Old 10-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Mike Diehl

Default No more... more?

The other day I was updating a fairly ancient system by trying to first clear
out some emerge blockers. I've taken care of the blockers, but now I find
that my system no longer has a more command:

# more
bash: more: command not found

I also notice that sys-apps/more is masked:

* sys-apps/more [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.12r
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 1,338 kB
Homepage: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/
License: GPL-2

Surely this isn't what I'm supposed to install just to get "more." Please
advise.

--
Mike Diehl

Old 10-23-2008, 08:27 PM
kashani

Mike Diehl wrote:
The other day I was updating a fairly ancient system by trying to first clear
out some emerge blockers. I've taken care of the blockers, but now I find
that my system no longer has a more command:

# more
bash: more: command not found

I also notice that sys-apps/more is masked:

* sys-apps/more [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.12r
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 1,338 kB
Homepage: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/
License: GPL-2

Surely this isn't what I'm supposed to install just to get "more." Please
advise.

You didn't happen to unmerge coreutils did you because it was blocking?
If so that is the cause of your problems. I'm not sure how to recovery
from a lack of coreutils since most of your system binaries are now gone.

kashani

Old 10-23-2008, 08:27 PM
"Andrey Falko"

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Mike Diehl <mdiehl@diehlnet.com> wrote:
> The other day I was updating a fairly ancient system by trying to first clear
> out some emerge blockers. I've taken care of the blockers, but now I find
> that my system no longer has a more command:
>
> # more
> bash: more: command not found
>
> I also notice that sys-apps/more is masked:
>
> * sys-apps/more [ Masked ]
> Latest version available: 2.12r
> Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> Size of files: 1,338 kB
> Homepage: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/
> License: GPL-2
>
> Surely this isn't what I'm supposed to install just to get "more." Please
> advise.
>
> --
> Mike Diehl

You probably will get more by reemerging this package: sys-apps/util-linux

emerge -1 util-linux

At least there is the package that currently provides more on my system.

Either way, I'd recommend what the more man page recommends: use less.
Direct quote from my more man page:

"More is a filter for paging through text one screenful at a time.
This version is especially primitive. Users should realize that
less(1) provides more(1) emulation and extensive enhancements."