Old 10-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default how to downgrade to old fetching indicator?

On Tuesday 28 October 2008 21:11:05 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> How to "downgrade" to old fetching indicator (single-line instead of
> multiple lines)?

This has been bugging me for a long time as well, I'd really liek to know
what's going on.

'ps ax' while emerge is downloading shows the full wget command used - it's
FETCHCOMMAND from make.conf. The identical command on the command line
produces the old output. Adding the wget option --progress=bar to
FETCHCOMMAND changes nothing, but it is the correct option to influence this
behaviour.

It seems like perhaps FETCHCOMMAND is no longer the applicable setting in
make.conf...

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-28-2008, 08:09 PM
"Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto"

> On Tuesday 28 October 2008 21:11:05 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> How to "downgrade" to old fetching indicator (single-line instead of
>> multiple lines)?
>
> This has been bugging me for a long time as well, I'd really liek to know
> what's going on.
>
> 'ps ax' while emerge is downloading shows the full wget command used - it's
> FETCHCOMMAND from make.conf. The identical command on the command line
> produces the old output. Adding the wget option --progress=bar to
> FETCHCOMMAND changes nothing, but it is the correct option to influence this
> behaviour.
>
> It seems like perhaps FETCHCOMMAND is no longer the applicable setting in
> make.conf...

Perhaps you did not read wget's info page ?
Please read the following excerpt to the end

`--progress=TYPE'
Select the type of the progress indicator you wish to use. Legal
indicators are "dot" and "bar".

The "bar" indicator is used by default. It draws an ASCII progress
bar graphics (a.k.a "thermometer" display) indicating the status of
retrieval. If the output is not a TTY, the "dot" bar will be used
by default.

Use `--progress=dot' to switch to the "dot" display. It traces
the retrieval by printing dots on the screen, each dot
representing a fixed amount of downloaded data.

When using the dotted retrieval, you may also set the "style" by
specifying the type as `dot:STYLE'. Different styles assign
different meaning to one dot. With the `default' style each dot
represents 1K, there are ten dots in a cluster and 50 dots in a
line. The `binary' style has a more "computer"-like
orientation--8K dots, 16-dots clusters and 48 dots per line (which
makes for 384K lines). The `mega' style is suitable for
downloading very large files--each dot represents 64K retrieved,
there are eight dots in a cluster, and 48 dots on each line (so
each line contains 3M).

Note that you can set the default style using the `progress'
command in `.wgetrc'. That setting may be overridden from the
command line. The exception is that, when the output is not a
TTY, the "dot" progress will be favored over "bar". To force the
bar output, use `--progress=bar:force'.

So you can try --progress=bar:force

I personally like --progress=dot. And when I download huge files like CD images,
I use wget -b --limit-rate=<MY_DESIRED_RATE_LIMIT> --progress=dot:mega
'http://example.com/foo.tar.lzma'

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds

Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 PM
"Holger Hoffstaette"

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:52:14 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 October 2008 21:11:05 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> How to "downgrade" to old fetching indicator (single-line instead of
>> multiple lines)?
>
> This has been bugging me for a long time as well, I'd really liek to know
> what's going on.

Despair not! Read on!

> 'ps ax' while emerge is downloading shows the full wget command used -
> it's FETCHCOMMAND from make.conf. The identical command on the command
> line produces the old output. Adding the wget option --progress=bar to
> FETCHCOMMAND changes nothing, but it is the correct option to influence
> this behaviour.

Almost there!

> It seems like perhaps FETCHCOMMAND is no longer the applicable setting in
> make.conf...

It is, but with a twist. Read the wget manpage again, and you'll find:

[..] when the output is not a TTY, the "dot" progress will be favored
over "bar". [..]

So putting --progress=bar:force into FETCHCOMMAND/RESUMECOMMAND does the
trick. Maybe this was done for the --jobs option or a change in background
process logging to a file? No idea but the trick works for me.

Holger

Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 28 October 2008 23:09:48 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 October 2008 21:11:05 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> How to "downgrade" to old fetching indicator (single-line instead of
> >> multiple lines)?
> >
> > This has been bugging me for a long time as well, I'd really liek to know
> > what's going on.
> >
> > 'ps ax' while emerge is downloading shows the full wget command used -
> > it's FETCHCOMMAND from make.conf. The identical command on the command
> > line produces the old output. Adding the wget option --progress=bar to
> > FETCHCOMMAND changes nothing, but it is the correct option to influence
> > this behaviour.
> >
> > It seems like perhaps FETCHCOMMAND is no longer the applicable setting in
> > make.conf...
>
> Perhaps you did not read wget's info page ?
> Please read the following excerpt to the end

OK, that explains it. I read the first three paragraphs, saw "Legal indicators
are 'dot' and 'bar'" and figured there were two options - verbose with lots
of dots or concise with 50 dashes. That'll teach me to assume :-)

[man wget's is getting like bash, screen, nmap and mplayer's man pages...]

But there's something else at work here - this change happened on my mchine
within the last 6 weeks. The last emerge of wget here was Aug 17. So what
changed with portage?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 28 October 2008 23:19:22 Holger Hoffstaette wrote:
> > It seems like perhaps FETCHCOMMAND is no longer the applicable setting in
> > make.conf...
>
> It is, but with a twist. Read the wget manpage again, and you'll find:
>
> * [..] when the output is not a TTY, the "dot" progress will be favored
> * * * *over "bar". [..]

When I read the other poster's reply, my first thought was that this is the
underlying reason - portage traditionally made extensive use of tee in
dealing with it's output and who knows what that output get connected to.

But this seems to not be the case:

ps axf of the running emerge, which is a regular pts:

13744 pts/1 SN+ 0:12 | |
\_ /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/emerge -f mozilla-sunbird
13793 pts/1 SN+ 0:02 | |
\_ /usr/bin/python -O /usr/lib64/portage/bin/ebuild /var/portage/app-office/mozilla-sunbird/mozilla-sunbird-0.9.ebuild
fetch
13806 pts/1 SN+ 0:00 | | \_ wget -t
5 --passive-ftp --progress=bar
ftp://ftp.is.co.za/mirror/gentoo.org/distfiles/lightning-sunbird-0.9-source.tar.bz2 -P /var/distfiles

ps ax of the same wget run from a konsole:

13869 pts/1 S+ 0:00 wget -t 5 --passive-ftp --progress=bar
ftp://ftp.is.co.za/mirror/gentoo.org/distfiles/lightning-sunbird-0.9-source.tar.bz2 -P /var/distfiles

Looks the same to me

> So putting --progress=bar:force into FETCHCOMMAND/RESUMECOMMAND does the
> trick. Maybe this was done for the --jobs option or a change in background
> process logging to a file? No idea but the trick works for me.

Sounds plausible. I can't quite see how it was implemented though

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com