Old 10-29-2008, 10:31 AM
David Relson

Default what is easy way to upgrade

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:28:47 +0800 (CST)
adrian kok wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am new in gentoo
>
> what is easy way to upgrade? eg: kernel / package
>
> In some linux, they are using yum ....
>
> Thank you

The Gentoo command for loading packages is "emerge". Periodically I
run "eix-sync" to update the list of packages available, then run
"emerge -auDt world" to update installed packages.

HTH,

David

Old 10-29-2008, 10:36 AM
"Daniel Pielmeier"

2008/10/29 adrian kok <adriankok2000@yahoo.com.hk>:
> what is easy way to upgrade? eg: kernel / package

For the start I would recommend you reading the handbook.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

Daniel

Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 AM
KH

adrian kok schrieb:
> Hi
>
> I am new in gentoo
>
> what is easy way to upgrade? eg: kernel / package
>
> In some linux, they are using yum ....
>
> Thank you
Welcome to Gentoo

For the Kernel: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml

I see a lot of users have there own way to upgrade. Mine is:

#emerge --sync
#emerge -DuavN system
#emerge -DuavN world
#dispatch-conf
#emerge --depclean -pv
#revdep-rebuild -pvi
#glsa-check -t all

You can skip system if you want to (I guess) I just run it to have a
better view on the kind of package I am updating.
you may want to drop the -p and -i option where needed (and if you are
sure you really want to).

KH

Old 10-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:28:47 +0800 (CST), adrian kok wrote:

> what is easy way to upgrade?

This is Gentoo, we don't do anything the easy way ;-)

--
Neil Bothwick

What is a "free" gift ? Aren't all gifts free?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:21 AM
"András Csányi"

2008/10/29 Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk>:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:28:47 +0800 (CST), adrian kok wrote:
>
>> what is easy way to upgrade?
>
> This is Gentoo, we don't do anything the easy way ;-)

Hey, this is the easiest way! ;-)

--
- -
-- Csanyi Andras -- http://sayusi.hu -- Sayusi Ando

Old 10-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Ricardo Jesus

adrian kok wrote:

Hi

I am new in gentoo

what is easy way to upgrade? eg: kernel / package

In some linux, they are using yum ....

Thank you

Welcome
aboard!

For starters go through the Handbook and the official documentation as
it provides the answers to your questions.

For packages I usally run the following commands:

# eix-sync

# emerge --tree --ask --update --newuse --deep world && emerge
--depclean && revdep-rebuild

# dispatch-conf

For the kernel read the Gentoo Linux Kernel Upgrade Guide
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml) and follow the
detailed steps.

Good luck ;-)

Old 10-29-2008, 12:31 PM