Old 10-25-2008, 07:06 PM
"b.n."

Default overlay eclass overrides eclass from PORTDIR: what is it?

Hi,
Syncing today gave me this message:

* Overlay eclass overrides eclass from PORTDIR:
*
* '/usr/portage/local/layman/desktop-effects/eclass/bzr.eclass'
*
* It is best to avoid overridding eclasses from PORTDIR because it will
* trigger invalidation of cached ebuild metadata that is distributed with
* the portage tree. If you must override eclasses from PORTDIR then you
* are advised to run `emerge --regen` after each time that you run `emerge
* --sync`. Set PORTAGE_ECLASS_WARNING_ENABLE="0" in /etc/make.conf if you
* would like to disable this warning.

Could anyone explain me what does it mean in practice?

Thanks,
m.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Mike Edenfield

b.n. wrote:

* Overlay eclass overrides eclass from PORTDIR:

Could anyone explain me what does it mean in practice?

The cause of this message is that one of the overlays you
have configured includes an eclass that already exists in
base portage. This happens when the overlay includes
ebuilds that require enhanced behavior from a current eclass.

The result of this message is that portage is going to run
slower than normal unless you do what the error recommends.
The short explanation is:

When you sync to a portage mirror, you download a set of
metadata cache files that were pre-generated and saved on
the mirror, that portage can use to build the dependancy
list. But the metadata cache is only valid if it has been
built using the exact same eclasses as you have locally;
changing an eclass could (potentially) alter the dependancy
graph. So when portage notices that your metadata is
outdated, it will stop using it and get slower.

If you run "emerge --regen" every time you sync, portage
rebuilds the metadata cache locally, with your copies of the
eclass files. This takes a *long* time (it takes 6+ hours
on some of my slower machines) but once it has been done,
portage will run faster.

There's nothing you can do to avoid the problem other than
not using the overlay in question.

--Mike

Old 10-29-2008, 01:53 AM
Iain Buchanan

Mike Edenfield wrote:

b.n. wrote:

* Overlay eclass overrides eclass from PORTDIR:

Could anyone explain me what does it mean in practice?

The cause of this message is that one of the overlays you have
configured includes an eclass that already exists in base portage. This
happens when the overlay includes ebuilds that require enhanced behavior
from a current eclass.

In this case, I think it's because parts of the desktop-effects overlay
are making it into the tree o/ so you'll notice some duplication until
this is finished.

Don't forget to layman -s ALL and this message might go away for this
instance.

BOFH Excuse #23:

improperly oriented keyboard