Old 10-29-2008, 01:34 AM
"Mark Knecht"

Default blocks to fix

Are there any issues with all these blocks that I need to fix for updates?

Thanks,
Mark

[ebuild U ] sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.2 [1.40.9] USE="nls (-static%)" 4,263 kB
[ebuild N ] sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2 USE="nls" 479 kB
[blocks B ] sys-libs/ss (is blocking sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
[blocks B ] sys-libs/com_err (is blocking sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
[blocks B ] <sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41 (is blocking
sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
[blocks B ] sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs (is blocking
sys-libs/ss-1.40.9, sys-libs/com_err-1.40.9)

Total: 8 packages (7 upgrades, 1 new, 4 blocks), Size of downloads: 12,182 kB

Old 10-29-2008, 01:43 AM
"James Homuth"

Are there any issues with all these blocks that I need to fix for updates?

Thanks,
Mark

[ebuild U ] sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.2 [1.40.9] USE="nls (-static%)" 4,263
kB
[ebuild N ] sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2 USE="nls" 479 kB
[blocks B ] sys-libs/ss (is blocking sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
[blocks B ] sys-libs/com_err (is blocking
sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
[blocks B ] <sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41 (is blocking
sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
[blocks B ] sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs (is blocking
sys-libs/ss-1.40.9, sys-libs/com_err-1.40.9)

Total: 8 packages (7 upgrades, 1 new, 4 blocks), Size of downloads: 12,182
kB

E1fsprogs and com_err have apparently been merged into the new package
portage wants to install for you. It's been suggested remove the two
packages it wants to upgrade, then install that one.

Hint: emerge --fetchonly sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs; emerge --unmerge
e2fsprogs; emerge --unmerge com_err; emerge sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs *should*
work. I say should, because I haven't actually tried it.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:11 AM
Allan Gottlieb

At Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:43:38 -0400 James Homuth <james@the-jdh.com> wrote:

> [...]

It is not quite that simple. There were many posts today (28 oct) on
this. I suggest reading them. You might need to unmask mit-krb5 for
example. There is a danger of rendering wget and hence emerge unusable
(but if you have already --fetchonly'ed the pkgs then emerge can install
them).

To repeat the main point: Read *carefully* today's discussion.

good luck,
allan

Old 10-29-2008, 03:24 PM
"Andrew MacKenzie"

+++ Allan Gottlieb [gentoo-user] [Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:11:48PM -0400]:
> It is not quite that simple. There were many posts today (28 oct) on
> this. I suggest reading them. You might need to unmask mit-krb5 for
> example. There is a danger of rendering wget and hence emerge unusable
> (but if you have already --fetchonly'ed the pkgs then emerge can install
> them).
>
> To repeat the main point: Read *carefully* today's discussion.
Yeah, I'll second this. At the very least make sure you "emerge -f"
anything you unmerge. To make it easy to re-merge if you break wget.

I had one system that specified USE="kerberos" and krb5 kept wanting to
pull back in com_err (I think). Also removing com_err seemed to break wget
(and curl) on that system so I had to manually fetch some packages.

--
// Andrew MacKenzie | http://www.edespot.com
// GPG public key: http://www.edespot.com/~amackenz/public.key

Old 10-29-2008, 05:00 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Andrew MacKenzie <amackenz@edespot.com> wrote:
> +++ Allan Gottlieb [gentoo-user] [Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:11:48PM -0400]:
>> It is not quite that simple. There were many posts today (28 oct) on
>> this. I suggest reading them. You might need to unmask mit-krb5 for
>> example. There is a danger of rendering wget and hence emerge unusable
>> (but if you have already --fetchonly'ed the pkgs then emerge can install
>> them).
>>
>> To repeat the main point: Read *carefully* today's discussion.
> Yeah, I'll second this. At the very least make sure you "emerge -f"
> anything you unmerge. To make it easy to re-merge if you break wget.
>
> I had one system that specified USE="kerberos" and krb5 kept wanting to
> pull back in com_err (I think). Also removing com_err seemed to break wget
> (and curl) on that system so I had to manually fetch some packages.
>
> --
> // Andrew MacKenzie | http://www.edespot.com

Thanks all. I do need to be careful about this as the machine is 400
miles away and the user is completely unable to be of any help if it
stops working meaning I have to drive or the box has to be shipped.
Either alternative is not good.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 10-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:00:41 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Thanks all. I do need to be careful about this as the machine is 400
> miles away and the user is completely unable to be of any help if it
> stops working meaning I have to drive or the box has to be shipped.
> Either alternative is not good.

It's a bit late now, but installing a second distro, or a bare stage 3
gentoo, as a dual boot so you can still access the machoine if it breaks.
As an alternative, send the user a GRML CD and get them to boot that if
things go wrong.

--
Neil Bothwick
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:46 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:00:41 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Thanks all. I do need to be careful about this as the machine is 400
>> miles away and the user is completely unable to be of any help if it
>> stops working meaning I have to drive or the box has to be shipped.
>> Either alternative is not good.
>
> It's a bit late now, but installing a second distro, or a bare stage 3
> gentoo, as a dual boot so you can still access the machoine if it breaks.
> As an alternative, send the user a GRML CD and get them to boot that if
> things go wrong.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

I tried the Gentoo install CD with him a couple of years ago. He was
unable to get ssh set up and tell me what his firewall's IP address
was.

Please remember, some of these folks fought in WW2. They are not
recent IT graduates! ;-)

Having a second install is a reasonable idea. I suppose I can probably
install that remotely but I cannot test it remotely (AFAIK) without
someone handy to choose the right line in the grub menu...

Thanks,
Mark

Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 PM
»Q«

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 20:49:13 +0000
Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> It's a bit late now, but installing a second distro, or a bare stage 3
> gentoo, as a dual boot so you can still access the machoine if it
> breaks.

System Rescue CD is Gentoo-based and can be installed on HDD very
quickly and easily -- only seven files to copy from the CD, and add a
boot manager entry.

<http://www.sysresccd.org/>

--
»Q«
Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 AM
Momesso Andrea

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 08:49:13PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:00:41 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > Thanks all. I do need to be careful about this as the machine is 400
> > miles away and the user is completely unable to be of any help if it
> > stops working meaning I have to drive or the box has to be shipped.
> > Either alternative is not good.
>
> It's a bit late now, but installing a second distro, or a bare stage 3
> gentoo, as a dual boot so you can still access the machoine if it breaks.
> As an alternative, send the user a GRML CD and get them to boot that if
> things go wrong.

There is no need to drive there or to send a cd. Even with no com_err
and no wget, you can still ssh into the machine, so scp should work too.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:18 AM
KH

Allan Gottlieb schrieb:
> At Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:43:38 -0400 James Homuth <james@the-jdh.com> wrote:

Consider using quikpkg before unmerging anything

kh