Old 10-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Default No more... more?

Am Donnerstag, 23. Oktober 2008 22:22:05 schrieb Mike Diehl:

> Surely this isn't what I'm supposed to install just to get "more." *Please
> advise.

In addition to what others wrote: less is more ;-).

Bye...

Dirk

Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Thursday 23 October 2008, 22:22, Mike Diehl wrote:

> The other day I was updating a fairly ancient system by trying to
> first clear out some emerge blockers. I've taken care of the
> blockers, but now I find that my system no longer has a more command:
>
> # more
> bash: more: command not found
>
> I also notice that sys-apps/more is masked:
>
> * sys-apps/more [ Masked ]
> Latest version available: 2.12r
> Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> Size of files: 1,338 kB
> Homepage: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/
> License: GPL-2
>
> Surely this isn't what I'm supposed to install just to get "more."
> Please advise.

$ qfile /bin/more
sys-apps/util-linux (/bin/more)

Did you by chance unmerge util-linux? Try re-emerging it.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 22:31:16 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> In addition to what others wrote: less is more ;-).

less is not more, less is more than more, but less is less than most :P

--
Neil Bothwick

Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 23 October 2008 22:31:16 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 23. Oktober 2008 22:22:05 schrieb Mike Diehl:
> > Surely this isn't what I'm supposed to install just to get "more."
> > *Please advise.
>
> In addition to what others wrote: less is more ;-).

Pah! You old-fashioned fogeys. Wake up and come into the 21st century:

most

it's more more than less

(Seriously. sys-apps/most.
And while you're at it, emerge sys-apps/dog. It's better than cat)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Donnerstag, 23. Oktober 2008 22:38:21 schrieb Alan McKinnon:

> (Seriously. sys-apps/most.
> And while you're at it, emerge sys-apps/dog. It's better than cat)

Sure it is!

Bye...

Dirk

Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Mike Diehl

On Thursday 23 October 2008 02:32:02 pm Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> On Thursday 23 October 2008, 22:22, Mike Diehl wrote:
> > The other day I was updating a fairly ancient system by trying to
> > first clear out some emerge blockers. I've taken care of the
> > blockers, but now I find that my system no longer has a more command:
> >
> > # more
> > bash: more: command not found
> >
> > I also notice that sys-apps/more is masked:
> >
> > * sys-apps/more [ Masked ]
> > Latest version available: 2.12r
> > Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> > Size of files: 1,338 kB
> > Homepage: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/
> > License: GPL-2
> >
> > Surely this isn't what I'm supposed to install just to get "more."
> > Please advise.
>
> $ qfile /bin/more
> sys-apps/util-linux (/bin/more)
>
> Did you by chance unmerge util-linux? Try re-emerging it.

Man, I don't remember unmerging util-linux, but it was late... Anyway, that
fixed it. Thank you.

--
Mike Diehl

Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Mike Diehl

On Thursday 23 October 2008 02:31:16 pm Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 23. Oktober 2008 22:22:05 schrieb Mike Diehl:
> > Surely this isn't what I'm supposed to install just to get "more."
> > *Please advise.
>
> In addition to what others wrote: less is more ;-).

This is true... more or less. <grin>

--
Mike Diehl

Old 10-23-2008, 09:40 PM
kashani

kashani wrote:

You didn't happen to unmerge coreutils did you because it was blocking?
If so that is the cause of your problems. I'm not sure how to recovery
from a lack of coreutils since most of your system binaries are now gone.

kashani

Oh good it wasn't coreutil. Watch out for that one if you run into it
though that problem might be older than your machine. Remove mktemp and
then emerge coretuils and you should be fine.

kashani

Old 10-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Stroller

Surely this isn't what I'm supposed to install just to get "more."
Please

advise.

In addition to what others wrote: less is more ;-).

And most isn't.

Stroller.