FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default update world drives me nuts

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:07:42 +0200 (CEST), Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> emerge --update --deep --pretend world
>
> but it stops early with
> All ebuilds that could satisfy
> ">=app-admin/system-tools-backends-1.3.0" have been masked. !!! One of
> the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
> - app-admin/system-tools-backends-2.6.0-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
>
>
> Doing an
> equery depends app-admin/system-tools-backends
> doesn't show anything.
>
> Furthermore that package isn't installed, yet.

Most likely, an update to a package you already have now requires this.
Either mask the update or unmask the package it needs. If the package
requiring this is not currently masked in the portage tree, this is a bug
and should be reported on bugzilla, although I'd sync and try again
before reporting it.

> How can I find out which package needs this mask package?

Add --tree to the emerge command.


--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 01E: Timing error - Please wait. And wait. And wait. And wait.
 
Old 10-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Helmut Jarausch
 
Default update world drives me nuts

On 17 Oct, Xav' wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:07:42 +0200 (CEST), Helmut Jarausch
> <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> hopefully someone can help me!
>>
>> Trying to update one of my machines I did
>>
>> emerge --update --deep --pretend world
>>
>> but it stops early with
>> All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=app-admin/system-tools-backends-1.3.0"
>> have been masked.
>> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
>> request:
>> - app-admin/system-tools-backends-2.6.0-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
>
> As portage tell you, you have to check the package.mask file in
> /etc/portage, where it seems that the version 1.3.0 is masked.

This doesn't contain a mask but
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask contains
>=app-admin/system-tools-backends-2

So, is this a bug?

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany
 
Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Helmut Jarausch
 
Default update world drives me nuts

On 17 Oct, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:07:42 +0200 (CEST), Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>
>> emerge --update --deep --pretend world
>>
>> but it stops early with
>> All ebuilds that could satisfy
>> ">=app-admin/system-tools-backends-1.3.0" have been masked. !!! One of
>> the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
>> - app-admin/system-tools-backends-2.6.0-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
>>
>>
>> Doing an
>> equery depends app-admin/system-tools-backends
>> doesn't show anything.
>>
>> Furthermore that package isn't installed, yet.
>
> Most likely, an update to a package you already have now requires this.
> Either mask the update or unmask the package it needs. If the package
> requiring this is not currently masked in the portage tree, this is a bug
> and should be reported on bugzilla, although I'd sync and try again
> before reporting it.
>
>> How can I find out which package needs this mask package?
>
> Add --tree to the emerge command.
>

Unfortunately this doesn't help (and I have resynced just before)
E.g. here is the complete output of
emerge --tree --update --deep --pretend world

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies ... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=app-admin/system-tools-backends-1.3.0" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- app-admin/system-tools-backends-2.6.0-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org> (24 Jan 2008)
# add masked gnome-system-tools-2.20 and dependencies
# for testing purpose

- app-admin/system-tools-backends-2.4.2 (masked by: package.mask)
- app-admin/system-tools-backends-1.4.2-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org> (12 Apr 2008)
# Masking gnome-system-tools because it is broken,
# to help fix it, see bug #214265


--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany
 
Old 10-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default update world drives me nuts

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:46:19 +0200 (CEST), Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> E.g. here is the complete output of
> emerge --tree --update --deep --pretend world
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ... done!
>
> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy
> ">=app-admin/system-tools-backends-1.3.0" have been masked. !!! One of
> the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
> - app-admin/system-tools-backends-2.6.0-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
> # Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org> (24 Jan 2008)
> # add masked gnome-system-tools-2.20 and dependencies
> # for testing purpose
>
> - app-admin/system-tools-backends-2.4.2 (masked by: package.mask)
> - app-admin/system-tools-backends-1.4.2-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
> # Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org> (12 Apr 2008)
> # Masking gnome-system-tools because it is broken,
> # to help fix it, see bug #214265
>

emerge normally tells you the package that requires the masked
dependency. Does adding --verbose give any more detail?

Do you have anything in /etc/portage/package.unmask that may affect this?
If not, you have found a bug in the tree, because non-masked packages
shouldn't depend on masked ones.


--
Neil Bothwick

This screen intentionally left blank.
 
Old 10-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Dan Cowsill
 
Default update world drives me nuts

mv /etc/portage/package.mask /etc/portage/package.mask.back
emerge -uDNp world

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> This doesn't contain a mask but
> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask contains
>> =app-admin/system-tools-backends-2
>
> So, is this a bug?
>
 
Old 10-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Helmut Jarausch
 
Default update world drives me nuts

On 17 Oct, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:46:19 +0200 (CEST), Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>
>> E.g. here is the complete output of
>> emerge --tree --update --deep --pretend world
>>
>> These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
>>
>> Calculating dependencies ... done!
>>
>> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy
>> ">=app-admin/system-tools-backends-1.3.0" have been masked. !!! One of
>> the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
>> - app-admin/system-tools-backends-2.6.0-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
>> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
>> # Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org> (24 Jan 2008)
>> # add masked gnome-system-tools-2.20 and dependencies
>> # for testing purpose
>>
>> - app-admin/system-tools-backends-2.4.2 (masked by: package.mask)
>> - app-admin/system-tools-backends-1.4.2-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
>> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
>> # Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org> (12 Apr 2008)
>> # Masking gnome-system-tools because it is broken,
>> # to help fix it, see bug #214265
>>
>
> emerge normally tells you the package that requires the masked
> dependency. Does adding --verbose give any more detail?
>
> Do you have anything in /etc/portage/package.unmask that may affect this?
> If not, you have found a bug in the tree, because non-masked packages
> shouldn't depend on masked ones.
>
>

Thanks, --verbose did the trick.
There was gnome-system-tools installed.
After unmerging it, this problem was solved.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org