Old 10-14-2008, 03:45 PM
David Rioja

Default procmail+spamassassin user filters

Hello!
my mail users want to define their own individual antispam rules. I've
installed procmail in order to pipe messages through spamassassin but I
can't get it working. This is what I've done:

1.- I created ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs with the following line (just
for testing):

add_header all hello_you _TESTS_

2.- I created ~/.procmail with the following contents:

SHELL=/bin/sh
MAILDIR=$HOME/.maildir
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log

| spamassassin --prefs-file=$HOME/.spamassassin/user_prefs

# actually I had a separate rc file named spamassassin.rc with further
stuff

# but I've changed it for clearness

3.- I send myself a message: procmail.log echoes its processing but my
X-Spam-hello_you header is missing.

However, when I pipe an stored message by typing on the shell:

spamassassin < message_file

It returns me the message rewritten with my test header.

Piping to procmail with:

procmail < message_file

Creates another message file but without my text header.

Can anyone guess what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Willie Wong

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 05:45:02PM +0200, Penguin Lover David Rioja squawked:
> 2.- I created ~/.procmail with the following contents:
>
> SHELL=/bin/sh
> MAILDIR=$HOME/.maildir
> DEFAULT=$MAILDIR
> LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log
>
> | spamassassin --prefs-file=$HOME/.spamassassin/user_prefs

Is that all you have in the recipe? I thought a recipe always begins
with 0: ? From my procmailrc file:

-----------snip---------------
:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamc
----------endsnip-------------

since I use spamc/spamd. f makes it a filter and w waits for the
filter to finish.

Pintsize: I'm always naked!
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 676 days, 16:08

Old 10-15-2008, 07:08 AM
David Rioja

Willie Wong escribi:

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 05:45:02PM +0200, Penguin Lover David Rioja squawked:

2.- I created ~/.procmail with the following contents:

SHELL=/bin/sh
MAILDIR=$HOME/.maildir
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log

| spamassassin --prefs-file=$HOME/.spamassassin/user_prefs

Is that all you have in the recipe? I thought a recipe always begins
with 0: ? From my procmailrc file:

-----------snip---------------
:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamc
----------endsnip-------------

since I use spamc/spamd. f makes it a filter and w waits for the
filter to finish.

Ok, you win

I actually have this on .procmail

INCLUDERC=$HOME/.spamassassin.rc

instead of that line. In the file .spamassassin.rc I have:

:0fw

Old 10-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Willie Wong

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 09:08:49AM +0200, Penguin Lover David Rioja squawked:
> Willie Wong escribi?:
>> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 05:45:02PM +0200, Penguin Lover David Rioja
>> squawked:
>>
>>> 2.- I created ~/.procmail with the following contents:
>>>
>>> SHELL=/bin/sh
>>> MAILDIR=$HOME/.maildir
>>> DEFAULT=$MAILDIR
>>> LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log

>> Is that all you have in the recipe? I thought a recipe always begins
>> with 0: ? From my procmailrc file:
>>
>> -----------snip---------------
>> :0fw
>> | /usr/bin/spamc
>> ----------endsnip-------------
>>
>> since I use spamc/spamd. f makes it a filter and w waits for the
>> filter to finish.
>>
> Ok, you win
>
> I actually have this on .procmail
>
> INCLUDERC=$HOME/.spamassassin.rc
>
> instead of that line. In the file .spamassassin.rc I have:
>
> :0fw
> | spamassassin --prefs-file=$HOME/.spamassassin/user_prefs

Another really stupid question, when you sayin your .procmail file, do
you mean $HOME/.procmailrc ? I certainly hope you just have a typo,
and not named your file something that procmail does not know is the
config file.

(Was the ~/.maildir/procmail.log log file created?)

I am pretty sure the $HOME in your command should parse properly even
if procmail passes control to a subshell, so there shouldn't be any
reason why your recipe doesn't work.

"It was real. At least, if it wasn't real, it did support
them, and as that is what sofas are supposed to do, this,
by any test that mattered, was a real sofa. "
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 677 days, 13:59

Old 10-15-2008, 11:20 PM
David Wei

One more tip, the .procmailrc file should belong and only belong to the mail owner user(right 700),procmail refuse to run when the .procmailrc 's right is not properly set on my box.

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:24:34 -0400
Willie Wong <wwong@Princeton.EDU> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 09:08:49AM +0200, Penguin Lover David Rioja squawked:
> > Willie Wong escribi?:
> >> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 05:45:02PM +0200, Penguin Lover David Rioja
> >> squawked:

> >> Is that all you have in the recipe? I thought a recipe always begins
> >> with 0: ? From my procmailrc file:
> >>
> >> -----------snip---------------
> >> :0fw
> >> ----------endsnip-------------
> >>
> >> since I use spamc/spamd. f makes it a filter and w waits for the
> >> filter to finish.
> >>
> > Ok, you win
> >
> > I actually have this on .procmail
> >
> > INCLUDERC=$HOME/.spamassassin.rc
> >
> > instead of that line. In the file .spamassassin.rc I have:
> >
> > :0fw
> > | spamassassin --prefs-file=$HOME/.spamassassin/user_prefs
>
> Another really stupid question, when you sayin your .procmail file, do
> you mean $HOME/.procmailrc ? I certainly hope you just have a typo,
> and not named your file something that procmail does not know is the
> config file.
>
> (Was the ~/.maildir/procmail.log log file created?)
>
> I am pretty sure the $HOME in your command should parse properly even
> if procmail passes control to a subshell, so there shouldn't be any
> reason why your recipe doesn't work.

> "It was real. At least, if it wasn't real, it did support
> them, and as that is what sofas are supposed to do, this,
> by any test that mattered, was a real sofa. "
> Sortir en Pantoufles: up 677 days, 13:59

-------------------------------
*亮 David Wei

您可以通过下面的方式和我联系:
MSN: inadavid@hotmail.com
Gtalk: inadavid@gmail.com
Email: davidwei@newbread.tj.cn

Old 10-16-2008, 11:51 AM
David Rioja

Hello!

I had did both mistakes you said:

1.- My recipe file was named .procmail instead of .procmailrc
2.- My recipe file had permissions other than 700

Both from an outdated (or mistaken) howto (I've reported it to the author).

Now it's working. Note that the option

--prefs-file=$HOME/.spamassassin/user_prefs

is unnecesary as this is the default path to user_prefs.

Thanks a lot!

David Rioja Redondo
Tel. (34) 91 675 14 29
Fax: (34) 91 656 91 89