Old 10-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Wolfgang Liebich

Default Is an Intel motherboard RAID better or worse than software RAID?

Hi,
I'm in the process of setting up a new private computer. I've bought one
with two drives b/c I wanted to setup a RAID system - RAID1 for
important partitions, RAID0 for scratch files maybe.
Additionally I would like to use LVM2 --- on my work PC I've grown to
like the flexibility of that.
The Intel DQ35JO motherboard now supports some kind of mobo based RAID.
Is it better to use this HW raid, or to ignore that and use only the
linux kernel's software RAID.
Additionally the LVM2 utilities seem to have limited mirroring/striping
capabilities of their own - I only want to use RAID levels 0 and 1
anyways -- would LVM's methods be better here?

Inquiring mind wants to know!
- Wolfgang Liebich

Old 10-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Pintér Tibor

I'm in the process of setting up a new private computer. I've bought one
with two drives b/c I wanted to setup a RAID system - RAID1 for
important partitions, RAID0 for scratch files maybe.
Additionally I would like to use LVM2 --- on my work PC I've grown to
like the flexibility of that.
The Intel DQ35JO motherboard now supports some kind of mobo based RAID.
Is it better to use this HW raid, or to ignore that and use only the
linux kernel's software RAID.

thats not hardware raid, it never was, it never will be.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 15 October 2008 15:13:45 Pintér Tibor wrote:
> > I'm in the process of setting up a new private computer. I've bought one
> > with two drives b/c I wanted to setup a RAID system - RAID1 for
> > important partitions, RAID0 for scratch files maybe.
> > Additionally I would like to use LVM2 --- on my work PC I've grown to
> > like the flexibility of that.
> > The Intel DQ35JO motherboard now supports some kind of mobo based RAID.
> > Is it better to use this HW raid, or to ignore that and use only the
> > linux kernel's software RAID.
>
> thats not hardware raid, it never was, it never will be.

Rule of thumb:

For any machine you buy to use at home, dump the on-board RAID and use Linux
software raid instead.

Reason: kernel raid works, that on-board crap doesn't
Other reason: real hardware raid costs many times more than that entire
computer you bought for home use

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Hi,

since you seem to be german, there's an article about SW-/MoBo-/HW-RAID in the
current issue of c't magazine.

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733