Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 PM
David Wei

Default Prevent sshd from stopping?

I think one passive way is to use "screen" ,and detach the "screen" when you donot communicate with it. It can at least keep you program running in the background.
This will not help if you need to have continual communication with your console.

On my laptop,i use ndiswrapper as the wireless module,the wireless lancard so named wlan0. It's never stopped or restarted no mater how weak the signal was.

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:24:42 -0700
Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> One of my Gentoo systems is located in a separate building from the
> router. The wireless connection always seems to be strong, but
> periodically the services that depend on net.ath0 stop because it
> loses the connection. Issuing 'rc' always brings them back. Is there
> any way to prevent this from happening? I'm mainly concerned about
> sshd.
>
> - Grant

-------------------------------
*亮 David Wei

您可以通过下面的方式和我联系:
MSN: inadavid@hotmail.com
Gtalk: inadavid@gmail.com
Email: davidwei@newbread.tj.cn

Old 10-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Sebastian Gnther

* Grant (emailgrant@gmail.com) [16.10.08 01:26]:
> One of my Gentoo systems is located in a separate building from the
> router. The wireless connection always seems to be strong, but
> periodically the services that depend on net.ath0 stop because it
> loses the connection. Issuing 'rc' always brings them back. Is there
> any way to prevent this from happening? I'm mainly concerned about
> sshd.
>
> - Grant

Then let them depend on net.lo.

HTH
Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 10-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Grant

>> One of my Gentoo systems is located in a separate building from the
>> router. The wireless connection always seems to be strong, but
>> periodically the services that depend on net.ath0 stop because it
>> loses the connection. Issuing 'rc' always brings them back. Is there
>> any way to prevent this from happening? I'm mainly concerned about
>> sshd.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> Then let them depend on net.lo.

Sounds good, do I need to edit /etc/init.d/sshd to do that, or is
there a better way?

- Grabt

Old 10-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 16 October 2008 16:49:06 Grant wrote:
> >> One of my Gentoo systems is located in a separate building from the
> >> router. The wireless connection always seems to be strong, but
> >> periodically the services that depend on net.ath0 stop because it
> >> loses the connection. Issuing 'rc' always brings them back. Is there
> >> any way to prevent this from happening? I'm mainly concerned about
> >> sshd.
> >>
> >> - Grant
> >
> > Then let them depend on net.lo.
>
> Sounds good, do I need to edit /etc/init.d/sshd to do that

yes

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Grant

>> One of my Gentoo systems is located in a separate building from the
>> router. The wireless connection always seems to be strong, but
>> periodically the services that depend on net.ath0 stop because it
>> loses the connection. Issuing 'rc' always brings them back. Is there
>> any way to prevent this from happening? I'm mainly concerned about
>> sshd.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> Then let them depend on net.lo.

What about sticking 'rc' in the crontab? No good?

- Grant

Old 10-18-2008, 04:40 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:15:19 -0700, Grant wrote:

> >> One of my Gentoo systems is located in a separate building from the
> >> router. The wireless connection always seems to be strong, but
> >> periodically the services that depend on net.ath0 stop because it
> >> loses the connection. Issuing 'rc' always brings them back. Is
> >> there any way to prevent this from happening? I'm mainly concerned
> >> about sshd.

> > Then let them depend on net.lo.
>
> What about sticking 'rc' in the crontab? No good?

What's wrong with setting RC_STRICT (?) appropriately, it's what it is
for. With the right setting, net.lo will satisfy sshd.

--
Neil Bothwick

If you are a fatalist, what can you do about it?

Old 10-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Grant

>> > Then let them depend on net.lo.
>>
>> What about sticking 'rc' in the crontab? No good?
>
> What's wrong with setting RC_STRICT (?) appropriately, it's what it is
> for. With the right setting, net.lo will satisfy sshd.

Thank you, I do think RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING is what I'm after.

- Grant