-   -   Is gentoo-portage and gentoo-wiki offline? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/177974-gentoo-portage-gentoo-wiki-offline.html)

KH 10-17-2008 10:20 AM

Is gentoo-portage and gentoo-wiki offline?

Hi,

I cannot reach:

http://gentoo-portage.com/
http://gentoo-wiki.com

Are those websites off the air right now? Does anybody know when they
will be back?
Are there any substitutes to those web pages? I still miss
packages.gentoo.org as it used to be :-(

see also:
http://packages.larrythecow.org/

kh

Dale 10-17-2008 10:56 AM

KH wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I cannot reach:
>
> http://gentoo-portage.com/
> http://gentoo-wiki.com
>
> Are those websites off the air right now? Does anybody know when they
> will be back?
> Are there any substitutes to those web pages? I still miss
> packages.gentoo.org as it used to be :-(
>
> see also:
> http://packages.larrythecow.org/
>
> kh

Mississippi USA reporting here. Nothing here either. Seamonkey reports
"looking up " then nothing. Not sure what the problem is tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Norberto Bensa 10-17-2008 11:09 AM

On Friday October 17 2008 07:56:10 Dale wrote:
> Not sure what the problem is tho.

They're compiling 2.6.27-gentoo with -j11 on the same box that runs wiki;
which, btw, is a 386sx with 4MB of RAM. Please be patient, it will take a few
weeks.

Dan Cowsill 10-17-2008 01:21 PM

Is gentoo-portage and gentoo-wiki offline?

Looks like they're both down for me too.

For future reference, this site is extraordinarily useful...
http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Steve Wilson 10-17-2008 02:12 PM

On Friday 17 October 2008 06:09:20 am Norberto Bensa wrote:
> On Friday October 17 2008 07:56:10 Dale wrote:
> > Not sure what the problem is tho.
>
> They're compiling 2.6.27-gentoo with -j11 on the same box that runs wiki;
> which, btw, is a 386sx with 4MB of RAM. Please be patient, it will take a
> few weeks.

Is this computer (term used lightly), in the USA ?

Steve

fire-eyes 10-17-2008 02:57 PM

KH wrote:

Hi,

I cannot reach:

http://gentoo-portage.com/
http://gentoo-wiki.com

Are those websites off the air right now? Does anybody know when they
will be back?
Are there any substitutes to those web pages? I still miss
packages.gentoo.org as it used to be :-(

see also:
http://packages.larrythecow.org/

kh

The domain was allowed to expire first. I see it's been given another
year. The current problem is neither of the nameservers listed for it
reply, they just time out.

Also to be clear, these are run by someone outside of gentoo.

Dale 10-17-2008 07:45 PM

Norberto Bensa wrote:

> it will take a few
> weeks.

Weeks? That's funny as heck right there. Git-r-done . . . . slowly.

Reminds me of the joke, how do you eat a elephant?

Dale

:-) :-)

Alan McKinnon 10-17-2008 09:22 PM

On Friday 17 October 2008 21:45:05 Dale wrote:
> Norberto Bensa wrote:
> > it will take a few
> > weeks.
>
> Weeks? That's funny as heck right there. Git-r-done . . . . slowly.
>
> Reminds me of the joke, how do you eat a elephant?

by starting at the trunk?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN 10-17-2008 09:27 PM

Is gentoo-portage and gentoo-wiki offline?

heehee have been wanting to get onboard with gentoo for a while now how ironic that the wiki site i was so looking forward to using is down the same day my gentoo box is up heehee.

ps the bsd like nature of gentoo did it for me or was it that super cool spaceship logo probably the more the logo. I love spaceships

Computer King & CaN Mail - Sales Service Hosting Backup

http://www.computerking.ca http://www.canmail.org

NEW!!! Custom Service Packages
Secure IMAP Email - Automated Remote Backups - Photo Blogs - Online Accounting Packages

Alan McKinnon 10-17-2008 09:53 PM

On Friday 17 October 2008 23:27:44 RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
> heehee have been wanting to get onboard with gentoo for a while now how
> ironic that the wiki site i was so looking forward to using is down the
> same day my gentoo box is up heehee.

Let's see, how shall I put this? Oh stuff it, might as well be honest.

gentoo-wiki.com is notorious for being up and down more often than you change
your underwear. It's also been compromised at least twice in the last 12
months. The home page was last updated so long ago I'm no longer sure if it
was still in this millenium.

The content on it is even less reliable than the nonsense you will find
spouted off on Ubuntu forums (and that's saying something...)

For someone starting out with Gentoo I would be inclined to persuade you[1] to
avoid gentoo-wiki at all costs for a while. The real info, the true stuff, is
to be found on the official Gentoo site and right here on this list (of
course!)

Don't let this put you off - Gentoo is great, the wiki is just not so great.

Cheers
alan

[1] This step is often successfully completed by application of a very big
stick :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com