-   -   more than one package directory ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/184695-more-than-one-package-directory.html)

Helmut Jarausch 10-30-2008 07:25 AM

more than one package directory ?

Hi,

I'd like to use more than one package directory, e.g.
/usr/portage/packages plus plus all stuff on a DVD.

Is there a Gentoo specific way to do so or
do I need an overlay file system like aufs ?

Many thanks for a hint,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

"Joshua Murphy" 10-30-2008 01:47 PM

more than one package directory ?

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:25 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to use more than one package directory, e.g.
> /usr/portage/packages plus plus all stuff on a DVD.
>
> Is there a Gentoo specific way to do so or
> do I need an overlay file system like aufs ?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
>
> Helmut Jarausch
>
> Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
> RWTH - Aachen University
> D 52056 Aachen, Germany

You could set the package directory manually when you need the dvd's
repository, such as:
PKGDIR="/mnt/dvd/packages" emerge --usepkg mozilla-firefox

Based on how portage uses the variable, I'm pretty sure you can't use
more than one simultaneously.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Neil Bothwick 10-30-2008 04:27 PM

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:25:37 +0100 (CET), Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> I'd like to use more than one package directory, e.g.
> /usr/portage/packages plus plus all stuff on a DVD.

Mount (or symlink) the DVD within the packages directory.

--
Neil Bothwick

Member, National Association For Tagline Assimilators (NAFTA)