FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Grant
 
Default ath5k in the kernel - where is it?

I'm using linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8 and I get:

# locate ath5k
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/Makefile
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/ath5k.h
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/base.c
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/base.h
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/debug.c
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/debug.h
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/hw.c
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/hw.h
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/initvals.c
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/phy.c
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/reg.h
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/regdom.c
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/regdom.h

but I can't find ath5k in menuconfig. Does anyone know where it is?

- Grant
 
Old 10-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default ath5k in the kernel - where is it?

On Tuesday 14 October 2008 19:38:54 Grant wrote:
> I'm using linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8 and I get:
>
> # locate ath5k
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/Makefile
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/ath5k.h
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/base.c
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/base.h
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/debug.c
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/debug.h
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/hw.c
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/hw.h
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/initvals.c
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/phy.c
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/reg.h
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/regdom.c
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-hardened-r8/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/regdom.h
>
> but I can't find ath5k in menuconfig. Does anyone know where it is?
>
> - Grant

Depends on: NETDEVICES && !S390 && PCI && MAC80211 && WLAN_80211 &&
EXPERIMENTAL

Note experimental. Then you'll find it in the usual obvious place in Drivers

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default ath5k in the kernel - where is it?

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:38:54 -0700, Grant wrote:

> but I can't find ath5k in menuconfig. Does anyone know where it is?

It won't show up in the menus if options on which it depends are not
selected, but it will show up when you use the search function - press /.


--
Neil Bothwick

"Come on! It's a whole new life out there!"
"Oh, no. Not another one!"
 
Old 10-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Grant
 
Default ath5k in the kernel - where is it?

>> but I can't find ath5k in menuconfig. Does anyone know where it is?
>
> It won't show up in the menus if options on which it depends are not
> selected, but it will show up when you use the search function - press /.

Thanks guys. Anybody tried it?

- Grant
 
Old 10-15-2008, 02:03 AM
Adam Carter
 
Default ath5k in the kernel - where is it?

> Thanks guys. Anybody tried it?

I've tried it. Works at home with WPA2 PSK, but I get a segfault (in wpa_supplicant IIRC) when I use it with WPA2 Enterprise (802.1x) at work. I think my laptop is 2.6.25-gentoo-r6 or r7.
 
Old 10-15-2008, 06:13 AM
Dirk Heinrichs
 
Default ath5k in the kernel - where is it?

Am Mittwoch 15 Oktober 2008 04:03:26 schrieb ext Adam Carter:

> I've tried it. Works at home with WPA2 PSK, but I get a segfault (in
> wpa_supplicant IIRC) when I use it with WPA2 Enterprise (802.1x) at work. I
> think my laptop is 2.6.25-gentoo-r6 or r7.

Could you post the output of lspci, please? I have stability problems with
madwifi on my system, so if you've got the same wlan chipset I would give it a
try also (with 2.6.27, then).

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@capgemini.com
Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: wwwkeys.pgp.net
 
Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Adam Carter
 
Default ath5k in the kernel - where is it?

> Could you post the output of lspci, please? I have stability
> problems with
> madwifi on my system, so if you've got the same wlan chipset
> I would give it a try also (with 2.6.27, then).

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

FWIW I had no stability issues with madwifi-ng 0.9.4 with wpa_supplicant 0.5.7 with 2.6.25-gentoo-r7, and IIRC that was with only the old 80211 stuff turned on in the kernel. (??IEEE80211 instead of MAC80211??)
 
Old 10-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Adam Carter
 
Default ath5k in the kernel - where is it?

Location:
Device Drivers --->[*] Network device support --->
Wireless LAN --->
<M> Atheros 5xxx wireless cards support

You also need;
Networking --->
Wireless --->
<M> Improved wireless configuration API
<M> Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack (mac80211)

It can co-exist with the old one at <M> Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack

(info from http://madwifi.org/wiki/About/ath5k)
 
Old 10-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Grant
 
Default ath5k in the kernel - where is it?

>> Could you post the output of lspci, please? I have stability
>> problems with
>> madwifi on my system, so if you've got the same wlan chipset
>> I would give it a try also (with 2.6.27, then).
>
> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

I have the same one.

> FWIW I had no stability issues with madwifi-ng 0.9.4 with wpa_supplicant 0.5.7 with 2.6.25-gentoo-r7, and IIRC that was with only the old 80211 stuff turned on in the kernel. (??IEEE80211 instead of MAC80211??)

Mine works great except it freezes the whole system when starting ath0
in master mode if I have SMP enabled in my kernel:

http://madwifi.org/ticket/1903

- Grant
 
Old 10-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Adam Carter
 
Default ath5k in the kernel - where is it?

> I've tried it. Works at home with WPA2 PSK, but I get a
> segfault (in wpa_supplicant IIRC) when I use it with WPA2
> Enterprise (802.1x) at work. I think my laptop is
> 2.6.25-gentoo-r6 or r7.

Update - no segfault with 2.6.27 with WPA2 Enterprise.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:11 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org