Old 10-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Alex Schuster

Default KDM: Keyboard problems after X update

Hi there!

I'm in the middle of a world update, but X stuff seems to be updated now.
The problem is that the keyboard does not work as before.

It's a german keyboard. Here are expected keys, and the results:

[
]
@

Keys like @ (Alt-Gr q), | (Alt-Gr <) and ~ (Alt-Gr +} do not work at all.
Same goes for console switching via Ctrl-Alt-Fn.

There is a warning message in the X log, I assume this has to do with it:

[...]
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: Core Keyboard
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Keyboard0: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "de"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbLayout: "de"
(**) Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbVariant: "nodeadkeys"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler" (type:
Other)
(WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
[...]

There are quite some references to this message, but many are unresolved.
Someone installed xkbutils, this did not help me, and I do not see why it
should. Some people xmodmap a lot, but this would be a workaround, while
I am interested in a cleaner solution.

The weird thing is that this happens only when using KDM, not if I startx
from the text console. Does this ring a bell for someone?

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XKbModel" "pc105"
Option "XKbLayout" "de"
Option "XKbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Wonko

Old 10-15-2008, 01:09 PM
"Jean-Marc Beaune"

Hi,
*
Did emerge told you to update some config files?
*
/JM

--
Jean-Marc

Old 10-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Alex Schuster

Jean-Marc Beaune writes:

> Did emerge told you to update some config files?

Sure, LOTS. Especially in /usr/share/X11/xkb, which is now added to
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK. But everything has been updated already using
dispatch-conf.

Wonko

Old 10-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Alex Schuster

I wrote:

> I'm in the middle of a world update, but X stuff seems to be updated
> now. The problem is that the keyboard does not work as before.

I think the solution was to upgrade xorg-server. I thought it had already
been upgraded along with all the other X stuff, but it wasn't.

420 packages already built, 66 more packages to go. This 700 MHz mahine
definitely needs an upgrade.

Wonko