Old 10-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Philip Webb

Default progress everywhere !

081019 Philip Webb wrote:
> OO 3.0.0 compiled successfully in 2 h 29 m on this Core2 Duo machine,
> but needed 5,3 MB temporary disk space (ok here, but others beware).

Sorry, that's >= 5,3 GB ... (red face)

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 10-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Dale

Philip Webb wrote:
> 081019 Philip Webb wrote:
>
>> OO 3.0.0 compiled successfully in 2 h 29 m on this Core2 Duo machine,
>> but needed 5,3 MB temporary disk space (ok here, but others beware).
>>

> Sorry, that's >= 5,3 GB ... (red face)

Don't worry, we knew that was a boo boo. OOo can't even load in that
little bit of ram much less compile.

I'm in the download step and will be for a loooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggg
time. Stinking dial-up. I need a lappy and a McDonalds burger.
Wireless broadband there.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 19 October 2008 07:25:28 Philip Webb wrote:
> OO 3.0.0 compiled successfully in 2 h 29 m on this Core2 Duo machine,
> but needed 5,3 MB temporary disk space (ok here, but others beware).
> It opened my usual spreadsheets & word-processing files correctly,
> but the toolbar needs attention tomorrow. Download is 346 MB .

Build time is coming down I see. The first time I build OOo (on a 686 amd) it
took 12 hours. Now I get similar to you - 2h14

> Does anyone know why it wants 'xulrunner', which is not a use flag here ?

It's this:

DEPEND="${COMMON_DEPEND}
nsplugin? ( || ( net-libs/xulrunner:1.8 net-libs/xulrunner:1.9
=www-client/seamonkey-1* )
>=dev-libs/nspr-4.6.6
>=dev-libs/nss-3.11-r1 )

And later we have this snippet:

pkg_setup() {
if use nsplugin; then
if pkg-config --exists libxul; then
BRWS="libxul"
elif pkg-config --exists xulrunner-xpcom; then
BRWS="xulrunner"
elif pkg-config --exists seamonkey-xpcom; then
BRWS="seamonkey"
else
die "USE flag [nsplugin] set but no installed
xulrunner or seamonkey found!"
fi
fi
}

So basically it is dependant on the nsplugin USE flag, and will look for
xulrunner or seamonkey to build against. If neither are found, you have an
error condition.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-19-2008, 01:19 PM
luis jure

on 2008-10-19 at 01:25 Philip Webb wrote:

>Dillo 2.0 has been announced:

well, _that_ is good news.

visiting the dillo home page (http://www.dillo.org/) i see that dillo
2.0 has been released, and there's even something about 2.1 in the
changelog. would it be too difficult to update the ebuild?

best,

lj

Old 10-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-10-19, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 19 October 2008 07:25:28 Philip Webb wrote:
>> OO 3.0.0 compiled successfully in 2 h 29 m on this Core2 Duo machine,
>> but needed 5,3 MB temporary disk space (ok here, but others beware).
>> It opened my usual spreadsheets & word-processing files correctly,
>> but the toolbar needs attention tomorrow. Download is 346 MB .
>
> Build time is coming down I see. The first time I build OOo (on a 686 amd) it
> took 12 hours. Now I get similar to you - 2h14

On some of my machines it still takes 12+ hours.

--
Grant

Old 10-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Philip Webb

081019 Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2008-10-19, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sunday 19 October 2008 07:25:28 Philip Webb wrote:
>>> OO 3.0.0 compiled successfully in 2 h 29 m on this Core2 Duo machine,
>>> but needed 5,3 GB temporary disk space (ok here, but others beware).
>> The first time I build OOo (on a 686 amd) it took 12 hours.
>> Now I get similar to you - 2h14
> On some of my machines it still takes 12+ hours.

On my back-up machine (AMD 2500+ , memory 1 GB : 2003), 2.4.1 took > 5 hr .
My everyday box (Core 2 Duo 2650 , memory 2 GB (faster FSB) : 2007),
OO 2.4.1 took 2 h 14 m , so 3.0.0 is a bit more time-consuming;
the download is much more: 346 MB against c 200 MB
(that doesn't include the wretched Xulrunner: 75 MB & 15 m to compile).
I suspect there wb pleas for help from users who run out of disk space:
earlier versions needed < 3 GB , so this is a big jump,
esp as I have 2 GB memory (I didn't check how much it was using).

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 10-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Philip Webb

081019 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sunday 19 October 2008 07:25:28 Philip Webb wrote:
>> Does anyone know why it wants 'xulrunner', which is not a use flag here ?
> It's this [details snipped: thanks]:
> So basically it is dependant on the nsplugin USE flag
> and will look for xulrunner or seamonkey to build against.
> If neither are found, you have an error condition.

Thanks: Xulrunner is a big pkg in itself, but it seems unavoidable.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 10-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 19 October 2008 18:52:24 Philip Webb wrote:
> 081019 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 October 2008 07:25:28 Philip Webb wrote:
> >> Does anyone know why it wants 'xulrunner', which is not a use flag here
> >> ?
> >
> > It's this [details snipped: thanks]:
> > So basically it is dependant on the nsplugin USE flag
> > and will look for xulrunner or seamonkey to build against.
> > If neither are found, you have an error condition.
>
> Thanks: Xulrunner is a big pkg in itself, but it seems unavoidable.

For probably the first time ever, I just had a look at that. And I'm asking
myself - why does OOo have nsplugins support at all?

It's an office suite - I use it mostly to read documents other people send me,
and because antiword is a little too minimal. What could OOo possibly do in
my specific case that requires browser plugins? It's not like I'm in the
habit of embedding java and flash applets into impress presentations

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 19 October 2008 18:48:37 Philip Webb wrote:
> I suspect there wb pleas for help from users who run out of disk space:
> earlier versions needed *< 3 GB , so this is a big jump,
> esp as I have *2 GB *memory (I didn't check how much it was using).

I have 4.5G free in /var and I've already run out of disk space TWICE trying
to build OOo-3.0.0. I had to create a temporary logical volume and mount it
at /var/tmp/portage/ just to get the thing to build.

This is getting insane. Sun needs to have a good long hard look at this build
process - 5G+ to build a package that totals 380M when installed is just a
tad over the top in my book

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-19-2008, 08:23 PM
KH

Philip Webb schrieb:
> 081019 Philip Webb wrote:
>
>> OO 3.0.0 compiled successfully in 2 h 29 m on this Core2 Duo machine,
>> but needed 5,3 MB temporary disk space (ok here, but others beware).
>>

> Sorry, that's >= 5,3 GB ... (red face)

Thanks for that info. Than I will have to build it without tmpfs. It's
much faster when it's only in ram.

kh