Old 10-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Albert Hopkins

Default Is an Intel motherboard RAID better or worse than software RAID?

Your mobo RAID is most likely software/BIOS RAID (what some people call
"fake" RAID). The point is it's software that's doing the real work.

If you want to be sure your data is still readable in the event that
your mobo dies and you can't find a replacement with the same "fake"
RAID controller, stick with Linux kernel RAID.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Pintér Tibor

If you want to be sure your data is still readable in the event that
your mobo dies and you can't find a replacement with the same "fake"
RAID controller, stick with Linux kernel RAID.

...or buy a 3ware/areca/adaptec card, which is 100% supported.
(but those are heavy bucks)

Old 10-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Wolfgang Liebich

Hi,

<SNIP>

> the howtos on gentoo-wiki worked well for me.

I'm working with them, too. Just one question remains: I want to use
udev. Do I have to create the md devices or does udev that for me?

> > - Put the root partition on another RAID1 (I thought about putting the
> > root filesystem into my LVM setup, too -- it is REALLY annoying if the
> > root partition get's to small),
>
> yeah, but if you have 20+ gb root is always big enough AFAIK lvm kills
> barriers. You use raid for better data security. So using lvm is a bit..
> contra productive.

Sorry, I'm neither a LVM nor a RAID export - could you please
elaborate on that?
I like LVM because of the convenience it adds.

> > - Build a RAID1 partition for the rest of the system (will be a LVM2
> > container)
> > - Build a last RAID0 partition for scratch data (/tmp, /var/tmp,
> > /usr/portage, scratch data).
>
> I have /tmp and /var/tmp on tmpfs - /tmp is so small it is not worth wasting a
> partition for it.

/tmp --- maybe now (4GB ram). /var/tmp - not sure (OpenOffice compile
comes to mind here :-)
Ciao,
Wolfgang