lR
.:
total 20
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 2008-10-30 10:22 All
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 2008-10-30 10:13 dev-lang
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 2008-10-22 17:14 games-simulation
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 2008-10-30 10:13 www-servers

./All:
total 11164
-rw------- 1 root root 6 2008-10-30 10:22 cvs-1.12.12-r4.tbz2
-rw------- 1 root root 3501052 2008-10-22 17:14 openttd-0.6.3-r2.tbz2
-rw------- 1 root root 6247886 2008-10-30 10:13 php-5.2.6-r7.tbz2

./dev-lang:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2008-10-30 10:13 php-5.2.6-r7.tbz2 ->
../All/php-5.2.6-r7.tbz2

./games-simulation:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 2008-10-22 17:14 openttd-0.6.3-r2.tbz2 ->
../All/openttd-0.6.3-r2.tbz2

./www-servers:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 2008-10-30 10:13 apache-2.2.9-r1.tbz2 ->
../All/apache-2.2.9-r1.tbz2

I switched FEATURES="buildpkg" and emerge cvs and the result:

softwarealchemy packages # ls -lR
.:
total 20
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 2008-10-30 10:22 All
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 2008-10-30 10:13 dev-lang
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-10-30 10:22 dev-util
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 2008-10-22 17:14 games-simulation
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 2008-10-30 10:13 www-servers

./All:
total 11164
-rw------- 1 root root 6 2008-10-30 10:22 cvs-1.12.12-r4.tbz2
-rw------- 1 root root 3501052 2008-10-22 17:14 openttd-0.6.3-r2.tbz2
-rw------- 1 root root 6247886 2008-10-30 10:13 php-5.2.6-r7.tbz2

./dev-lang:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2008-10-30 10:13 php-5.2.6-r7.tbz2 ->
../All/php-5.2.6-r7.tbz2

./dev-util:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2008-10-30 10:22 cvs-1.12.12-r4.tbz2 ->
../All/cvs-1.12.12-r4.tbz2

./games-simulation:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 2008-10-22 17:14 openttd-0.6.3-r2.tbz2 ->
../All/openttd-0.6.3-r2.tbz2

./www-servers:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 2008-10-30 10:13 apache-2.2.9-r1.tbz2 ->
../All/apache-2.2.9-r1.tbz2

You can see the cvs is installed and the tarball is placed in
/usr/portage/packages/All. In the /usr/portage/packages/dev-util/
directory has a symlink to
/usr/portage/packages/All/cvs-1.12.12-r4.tbz2 file.

I think it is workign fine. Or we are both in big trouble :-D

Sorry my english.

András

--
- -

Old 10-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Dale

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 30 Oct, András Csányi wrote:
>
>> 2008/10/30 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a (nearly) identical Gentoo system on several machines.
>>> On all machines except one, there is a directory
>>>
>>> /usr/portage/packages/All
>>>
>>> which contains symlinks to the packages in the specific
>>> directories. This is quite comfortable when copying the
>>> most recent packages.
>>>
>>> How can I set up GenToo to create and maintain this directory?
>>>
>> If you set up in the /etc/make.conf file the FEATURES="buildpkg" the
>> portage will maintain the /usr/portage/packages/All directory
>> automatically.
>>

> Unfortunately this is not the case here.
> The packages are built but no 'All' subdirectory is created nor
> maintained.

I'm not sure you are correct in this. I have this set up in my
make.conf and it takes care of the All/ directory on this system and has
done so for about 5 or 6 years now. It works. My settings:

FEATURES="buildsyspkg sandbox fixpackages "

Mine only keeps system packages but it can be set up several different ways.

Dale

Old 10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Michele Schiavo

I have a (nearly) identical Gentoo system on several machines.
On all machines except one, there is a directory

/usr/portage/packages/All

which contains symlinks to the packages in the specific
directories. This is quite comfortable when copying the
most recent packages.

How can I set up GenToo to create and maintain this directory?

Many thanks for a hint,

Old 10-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Helmut Jarausch

On 30 Oct, Michele Schiavo wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 30/10/2008 alle 09.13 +0100, Helmut Jarausch ha scritto:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a (nearly) identical Gentoo system on several machines.
>> On all machines except one, there is a directory
>>
>> /usr/portage/packages/All
>>
>> which contains symlinks to the packages in the specific
>> directories. This is quite comfortable when copying the
>> most recent packages.
>>
>> How can I set up GenToo to create and maintain this directory?

Thanks for the script, still, I don't understand it.

Why quickpkg? The packages are all there (because of
FEATURES=buildpkg in my /etc/make.conf)

But they are in e.g.
/usr/portage/package/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-3.4.1.tbz2

whereas on my other machines the package is in

/usr/portage/package/All/eclipse-sdk-3.4.1.tbz2
and
/usr/portage/package/dev-util/eclipse-sdk-3.4.1.tbz2
is only a symlink to the former.

but there is no symlink

Thanks for your help,
Helmut.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Hi,

I have the same 'problem'. Which portage version are you using?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Helmut Jarausch

On 30 Oct, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the same 'problem'. Which portage version are you using?

I'm using portage-2.2_rc12 on amd64 hardware.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Donnerstag 30 Oktober 2008, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 30 Oct, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the same 'problem'. Which portage version are you using?
>
> I'm using portage-2.2_rc12 on amd64 hardware.

same here.

Would nice to know the version from peoples without the problem.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:53 PM
"Paul Hartman"

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
> On Donnerstag 30 Oktober 2008, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>> On 30 Oct, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have the same 'problem'. Which portage version are you using?
>>
>> I'm using portage-2.2_rc12 on amd64 hardware.
>
> same here.
>
> Would nice to know the version from peoples without the problem.

In my case, I've never used buildpkg feature and my
/usr/portage/packages is empty. After reading this thread, I decided
to enable it and emerge something small to see what comes out.

After emerging, I do not have an All directory, and there are no
symlinks. It put the package file directly in
/usr/portage/packages/app-arch/zip-3.0.tbz2 and generated a
/usr/portage/packages/Packages file with some info in it.

In make.conf my PKGDIR is not set, so I'm using default...

My profile is default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop

good luck

paul