FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 PM
"Paul Hartman"
 
Default A question about emerge --info

I've always been curious about something in emerge --info's output:

$ emerge --info
Portage 2.2_rc12 (default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop, gcc-4.3.2,
glibc-2.8_p20080602-r0, 2.6.27-gentoo-r1 x86_64)
================================================== ===============
System uname:
Linux-2.6.27-gentoo-r1-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_CPU_6600_@_2.40GHz-with-glibc2.2.5
Timestamp of tree: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:31:02 +0000

Why does it show the glibc-2.8 on the second line but glibc2.2.5 on the fifth?

Thanks,
Paul
 
Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 PM
"Andrey Vul"
 
Default A question about emerge --info

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've always been curious about something in emerge --info's output:
>
> $ emerge --info
> Portage 2.2_rc12 (default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop, gcc-4.3.2,
> glibc-2.8_p20080602-r0, 2.6.27-gentoo-r1 x86_64)
> ================================================== ===============
> System uname:
> Linux-2.6.27-gentoo-r1-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_CPU_6600_@_2.40GHz-with-glibc2.2.5
> Timestamp of tree: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:31:02 +0000
>
> Why does it show the glibc-2.8 on the second line but glibc2.2.5 on the fifth?

Uname returns only the kernel version string. Why glibc is in there is
beyond me.
However, I'm still using 2.6.26, so it might be a 2.6.27 issue.


--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
 
Old 10-29-2008, 10:09 PM
"Andrey Falko"
 
Default A question about emerge --info

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

I've always been curious about something in emerge --info's output:



$ emerge --info

Portage 2.2_rc12 (default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop, gcc-4.3.2,

glibc-2.8_p20080602-r0, 2.6.27-gentoo-r1 x86_64)

================================================== ===============

System uname:

Linux-2.6.27-gentoo-r1-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_CPU_6600_@_2.40GHz-with-glibc2.2.5

Timestamp of tree: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:31:02 +0000



Why does it show the glibc-2.8 on the second line but glibc2.2.5 on the fifth?



Thanks,

Paul




My best guess is that your kernel was compiled by a toolchain that was running on glibc2.2.5

See what happens if you recompile the kernel under the newer toolchain.
 
Old 10-29-2008, 10:13 PM
"Andrey Vul"
 
Default A question about emerge --info

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've always been curious about something in emerge --info's output:
>>
>> $ emerge --info
>> Portage 2.2_rc12 (default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop, gcc-4.3.2,
>> glibc-2.8_p20080602-r0, 2.6.27-gentoo-r1 x86_64)
>> ================================================== ===============
>> System uname:
>>
>> Linux-2.6.27-gentoo-r1-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_CPU_6600_@_2.40GHz-with-glibc2.2.5
>> Timestamp of tree: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:31:02 +0000
>>
>> Why does it show the glibc-2.8 on the second line but glibc2.2.5 on the
>> fifth?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>>
>
> My best guess is that your kernel was compiled by a toolchain that was
> running on glibc2.2.5
>
> See what happens if you recompile the kernel under the newer toolchain.
>
2.6.27 uses glibc? Really?
I'm asking lkml what's happening.


--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
 
Old 10-29-2008, 10:21 PM
"Paul Hartman"
 
Default A question about emerge --info

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've always been curious about something in emerge --info's output:
>>
>> $ emerge --info
>> Portage 2.2_rc12 (default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop, gcc-4.3.2,
>> glibc-2.8_p20080602-r0, 2.6.27-gentoo-r1 x86_64)
>> ================================================== ===============
>> System uname:
>>
>> Linux-2.6.27-gentoo-r1-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_CPU_6600_@_2.40GHz-with-glibc2.2.5
>> Timestamp of tree: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:31:02 +0000
>>
>> Why does it show the glibc-2.8 on the second line but glibc2.2.5 on the
>> fifth?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>>
>
> My best guess is that your kernel was compiled by a toolchain that was
> running on glibc2.2.5
>
> See what happens if you recompile the kernel under the newer toolchain.

By toolchain do you mean gcc/binutils? Both have been built since I've
had glibc 2.8 installed. When I build my kernel I just "make all"
(after configuring, of course).

I've never even had glibc2.2.5 on this computer. The earliest was 2.5
and I've been using 2.8 since June. That's why the message confuses
me. "uname -a" does not actually mention anything about glibc, but
emerge --info is getting it from somewhere. I haven't tried to look
into the depths of emerge sources yet to figure out exactly where it's
getting that info.

Thanks,
Paul
 
Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 PM
"Andrey Falko"
 
Default A question about emerge --info

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@gmail.com> wrote:

>

>

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Paul Hartman

> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

>>

>> I've always been curious about something in emerge --info's output:

>>

>> $ emerge --info

>> Portage 2.2_rc12 (default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop, gcc-4.3.2,

>> glibc-2.8_p20080602-r0, 2.6.27-gentoo-r1 x86_64)

>> ================================================== ===============

>> System uname:

>>

>> Linux-2.6.27-gentoo-r1-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_CPU_6600_@_2.40GHz-with-glibc2.2.5

>> Timestamp of tree: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:31:02 +0000

>>

>> Why does it show the glibc-2.8 on the second line but glibc2.2.5 on the

>> fifth?

>>

>> Thanks,

>> Paul

>>

>

> My best guess is that your kernel was compiled by a toolchain that was

> running on glibc2.2.5

>

> See what happens if you recompile the kernel under the newer toolchain.

>

2.6.27 uses glibc? Really?

I'm asking lkml what's happening.





--

Andrey Vul



A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

A: Top-posting.

Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?




Well it doesn't use glibc per se, gcc uses the glibc.....however, his uname -a output does look funky.

Here is mine: System uname: 2.6.24.7 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz


Did all underscores make it there by accident? What happens when you do a plain uname -a?
 
Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 PM
"Andrey Vul"
 
Default A question about emerge --info

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Paul Hartman
>> > <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> I've always been curious about something in emerge --info's output:
>> >>
>> >> $ emerge --info
>> >> Portage 2.2_rc12 (default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop, gcc-4.3.2,
>> >> glibc-2.8_p20080602-r0, 2.6.27-gentoo-r1 x86_64)
>> >> ================================================== ===============
>> >> System uname:
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Linux-2.6.27-gentoo-r1-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_CPU_6600_@_2.40GHz-with-glibc2.2.5
>> >> Timestamp of tree: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:31:02 +0000
>> >>
>> >> Why does it show the glibc-2.8 on the second line but glibc2.2.5 on the
>> >> fifth?
>> >>
>> >> Thanks,
>> >> Paul
>> >>
>> >
>> > My best guess is that your kernel was compiled by a toolchain that was
>> > running on glibc2.2.5
>> >
>> > See what happens if you recompile the kernel under the newer toolchain.
>> >
>> 2.6.27 uses glibc? Really?
>> I'm asking lkml what's happening.
>>
>>

> Well it doesn't use glibc per se, gcc uses the glibc.....however, his uname
> -a output does look funky.
My point exactly.

> Here is mine: System uname: 2.6.24.7 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @
> 2.66GHz
>
> Did all underscores make it there by accident? What happens when you do a
> plain uname -a?

Here's my uname -a: Linux andrey 2.6.26.5-rt9 #6 PREEMPT RT Mon Oct 20
18:21:31 EDT 2008 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
But emerge --info | grep uname is this: System uname:
Linux-2.6.26.5-rt9-i686-AMD_Athlon-tm-_XP_1700+-with-glibc2.0

Clearly, the underscores and -with-glibc are part of portage 2.2_rc12.
I'm going to scan through the portage _rc12.patch diff to see what's
going on.
Will report when finished.


--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
 
Old 10-29-2008, 10:41 PM
"Andrey Vul"
 
Default A question about emerge --info

Update: it has something to do with platform.platform()
Now to search for platform by grepping all the .py files in /usr/lib.
Hopefully this will take less time than emerge --regen.


--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
 
Old 10-29-2008, 11:03 PM
"Andrey Vul"
 
Default A question about emerge --info

>
> Good digging around . So this is a python bug then? Or does portage need
> to be update for some change that went into python? Actually, is this really
> even a bug...its just a minor cosmetic problem really.
>
One's bug is another's feature.
libc in uname is honestly WTF but this begs the real question: why
doesn't portage (emerge and repoman to be specific) simply get the
output of uname -a ? It's not written in C, you don't have to mess
around with 5-6 fd's to get the needed data.

And I think that this is both a design bug and a red herring.

By the way, should I make a bug report with a patch to remove this issue?
Making it selectable via FEATURES requires more digging around in portage.
--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
 
Old 10-29-2008, 11:15 PM
"Andrey Falko"
 
Default A question about emerge --info

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:

>

> Good digging around . So this is a python bug then? Or does portage need

> to be update for some change that went into python? Actually, is this really

> even a bug...its just a minor cosmetic problem really.

>

One's bug is another's feature.

libc in uname is honestly WTF but this begs the real question: why

doesn't portage (emerge and repoman to be specific) simply get the

output of uname -a ? It's not written in C, you don't have to mess

around with 5-6 fd's to get the needed data.



And I think that this is both a design bug and a red herring.



By the way, should I make a bug report with a patch to remove this issue?

Making it selectable via FEATURES requires more digging around in portage.

--

Andrey Vul



A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

A: Top-posting.

Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?




Maybe we should ask gentoo-dev? The reason not to use uname -a straight up is because it forces portage to depend on coreutils. Portage ebuilds currently do not depend on it unless userland_GNU is enabled. I'm split, I prefer code to always be as easy as possible, yet I don't like unnecessary dependencies.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:01 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org