Old 10-28-2008, 04:08 PM
"James Homuth"

Default Circular blocks after last night's sync?

During an update attempt this afternoon, these little surprises were waiting
for me. I took a look at the archives, and naturally, google, but all I
found were lots of the same error, and no information on it/what's broken.
Anyone else having this particular problem? The block errors are below.

[blocks B ] sys-libs/ss (is blocking sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)

[blocks B ] <sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41 (is blocking
sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)

[blocks B ] sys-libs/com_err (is blocking
sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)

[blocks B ] sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs (is blocking sys-libs/ss-1.40.9,
sys-libs/com_err-1.40.9)

This was during an emerge --update world.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:19 PM
"Andrey Vul"

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 1:08 PM, James Homuth <james@the-jdh.com> wrote:
> During an update attempt this afternoon, these little surprises were waiting
> for me. I took a look at the archives, and naturally, google, but all I
> found were lots of the same error, and no information on it/what's broken.
> Anyone else having this particular problem? The block errors are below.
>
> [blocks B ] sys-libs/ss (is blocking sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
>
> [blocks B ] <sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41 (is blocking
> sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
>
> [blocks B ] sys-libs/com_err (is blocking
> sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
>
> [blocks B ] sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs (is blocking sys-libs/ss-1.40.9,
> sys-libs/com_err-1.40.9)
>
> This was during an emerge --update world.
Unmerge the old e2fsprogs and emerge the new programs and libs. IIRC
this is not new. I had this happen a few months ago.

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Robert Bridge

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:08:32 -0400
"James Homuth" <james@the-jdh.com> wrote:

> During an update attempt this afternoon, these little surprises were
> waiting for me. I took a look at the archives, and naturally, google,
> but all I found were lots of the same error, and no information on
> it/what's broken. Anyone else having this particular problem? The
> block errors are below.
>
> [blocks B ] sys-libs/ss (is blocking
> sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
>
> [blocks B ] <sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41 (is blocking
> sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
>
> [blocks B ] sys-libs/com_err (is blocking
> sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
>
> [blocks B ] sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs (is blocking
> sys-libs/ss-1.40.9,
> sys-libs/com_err-1.40.9)
>
> This was during an emerge --update world.

emerge -C e2fsprogs, ss, com_err && emerge -1 e2fsprogs

e2fsprogs is being restructured, which is causing the problem.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:19:58 -0400, Andrey Vul wrote:

> Unmerge the old e2fsprogs and emerge the new programs and libs. IIRC
> this is not new. I had this happen a few months ago.

It happened to be today on a stable box, so these versions must have just
been marked stable. Fortunately, that (mainly) stable box was running the
latest portage, which resolves the blocks automatically.

--
Neil Bothwick

KPLA Klingon Radio : All glory, all the time!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Robert Bridge schrieb am 28.10.2008 18:21:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:08:32 -0400
> "James Homuth" <james@the-jdh.com> wrote:
>
>> During an update attempt this afternoon, these little surprises were
>> waiting for me. I took a look at the archives, and naturally, google,
>> but all I found were lots of the same error, and no information on
>> it/what's broken. Anyone else having this particular problem? The
>> block errors are below.
>>
>> [blocks B ] sys-libs/ss (is blocking
>> sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
>>
>> [blocks B ] <sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41 (is blocking
>> sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
>>
>> [blocks B ] sys-libs/com_err (is blocking
>> sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
>>
>> [blocks B ] sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs (is blocking
>> sys-libs/ss-1.40.9,
>> sys-libs/com_err-1.40.9)
>>
>> This was during an emerge --update world.
>>

> emerge -C e2fsprogs, ss, com_err && emerge -1 e2fsprogs
>
> e2fsprogs is being restructured, which is causing the problem.

If you go the route of uninstalling things first, make sure that you
have the sources prepared as wget might not work for some use flag
combinations when you remove e2fsprogs, ss, com_err in advance.