Old 10-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Bumping (was:usb webcam)

On Saturday 18 October 2008 11:49:39 Stroller wrote:
> On 17 Oct 2008, at 21:52, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
> > bump
>
> Please don't do that here.

[New thread for the benefit of thread-aware mailer users]

I hate that too. Actually it annoys me intensely, especially when people have
never read ESR's essay on writing intelligent questions and bump after 6
hours. Or forget that the list is international and there are timezones.

But, it can be a useful mechanism. Probably something worthy of discussion:

We can't always assume that no replies automatically means no-one reading the
list knows the answer. Folk often go away for a week and simply delete list
mail when they return, or can't be bothered reading the list for a few days.
Sometimes people just can't be bothered answering (I do this quite a lot)

There can be many reasons for people who can answer and don't. So, assuming
that the question was intelligently asked the first time, what is an
acceptable way around here to produce the intended effect of a forum-style
bump?

I'll go first and offer my usual way: wait 3 days to a week and re-post in a
new thread. Say up front that it's a repost and add any new relevant data.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Saturday 18 October 2008 11:49:39 Stroller wrote:
>
>> On 17 Oct 2008, at 21:52, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
>>
>>> bump
>>>
>> Please don't do that here.
>>

> [New thread for the benefit of thread-aware mailer users]
>
> I hate that too. Actually it annoys me intensely, especially when people have
> never read ESR's essay on writing intelligent questions and bump after 6
> hours. Or forget that the list is international and there are timezones.
>
> But, it can be a useful mechanism. Probably something worthy of discussion:
>
> We can't always assume that no replies automatically means no-one reading the
> list knows the answer. Folk often go away for a week and simply delete list
> mail when they return, or can't be bothered reading the list for a few days.
> Sometimes people just can't be bothered answering (I do this quite a lot)
>
> There can be many reasons for people who can answer and don't. So, assuming
> that the question was intelligently asked the first time, what is an
> acceptable way around here to produce the intended effect of a forum-style
> bump?
>
> I'll go first and offer my usual way: wait 3 days to a week and re-post in a
> new thread. Say up front that it's a repost and add any new relevant data.

Since I use Seamonkey and read each one to see if I can even remotely
provide help, I can't say that it would ever do any good from my point.
Maybe it would if someone else is using the web based reader or it was
posted on the forums but no point here.

I guess the only thing that gets on my nerves is personal attacks so not
much bothers me anyway. Text or HTML, doesn't bother me. Top posting
does when you have to bounce back and forth across five or six replies
but I'm usually seasick by then anyway. o_O Bad subject lines don't
help much but they usually get the idea when no one replies after a
while. At least here we are pretty sure what distro they are using
unlike the KDE mailing list.

Just don't see where bumping would help any here. Could be wrong tho.
Wouldn't be the first time for that. -_o

Dale

:-) :-)