Old 10-17-2008, 05:23 PM
RYAN vAN GINNEKEN

Default usb webcam

Hello all i have a fairly fresh install of Gentoo 2008 and am trying to get my old usb webcam to work. Have tried to install spca5xx and gspca with emerge but always get the following errors for both. This is worry some as i would like the system to be as stable as possible but need my webcam to work.

Calculating dependencies /
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "media-video/spca5xx" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- media-video/spca5xx-20060501-r2 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Mike Doty <kingtaco@gentoo.org> (24 Mar 2007)
# Sorting out media-video/{spca5xx,gspca{,v1}} bug 159176

- media-video/spca5xx-20060501-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
- media-video/spca5xx-20060501 (masked by: package.mask)
- media-video/spca5xx-20060402 (masked by: package.mask)
- media-video/spca5xx-20060301 (masked by: package.mask)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

So i read the in handbook googled around a bit and added these to the /etc/portage/package.keywords however this did not work.

media-video/gspca
media-video/spca5xx

Also i added these to the /etc/portage/package.unmask

media-video/gspca
media-video/spca5xx

Still a no go what am i doing wrong or SHOULD I BE USING DIFFERENT DRIVERS FOR MY WEBCAM ALL TOGETHER it is a USB 3com home connect viacam

ps the gentoo wiki is broken as there seems to be some relevant information there about getting a webcam to work but i cannot access it.

Computer King & CaN Mail - Sales Service Hosting Backup

http://www.computerking.ca http://www.canmail.org

NEW!!! Custom Service Packages
Secure IMAP Email - Automated Remote Backups - Photo Blogs - Online Accounting Packages