Old 10-29-2008, 03:33 PM
"Rafael Barrera Oro"

Default Trying to solve blockage when trying to install kde-meta-4.1.2

Hello people, i tried to install kde-meta-4.1.2 and i ran across a few problems. The thing is that some packages are blocking packages required for the installation

The following is output of portage when displaying the blocking packages

[uninstall*** ] app-crypt/qca-1.0-r2* [?]
[blocks b**** ] <app-crypt/qca-1.0-r3 ("<app-crypt/qca-1.0-r3" is blocking app-crypt/qca-2.0.1-r1)
[blocks B**** ] <=x11-libs/qt-4.4.0_alpha:4 ("<=x11-libs/qt-4.4.0_alpha:4" is blocking x11-libs/qt-script-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-dbus-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-sql-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-gui-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-svg-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-test-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-core-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-opengl-4.4.2)

[blocks B**** ] <sys-fs/udev-114 ("<sys-fs/udev-114" is blocking media-gfx/sane-backends-1.0.19-r2, media-libs/libgphoto2-2.4.2)

My usual solution for problems of this kind is to mercilessly unmerge any packages that stand in my way, but, considering we are talking about packages like qt and udev, i must admit i do not dare to follow my usual strategy.

I guess the paths i can follow are masking some packages or unmerging some packages, being confronted by such a decision and unsure of what i should do, i decided to seek your advice.

Thanks very much in advance

Yours trully

Rafael

Old 10-29-2008, 03:41 PM
"Andrey Vul"

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Rafael Barrera Oro <borafael@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello people, i tried to install kde-meta-4.1.2 and i ran across a few
> problems. The thing is that some packages are blocking packages required for
> the installation
>
> The following is output of portage when displaying the blocking packages
>
> [uninstall ] app-crypt/qca-1.0-r2 [?]
> [blocks b ] <app-crypt/qca-1.0-r3 ("<app-crypt/qca-1.0-r3" is blocking
> app-crypt/qca-2.0.1-r1)
> [blocks B ] <=x11-libs/qt-4.4.0_alpha:4 ("<=x11-libs/qt-4.4.0_alpha:4"
> is blocking x11-libs/qt-script-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-dbus-4.4.2,
> x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-sql-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-gui-4.4.2,
> x11-libs/qt-svg-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-test-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-core-4.4.2,
> x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.4.2, x11-libs/qt-opengl-4.4.2)
> [blocks B ] <sys-fs/udev-114 ("<sys-fs/udev-114" is blocking
> media-gfx/sane-backends-1.0.19-r2, media-libs/libgphoto2-2.4.2)

> My usual solution for problems of this kind is to mercilessly unmerge any
> packages that stand in my way, but, considering we are talking about
> packages like qt and udev, i must admit i do not dare to follow my usual
> strategy.
AFAIK, only KDE4 uses Qt 4.
Unmerge x11-libs/qt:4 and emerge the split qt.
Unless you don't have qt installed, then something's weird.

Can you post the output of eix x11-libs/qt -c ?

As long as you don't use USB or any hotplug devices, you can unmerge
and remerge udev at will.

> I guess the paths i can follow are masking some packages or unmerging some
> packages, being confronted by such a decision and unsure of what i should
> do, i decided to seek your advice.
Make backups, then do what you usually do.

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 18:41:47 Andrey Vul wrote:
> > [blocks B * * ] <sys-fs/udev-114 ("<sys-fs/udev-114" is blocking
> > media-gfx/sane-backends-1.0.19-r2, media-libs/libgphoto2-2.4.2)
> >
> > My usual solution for problems of this kind is to mercilessly unmerge any
> > packages that stand in my way, but, considering we are talking about
> > packages like qt and udev, i must admit i do not dare to follow my usual
> > strategy.

Instead of unmerging stuff without mercy, taking a sledgehammer to the problem
and generally acting like a Windows user, I recommend you read the output and
understand what is going on.

It clearly says that your *current* version of udev which is less than 114 is
blocking sane-backends and libgphoto. So, merge udev separately:

emerge -av1 udev

there's no need for udev to go in world, it's already in system. Then emerge
world and it will probably work (after you deal with qt that is, but another
poster told you how to do that)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-29-2008, 04:03 PM
"Rafael Barrera Oro"

Thank you both for your responses, i will try dealing with QT first and then emerge udev separately, without any mercilless barbaric running-around-barely-dressed-waving-an-axe-around unmerging.

I'm gonna miss the sledgehammer though...

Seroiusly, thanks very much for your help

PD: As soon as i get it done i will tell how the outcome was

Old 10-29-2008, 04:14 PM
"Andrey Vul"

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Rafael Barrera Oro <borafael@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you both for your responses, i will try dealing with QT first and then
> emerge udev separately, without any mercilless barbaric
> running-around-barely-dressed-waving-an-axe-around unmerging.
It'll be faster do do udev first. Get it done and over with.
Qt will take 2+ hours to compile.

> I'm gonna miss the sledgehammer though...
I sledgehammer my way through blocks and no problems here
> Seroiusly, thanks very much for your help
>
> PD: As soon as i get it done i will tell how the outcome was

>> Instead of unmerging stuff without mercy, taking a sledgehammer to the
>> problem
>> and generally acting like a Windows user, I recommend you read the output
>> and
>> understand what is going on.
>>
>> It clearly says that your *current* version of udev which is less than 114
>> is
>> blocking sane-backends and libgphoto. So, merge udev separately:
>>
>> emerge -av1 udev
I prefer emerge -1pv udev
<look at output>
emerge -1 udev

>> there's no need for udev to go in world, it's already in system. Then
>> emerge
>> world and it will probably work (after you deal with qt that is, but
>> another
>> poster told you how to do that)

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 19:03:51 Rafael Barrera Oro wrote:
> Thank you both for your responses, i will try dealing with QT first and
> then emerge udev separately, without any mercilless barbaric
> running-around-barely-dressed-waving-an-axe-around unmerging.

There you go, that's a good lad :-)

> I'm gonna miss the sledgehammer though...

Don't dismiss it entirely thoguh. It comes in handy when dealing with
recalcitrant incorigible users. Very very handy indeed.

A last note on emerge's output, especially with blockers: the time spent to
read all the portage pages (several times) is time very well spent. I
recommend when next you get blockers, is to rerun emerge with -t and take
note of what packages cause a blocker to be pulled in or up|downgraded. make
a list of everything involved and read the ebuilds. Plot it all out with pen
and pencil, do this repetitively till you have a lightbulb moment where it
all suddenly makes sense.

Most folks around here have done this at some point and there doesn't seem to
be a shortcut :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:14:34 -0400, Andrey Vul wrote:

> >> emerge -av1 udev
> I prefer emerge -1pv udev
> <look at output>
> emerge -1 udev

Which means you have to wait for the dependency resolver to run twice.
Which is why it's better to use

emerge -1av udev
look at output
press enter

--
Neil Bothwick

If it ain't broke, wait a day or two!!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 22:46:34 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> > I prefer emerge -1pv udev
> > <look at output>
> > emerge -1 udev
>
> Which means you have to wait for the dependency resolver to run twice.
> Which is why it's better to use
>
> emerge -1av udev
> look at output
> press enter

you have it wrong:

emerge -1av udev
do not press enter
look at output
press enter

:-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 23:52:25 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > emerge -1av udev
> > look at output
> > press enter
>
> you have it wrong:
>
> emerge -1av udev
> do not press enter
> look at output
> press enter

Looking at the output only confuses me, I prefer to skip that step

--
Neil Bothwick

The box said 'needs Win95 or better' so I bought an Amiga.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:26 PM
"Andrey Vul"

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

>> I prefer emerge -1pv udev
>> <look at output>
>> emerge -1 udev
>
> Which means you have to wait for the dependency resolver to run twice.
> Which is why it's better to use
>
> emerge -1av udev
> look at output
> press enter
I don't like package managers which require interactivity.
emerge -uvDp world | less is easier to parse then emerge -upDa world.
Why? Because I don't have to find a way of transferring <return> if
less handles all of the keyboard input.
So I prefer two stages:
1) pretend merge - single verbosity - and look at output
2) actual merge - normal / quiet - and pipe to tee

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> If it ain't broke, wait a day or two!!

--