Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default update world drives me nuts

Hi,
hopefully someone can help me!

Trying to update one of my machines I did

emerge --update --deep --pretend world

but it stops early with
All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=app-admin/system-tools-backends-1.3.0" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- app-admin/system-tools-backends-2.6.0-r1 (masked by: package.mask)

Doing an
equery depends app-admin/system-tools-backends
doesn't show anything.

Furthermore that package isn't installed, yet.

How can I find out which package needs this mask package?

Many thanks for a hint,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 10-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Xav'

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:07:42 +0200 (CEST), Helmut Jarausch
<jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> hopefully someone can help me!
>
> Trying to update one of my machines I did
>
> emerge --update --deep --pretend world
>
> but it stops early with
> All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=app-admin/system-tools-backends-1.3.0"
> have been masked.
> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> request:
> - app-admin/system-tools-backends-2.6.0-r1 (masked by: package.mask)

As portage tell you, you have to check the package.mask file in
/etc/portage, where it seems that the version 1.3.0 is masked.

> Doing an
> equery depends app-admin/system-tools-backends
> doesn't show anything.
>
> Furthermore that package isn't installed, yet.
>
> How can I find out which package needs this mask package?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
>
> Helmut Jarausch
>
> Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
> RWTH - Aachen University