Old 10-15-2008, 01:36 AM
Grant

Default Installing outside of portage - segfault testing

motion keeps segfaulting on me, I've been over it with the motion
list, and we're down to this:

Quote:
i've checked with a gentoo user in #motion channel

wget
http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/motion/motion-3.2.10.1.tar.gz
tar xfvz motion-3.2.10.1.tar.gz
cd motion-3.2.10.1
./configure --with-developer-flags
edit Makefile ( from motion directoty ) remove -O2 de CFLAGS
make
./motion -n -d 10

No issues , working good ... so problem is in gentoo emerge / ebuild ..
or hardware problems
Won't that install files all over my system that I won't be able to
get rid of later? What would you guys do in this situation?

- Grant

Old 10-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Alex Schuster

Grant writes:
> motion keeps segfaulting on me, I've been over it with the motion
> list, and we're down to this:

Quote:
> i've checked with a gentoo user in #motion channel
>
> wget
> http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/motion/motion-3.2.10.1.ta
>r.gz tar xfvz motion-3.2.10.1.tar.gz
> cd motion-3.2.10.1
> ./configure --with-developer-flags
> edit Makefile ( from motion directoty ) remove -O2 de CFLAGS
> make
> ./motion -n -d 10
>

> No issues , working good ... so problem is in gentoo emerge / ebuild ..
> or hardware problems
>

> Won't that install files all over my system that I won't be able to
> get rid of later?

Not unless you issue a "make install", too. All stays in the local
directory where you unpacked the tarball. Works for simpe projects, but
other might need some files be installed in certain places.
Sometimes you can issue al "make uninstall" later to clean things up, but
this is not always the case.

> What would you guys do in this situation?

Doing the "make install", but in a specific directory, like /usr/local.
You can set this diretory with the --prefix option to configure. It seems
to be the default often anyway.

But then you clutter your /usr/local directory. So I suggest using stow,
or better, xstow, to install software. It goes like this:

cd myproject-1.2.3
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/myproject-1.2.3
make
su
emerge xstow
make install
cd /usr/local/stow
stow myproject-1.2.3

Now you have symlinks in /usr/local, as if you installed into /usr/local
directly. To uninstall, issue a 'xstow -D myproject-1.2.3' and
remove /usr/local/stow/myproject-1.2.3. All clean and tidy again.

Wonko

Old 10-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Grant

>> motion keeps segfaulting on me, I've been over it with the motion
>> list, and we're down to this:

Quote:
>> i've checked with a gentoo user in #motion channel
>>
>> wget
>> http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/motion/motion-3.2.10.1.ta
>>r.gz tar xfvz motion-3.2.10.1.tar.gz
>> cd motion-3.2.10.1
>> ./configure --with-developer-flags
>> edit Makefile ( from motion directoty ) remove -O2 de CFLAGS
>> make
>> ./motion -n -d 10
>>

>> No issues , working good ... so problem is in gentoo emerge / ebuild ..
>> or hardware problems
>>

>> Won't that install files all over my system that I won't be able to
>> get rid of later?
>
> Not unless you issue a "make install", too. All stays in the local
> directory where you unpacked the tarball. Works for simpe projects, but
> other might need some files be installed in certain places.
> Sometimes you can issue al "make uninstall" later to clean things up, but
> this is not always the case.
>
>> What would you guys do in this situation?
>
> Doing the "make install", but in a specific directory, like /usr/local.
> You can set this diretory with the --prefix option to configure. It seems
> to be the default often anyway.
>
> But then you clutter your /usr/local directory. So I suggest using stow,
> or better, xstow, to install software. It goes like this:
>
> cd myproject-1.2.3
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/myproject-1.2.3
> make
> su
> emerge xstow
> make install
> cd /usr/local/stow
> stow myproject-1.2.3
>
> Now you have symlinks in /usr/local, as if you installed into /usr/local
> directly. To uninstall, issue a 'xstow -D myproject-1.2.3' and
> remove /usr/local/stow/myproject-1.2.3. All clean and tidy again.
>
> Wonko

Thank you very much. 3.2.11 ended up fixing the segfault.

- Grant