Old 10-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Nickolay Hodyunya

Default Why is postgresql so old?

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 04:28:02PM +0000, Konstantinos Agouros wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know I can activate newer version with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, but why is postgres
> at gentoo still at version 8.0 when the most current release is 8.3. Are
> there stability issues?
according to http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning
postgresql major version upgrades requires dump and restores, so it
should be upgrade issues. If you are going to use newer release, you
can install it, but in my opinion most of production servers requires
only minor version upgrades for bug fixes.
--
Regards, Nickolay Hodyunya.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:53 PM
"Vladimir Rusinov"

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Nickolay Hodyunya <nickolayh@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 04:28:02PM +0000, Konstantinos Agouros wrote:

> Hi,

> I know I can activate newer version with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, but why is postgres

> at gentoo still at version 8.0 when the most current release is 8.3. Are

> there stability issues?

according to http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning

postgresql major version upgrades requires dump and restores, so it

should be upgrade issues. If you are going to use newer release, you

can install it, but in my opinion most of production servers requires

only minor version upgrades for bug fixes.

Hmm...
May be slotting would be a good idea?

I like the way how it done in ubuntu (with some kind of extra overlay): it is possible to install e.g. 8.2 and 8.3 at the same time, and they would use different init scripts (with version suffix), different configs and everything different.

--
Vladimir Rusinov
http://greenmice.info/

Old 10-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Samstag, 25. Oktober 2008 18:53:50 schrieb Vladimir Rusinov:

> Hmm...
> May be slotting would be a good idea?

Looks like the devs had that idea already:

[i] dev-db/postgresql-base
Available versions:
(7.3) (~)7.3.21!t
(7.4) (~)7.4.19!t (~)7.4.21-r1!t
(8.0) (~)8.0.15!t (~)8.0.17!t
(8.1) (~)8.1.11!t (~)8.1.13!t
(8.2) (~)8.2.9!t (~)8.2.10!t
(8.3) (~)8.3.4!t

Bye...

Dirk

Old 10-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Samstag, 25. Oktober 2008 18:28:02 schrieb Konstantinos Agouros:

> I know I can activate newer version with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, but why is
> postgres at gentoo still at version 8.0 when the most current release is
> 8.3. Are there stability issues?

Maybe because of the switch to splitted, slotted ebuilds.

Bye...

Dirk