Old 10-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Mick

Default Continue ftp upload without clobbering

Hi All,

Is there a way to continue uploading a large file after the ftp link fails,
only from the point where it failed onwards? I noticed tnftp (which I use)
has the append command, but this appends the complete file from the start
after the partial uploaded file, rather than continuing where it had stopped.

I am really looking for some clever way to perform the ftp equivalent of
wget -c sort of thing and if it can do that unattended then that would be
even better!
Mick

Old 10-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Willie Wong

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:25:08PM +0100, Penguin Lover Mick squawked:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there a way to continue uploading a large file after the ftp link fails,
> only from the point where it failed onwards? I noticed tnftp (which I use)
> has the append command, but this appends the complete file from the start
> after the partial uploaded file, rather than continuing where it had stopped.
>
> I am really looking for some clever way to perform the ftp equivalent of
> wget -c sort of thing and if it can do that unattended then that would be
> even better!

lftp has 'put -c'/'reput', but it may just restart from the beginning,
depending on whether the server likes it. (I've never have to try
it...)

If you have ssh access, try sftp, I think the standard draft for sftp
does define a write offset which can be used for resuming uploads.

"And this goes as...What did I get wrong? I should end up with 3/2 and I have
1/2, so I've just revolutionized physics unless someone sees the problem."
~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 678 days, 21:30

Old 10-16-2008, 11:17 PM
"Paul Hartman"

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there a way to continue uploading a large file after the ftp link fails,
> only from the point where it failed onwards? I noticed tnftp (which I use)
> has the append command, but this appends the complete file from the start
> after the partial uploaded file, rather than continuing where it had stopped.
>
> I am really looking for some clever way to perform the ftp equivalent of
> wget -c sort of thing and if it can do that unattended then that would be
> even better!

You need to use the REST command to tell the server the position at
which you're going to resume, and then the client must send data from
there on. (I believe)