Old 10-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Default ssh trouble

Yesterday's update to ssh (openssh-5.1_p1-r1) is giving me trouble.

The client is allan. The server is ajglap.

From the client (gnome-terminal) I can run ssh as follows

gottlieb@allan ~ $ ssh ajglap
Last login: Tue Oct 28 11:50:02 EDT 2008 from allan on ssh
Last login: Tue Oct 28 11:54:33 2008 from allan
xhost: unable to open display ""
gottlieb@ajglap ~ $

adding a -Y gives the same output

But I can't run other server programs from the client. The following
used to start emacs on the server displaying a new X11 window on the
client.

gottlieb@allan ~ $ ssh -Y ajglap emacs
emacs: standard input is not a tty
gottlieb@allan ~ $

removing the -Y gives the same output

I went to the server and created ~/.ssh/config with contents

ForwardX11Trusted yes

But this didn't help (I also tried the risky ForwardX11).

I am planning to downgrade, but wanted to ask here first if I have just
misconfigured something (bugs.gentoo.org didn't seem to have anything
relevant).

thanks,
allan

Old 10-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Brian Wince

[...]

Is "X11Forwarding yes" set in the sshd_config on ajglap?

brian