Old 10-25-2008, 03:53 AM

Default More whining about evdev and Xorg 1.5

I am beginning to feel that either I am incredibly dense or everybody
else is, unless absolutelyeverybody is, and I am one of the few who is
not too proud to admit it :-O

I have a ~amd64 system with xorg 1.5.2, and running without any X
config file is the only way I can get any kind of X system running,
but then various keys don't work -- LEFT, DOWN, END, PAGE DOWN at
least, but RIGHT, UP, INS, DEL, HOME, PAGE UP work. I have fvwm
configured to recognize the Windows MENU key but that doesn't work
now, however I am not worried about that now, and expect it is one of
the XkbOptions and not important right now. I could be wrong.

I have whatever defaults come in /etc/hal/fdi/policy. I have tried
variations in there, but they either do nothing or make it worse.

I have asked on the forums, used forum and google search, and this
seems to be a very common problem, yet the suggested solutions are all
over the map, and after trying several which had no effect or a bad
effect, I have gone back to no mods at all, a nice virgin X11 and Hal,
except I have a .xmodmaps which seems to make no difference so I just
leave it in place for the time being. I can live with this, not
happily, but better than fighting a downgrade.

Is there any definitive solution to this, any definitive guide?

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Old 10-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Geralt

Hi,

did you try "setkbmap" in a terminal to select manually your keyboard
layout, model and variant? I had some problems with my keyboard
layout, too some time ago and for me switching to the most recent
xorg-server package solved the issue.

Geralt.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:40 PM

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 05:28:01PM +0200, Geralt wrote:

> did you try "setkbmap" in a terminal to select manually your keyboard
> layout, model and variant? I had some problems with my keyboard
> layout, too some time ago and for me switching to the most recent
> xorg-server package solved the issue.

Well wholly son-of-a-gun ... I just tried setxkbmap (!) and it seems
to have restored all those keys. Good grief. Now I need to figure
out how I missed it and what else it does. The only problem left is
the Windows MENU key being misconfigured.

THANK YOU!