Old 10-28-2008, 11:40 PM
kcc

Default telnet program

Hi all
*
I want to install telnet client but couldn't find the emerge search
*
how can I get it
*
Thank you

Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:40:17 -0400, kcc wrote:

> I want to install telnet client but couldn't find the emerge search

net-misc/netkit-telnetd contains client and server.

--
Neil Bothwick

If a stealth bomber crashes in a forest, will it make a sound?

Old 10-29-2008, 12:41 AM
"Andrey Vul"

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 8:40 PM, kcc <peterkcc2001@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I want to install telnet client but couldn't find the emerge search

emerge search is useless.
Emerge eix, run update-eix, and do eix telnet

--
Andrey Vul

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:40:17 -0400, kcc wrote:
>
>> I want to install telnet client but couldn't find the emerge search
>
> net-misc/netkit-telnetd contains client and server.

If you just need a client, you can also use the one in busybox:

`busybox telnet`

It should be preinstalled (belongs to system, not world).

Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:33:56 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:

> If you just need a client, you can also use the one in busybox:
>
> `busybox telnet`

Or do "sudo ln -s busybox /bin/telnet" and you can call it as telnet.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 36: Alone together

Old 10-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Florian Philipp

Neil Bothwick schrieb:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:33:56 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
>
>> If you just need a client, you can also use the one in busybox:
>>
>> `busybox telnet`
>
> Or do "sudo ln -s busybox /bin/telnet" and you can call it as telnet.

In that case, I would link it to /usr/local/bin/telnet. Otherwise you
might (?) overwrite your busybox when you ever try to emerge another
telnet client who provides /bin/telnet.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:19 PM
"Paul Hartman"

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 7:40 PM, kcc <peterkcc2001@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I want to install telnet client but couldn't find the emerge search
>
> how can I get it
>
> Thank you

net-misc/telnet-bsd

Paul