Old 10-15-2008, 05:14 PM

Default Slim: After zapping X fallback to console

Hi,

The login manager slim, which is started in daemon mode,
get killed when X is left by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
(zapping X) -- there is a fallback to the login of the
root console instead of getting a new login screen of slim.

How can I prevent this?

Kind regards,
mcc

Old 10-15-2008, 06:26 PM
"Liviu Andronic"

Hello,

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 7:14 PM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> The login manager slim, which is started in daemon mode,
> get killed when X is left by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
> (zapping X) -- there is a fallback to the login of the
> root console instead of getting a new login screen of slim.
>
> How can I prevent this?

I use
x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >% /dev/null
in /etc/inittab, instead of /etc/init.d/xdm. This seems to solve the
issue. SLiM 1.3.1 seems a bit buggy, however, on Gentoo (although
didn't try on other distributions). Version 1.3.0 was more stable.

Regards,
Liviu

Old 10-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Erik Hahn

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 07:14:08PM +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The login manager slim, which is started in daemon mode,
> get killed when X is left by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
> (zapping X) -- there is a fallback to the login of the
> root console instead of getting a new login screen of slim.

Is this actually a bug or intended behaviour? If it's a bug, is there a
version that works properly?

--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR

Old 10-15-2008, 09:46 PM
"Liviu Andronic"

On 10/15/08, Erik Hahn <erik_hahn@gmx.de> wrote:
> Is this actually a bug or intended behaviour? If it's a bug, is there a
> version that works properly?

The bug would relate more to /etc/init.d/xdm than to SLiM.
Liviu

Old 10-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> [08-10-16 03:54]:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 7:14 PM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> > The login manager slim, which is started in daemon mode,
> > get killed when X is left by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
> > (zapping X) -- there is a fallback to the login of the
> > root console instead of getting a new login screen of slim.
> >
> > How can I prevent this?
> >
> I use
> x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >% /dev/null
> in /etc/inittab, instead of /etc/init.d/xdm. This seems to solve the
> issue. SLiM 1.3.1 seems a bit buggy, however, on Gentoo (although
> didn't try on other distributions). Version 1.3.0 was more stable.
>
> Regards,
> Liviu

I am using slim 1.3.0....
I will try the inittab-patch, but it is only a workaround.
By the way: Is there a way to use different backgrounds for
slim and the desktop. I am using Icewm and that background
was overwritten by slim...

Thanks a lot for your help!

KLind regards,
mcc

Old 10-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Geralt

Hi,

actually there is nothing wrong with slim, you have to remember that
slim is an X-application, so killing X also kills all applications
using X (including X-based login-managers). To fix this xdm needs to
restart slim, or you use /etc/inittab. You should also realize that
using /etc/inittabs respawn option is no workaround but a perfectly
legal solution to automatically respawn your graphical environment.
In Archlinux for example it's the suggested way to handle this.

Although it would be possible to include this respawning into slim
(and I suppose that gdm and kdm have this feature?) it is much more
work than checking in xdm is slim is still up and if not restarting it
(since xdm is slim's parent process it gets even informed about it, so
no polling would be necessary!).

Geralt.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:29 PM

Hi,

for what purpose slim offers a dameon mode? What is
the difference between starting slim in dameon and
in "normal" mode ?

Meino

Geralt <usr.gentoo@googlemail.com> [08-10-16 17:45]:

Old 10-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Erik Hahn

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 05:38:26PM +0200, Geralt wrote:
> Although it would be possible to include this respawning into slim
> (and I suppose that gdm and kdm have this feature?) it is much more
> work than checking in xdm is slim is still up and if not restarting it
> (since xdm is slim's parent process it gets even informed about it, so
> no polling would be necessary!).

xdm isn't slim's parent process, slim is a replacement for xdm. Or do
you mean the xdm init script?

-Erik

--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR

Old 10-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Benjamin Leggett

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:29:31 +0200
Erik Hahn <erik_hahn@gmx.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 07:14:08PM +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > The login manager slim, which is started in daemon mode,
> > get killed when X is left by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
> > (zapping X) -- there is a fallback to the login of the
> > root console instead of getting a new login screen of slim.
>
> Is this actually a bug or intended behaviour? If it's a bug, is there
> a version that works properly?

It's supposed to do this. GDM, and I think KDM, both respawn after being
killed, but IMHO this isn't a good thing. If you kill something, you
don't want it coming back to life by itself. If there's a problem
somewhere in your X server and the disply manager constantly dies and
tries to restart, that can get annoying. It's not in slim because it
shouldn't really be default behaviour. Might not be bad to provide an
conf file option for this behavior, though.

--
I try to uphold the ideals that I was taught to value as an American,
but every year I get less and less help from the United States.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:52 PM
"Paul Hartman"

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Benjamin Leggett <algosystem@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:29:31 +0200
> Erik Hahn <erik_hahn@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 07:14:08PM +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > The login manager slim, which is started in daemon mode,
>> > get killed when X is left by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
>> > (zapping X) -- there is a fallback to the login of the
>> > root console instead of getting a new login screen of slim.
>>
>> Is this actually a bug or intended behaviour? If it's a bug, is there
>> a version that works properly?
>
> It's supposed to do this. GDM, and I think KDM, both respawn after being
> killed, but IMHO this isn't a good thing. If you kill something, you
> don't want it coming back to life by itself. If there's a problem
> somewhere in your X server and the disply manager constantly dies and
> tries to restart, that can get annoying. It's not in slim because it
> shouldn't really be default behaviour. Might not be bad to provide an
> conf file option for this behavior, though.

You can try Qingy as an alternative for using an xdm:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Fix_The_Login_Security_Hole