Old 10-29-2008, 09:15 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default hibernate fails, "s2disk" not found

Before anybody asks, yes, i did check Google. I found a gazillion
references to gentoo-wiki.com, which is down and therefore useless to
me. First of all, my system...

[d530][root][~] uname -a
Linux d530 2.6.25-gentoo-r8 #1 SMP Tue Oct 28 04:44:53 EDT 2008 i686
Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

My /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf

[d530][root][~] cat /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf
Verbosity 3
Distribution gentoo
SaveClock true
DisableWriteCacheOn /dev/sda
DownInterfaces auto
UpInterfaces auto
USuspendMethod disk

From "make menuconfig"
[*] Power Management support
[ ] Legacy Power Management API (DEPRECATED)
[ ] Power Management Debug Support
[ ] Suspend to RAM and standby[*] Hibernation (aka 'suspend to disk')
(/dev/sda6) Default resume partition[*] ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support --->
< > APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS support --->
CPU Frequency scaling --->
[ ] CPU idle PM support

When I try hibernate...

[d530][root][~] hibernate
hibernate: [01] Executing CheckLastResume ...
hibernate: [01] Executing CheckRunlevel ...
hibernate: [01] Executing LockFileGet ...
hibernate: [01] Executing NewKernelFileCheck ...
hibernate: [10] Executing EnsureUSuspendCapable ...
s2disk not installed.
hibernate: EnsureUSuspendCapable refuses to let us continue.
hibernate: Aborting.
hibernate: [01] Executing NoteLastResume ...
hibernate: [01] Executing LockFilePut ...

Since it's complaining about s2disk not being installed...

[d530][root][~] emerge -pv s2disk

Calculating dependencies |
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "s2disk".

Now what?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 06:15:56 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:

> Before anybody asks, yes, i did check Google. I found a gazillion
> references to gentoo-wiki.com, which is down and therefore useless to
> me.

Did you try the Cached links? Many of the Wiki pages are still in Google's
cache

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 18: Taped live

Old 10-30-2008, 03:33 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:27:39PM +0100, Pint?r Tibor wrote
>> [d530][root][~] emerge -pv s2disk
>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>> Calculating dependencies |
>> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "s2disk".
>> Now what?
>
> emerge -pv suspend

First, I had to keyword "=sys-power/suspend-0.8 ~x86" in
package.keywords. I set up suspend.conf like so...

snapshot device = /dev/snapshot
resume device = /dev/sda6
#image size = 350000000
#suspend loglevel = 2
compute checksum = y
#compress = y
#encrypt = y
#early writeout = y
#splash = y

Here is my disk layout

[d530][root][~] fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xd0000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 60801 488384001 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 1 62 497952 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 63 549 3911796 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7 550 60801 483974158+ 83 Linux

No, it's not LVM. / is half-a-gig, followed by swap, followed by the
rest of the drive. I use multiple bindmounts to make things look
normal. When I tried "sync", followed by "hibernate" it shut down, but
when I powered back up with the power button, here's what happened...

- on the reboot, it complained about the superblock "last access" being
in the future (the half-gig partition is ext2)

- it "fixed" the access date

- complained that the hard drive was "dirty", i.e. not properly shut
down

- rebooted

- played back a whole bunch of disk transactions on /dev/sda7
(reiserfs). Did i mention I ran "sync" before "hibernate"?

- it did the rest of the ordinary boot process.

- it did *NOT* restore anything from the previous session. Do I have to
explicitly set something to tell it to restore a previous session?
Gentoo-wiki is stll down.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 10-30-2008, 06:25 AM
"Joshua Murphy"

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:33 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:27:39PM +0100, Pint?r Tibor wrote
>>> [d530][root][~] emerge -pv s2disk
>>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>>> Calculating dependencies |
>>> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "s2disk".
>>> Now what?
>>
>> emerge -pv suspend
>
> First, I had to keyword "=sys-power/suspend-0.8 ~x86" in
> package.keywords. I set up suspend.conf like so...
>
> snapshot device = /dev/snapshot
> resume device = /dev/sda6
> #image size = 350000000
> #suspend loglevel = 2
> compute checksum = y
> #compress = y
> #encrypt = y
> #early writeout = y
> #splash = y
>
> Here is my disk layout
>
> [d530][root][~] fdisk -l
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0xd0000000
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sda1 1 60801 488384001 5 Extended
> /dev/sda5 1 62 497952 83 Linux
> /dev/sda6 63 549 3911796 82 Linux swap / Solaris
> /dev/sda7 550 60801 483974158+ 83 Linux
>
> No, it's not LVM. / is half-a-gig, followed by swap, followed by the
> rest of the drive. I use multiple bindmounts to make things look
> normal. When I tried "sync", followed by "hibernate" it shut down, but
> when I powered back up with the power button, here's what happened...
>
> - on the reboot, it complained about the superblock "last access" being
> in the future (the half-gig partition is ext2)
>
> - it "fixed" the access date
>
> - complained that the hard drive was "dirty", i.e. not properly shut
> down
>
> - rebooted
>
> - played back a whole bunch of disk transactions on /dev/sda7
> (reiserfs). Did i mention I ran "sync" before "hibernate"?
>
> - it did the rest of the ordinary boot process.
>
> - it did *NOT* restore anything from the previous session. Do I have to
> explicitly set something to tell it to restore a previous session?
> Gentoo-wiki is stll down.
>
> --
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

I've not touched hibernation, but from what I've gathered in 5 mins on
google, I've a few probable guesses. Firstly, the image of the system
set aside by s2disk leaves the system's partitions in a 'dirty' state
simply because they're technically still in use. Your kernel needs to
be told to look at /dev/sda6 for resuming, appending resume=/dev/sda6
(might be resume=swap:/dev/sda6, not sure) in your grub/lilo config
should handle that part, though I've a vague recollection of something
about a default resume partition last time I ran through menuconfig
too, so you may even be able to avoid that. When it boots, rather than
running through init and the usual, it needs access to the 'resume'
executable, which has to be usable *before* the system's current
mounts are reestablished... which means initrd or initramfs. If you
already have both of those things (kernel knowing what the resume
partition is and having access to 'resume' where it wants it) as they
should be... I'm at a loss.

If you go to:
http://www.google.com/search?q=HOWTO+Userspace+Software+Suspend+(uswsusp )+-+Gentoo+Linux+Wiki
and then hit 'cached' under the first hit, it'll take you to google's
last copy of the page.

Also, as a side note, from http://www.freewebs.com/gkiagia/hibernate.html --
"WARNING: Never boot the suspended system with another kernel than the
one that you used to suspend and never try to mount suspended
partitions from another linux system, such as a live cd, otherwise you
will probably have data loss."

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy