FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Networking broke after update: We only hotplug for ethernet interfaces

On Tuesday 14 October 2008 15:28:20 Grant Edwards wrote:
> My last "emerge -auvND world" appears to have broken the
> networking setup on my machine.
>
> I use tun/tap networking in order to allow Qemu virtual
> machines to show up on the network, so my /etc/conf.d/net looks
> like this:
>
> bridge_br0="eth0"
>
> config_br0=( "dhcp" )
> dhcpcd_br0=( "-L" )
> config_eth0=( "null" )
>
> # To be able to access internet on current machine
> depend_br0() {
> need net.eth0
> }
>
> That has worked fine for ages, but now when my system starts up
> it says:
>
> rc.scripts: rc-scripts: We only hotplug for ethernet interfaces.
>
> And then the br0 interface is disabled (leaving the machine
> disconnected from the network).
>
> Is hotplug now broken so that it can't be used the way it used
> to?

from 'cat /etc/rc.conf'

# Some people want a finer grain over hotplug/coldplug. rc_plug_services is a
# list of services that are matched in order, either allowing or not. By
# default we allow services through as rc_coldplug/rc_hotplug has to be YES
# anyway.
# Example - rc_plug_services="net.wlan !net.*"
# This allows net.wlan and any service not matching net.* to be plugged.
rc_plug_services=""


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 10-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Grant Edwards
 
Default Networking broke after update: We only hotplug for ethernet interfaces

On 2008-10-14, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 October 2008 15:28:20 Grant Edwards wrote:
>> My last "emerge -auvND world" appears to have broken the
>> networking setup on my machine.
>>
>> I use tun/tap networking in order to allow Qemu virtual
>> machines to show up on the network, so my /etc/conf.d/net looks
>> like this:
>>
>> bridge_br0="eth0"
>>
>> config_br0=( "dhcp" )
>> dhcpcd_br0=( "-L" )
>> config_eth0=( "null" )
>>
>> # To be able to access internet on current machine
>> depend_br0() {
>> need net.eth0
>> }
>>
>> That has worked fine for ages, but now when my system starts up
>> it says:
>>
>> rc.scripts: rc-scripts: We only hotplug for ethernet interfaces.
>>
>> And then the br0 interface is disabled (leaving the machine
>> disconnected from the network).
>>
>> Is hotplug now broken so that it can't be used the way it used
>> to?
>
> from 'cat /etc/rc.conf'
>
> # Some people want a finer grain over hotplug/coldplug. rc_plug_services is a
> # list of services that are matched in order, either allowing or not. By
> # default we allow services through as rc_coldplug/rc_hotplug has to be YES
> # anyway.
> # Example - rc_plug_services="net.wlan !net.*"
> # This allows net.wlan and any service not matching net.* to be plugged.
> rc_plug_services=""

1) None of that text appears in my /etc/rc.conf

2) I don't understand how the above applies.

3) Has that changed recently thus breaking support for bridge
interfaces?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I have a very good
at DENTAL PLAN. Thank you.
visi.com
 
Old 10-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Networking broke after update: We only hotplug for ethernet interfaces

On Tuesday 14 October 2008 15:59:54 Grant Edwards wrote:

> > from 'cat /etc/rc.conf'
> >
> > # Some people want a finer grain over hotplug/coldplug. rc_plug_services
> > is a # list of services that are matched in order, either allowing or
> > not. By # default we allow services through as rc_coldplug/rc_hotplug has
> > to be YES # anyway.
> > # Example - rc_plug_services="net.wlan !net.*"
> > # This allows net.wlan and any service not matching net.* to be plugged.
> > rc_plug_services=""
>
> 1) None of that text appears in my /etc/rc.conf

Oops, slipped my mind - that text shows up in openrc and baselayout-2 which
you might not be using yet

> 2) I don't understand how the above applies.
>
> 3) Has that changed recently thus breaking support for bridge
> interfaces?

Inferred from the error message - if you prevent any hotplugging from
occurring for a virtual interface, the problem ought to be solved.

I'm not sure about recent thinks breaking the bridge, my only recent
experience is that bridges tend to break themselves in frustrating ways, ably
helped along by virtualization software <bang head><bang head>

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 10-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Grant Edwards
 
Default Networking broke after update: We only hotplug for ethernet interfaces

On 2008-10-14, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 October 2008 15:59:54 Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> > from 'cat /etc/rc.conf'
>> >
>> > # Some people want a finer grain over hotplug/coldplug. rc_plug_services
>> > is a # list of services that are matched in order, either allowing or
>> > not. By # default we allow services through as rc_coldplug/rc_hotplug has
>> > to be YES # anyway.
>> > # Example - rc_plug_services="net.wlan !net.*"
>> > # This allows net.wlan and any service not matching net.* to be plugged.
>> > rc_plug_services=""
>>
>> 1) None of that text appears in my /etc/rc.conf
>
> Oops, slipped my mind - that text shows up in openrc and baselayout-2 which
> you might not be using yet
>
>> 2) I don't understand how the above applies.
>>
>> 3) Has that changed recently thus breaking support for bridge
>> interfaces?
>
> Inferred from the error message - if you prevent any hotplugging from
> occurring for a virtual interface, the problem ought to be solved.

I want hotplugging to work for br0.

> I'm not sure about recent thinks breaking the bridge, my only
> recent experience is that bridges tend to break themselves in
> frustrating ways, ably helped along by virtualization software
> <bang head><bang head>

It worked the last time I restarted br0, so I'm going to leave
it alone for a while. It turns out it doesn't always fail with
that message either. Sometimes it fails after dhcpcd fails
like this:

Oct 14 08:41:10 grante br0: Dropping NETIF_F_UFO since no NETIF_F_HW_CSUM feature.
Oct 14 08:41:10 grante device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Oct 14 08:41:10 grante br0: port 1(eth0) entering learning state
Oct 14 08:41:10 grante rc-scripts: ERROR: net.br0 is already starting.
Oct 14 08:41:11 grante dhcpcd[15052]: br0: dhcpcd 4.0.2 starting
Oct 14 08:41:11 grante dhcpcd[15052]: br0: broadcasting for a lease
Oct 14 08:41:25 grante br0: topology change detected, propagating
Oct 14 08:41:25 grante br0: port 1(eth0) entering forwarding state
Oct 14 08:41:38 grante dhcpcd[15052]: br0: offered 10.1.1.19 from 10.1.1.1
Oct 14 08:41:38 grante dhcpcd[15052]: br0: checking 10.1.1.19 is available on attached network$
Oct 14 08:41:41 grante dhcpcd[15052]: br0: timed out

or sometimes like this:

Oct 14 08:43:08 grante br0: port 1(eth0) entering learning state
Oct 14 08:43:08 grante br0: port 1(eth0) entering disabled state
Oct 14 08:43:08 grante device eth0 left promiscuous mode
Oct 14 08:43:08 grante br0: port 1(eth0) entering disabled state
Oct 14 08:43:08 grante br0: Dropping NETIF_F_UFO since no NETIF_F_HW_CSUM feature.
Oct 14 08:43:08 grante device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Oct 14 08:43:08 grante br0: port 1(eth0) entering learning state
Oct 14 08:43:08 grante dhcpcd[15696]: br0: dhcpcd 4.0.2 starting
Oct 14 08:43:08 grante dhcpcd[15696]: br0: broadcasting for a lease
Oct 14 08:43:10 grante dhcpcd[15696]: br0: received SIGTERM, stopping
Oct 14 08:43:10 grante br0: port 1(eth0) entering disabled state
Oct 14 08:43:11 grante device eth0 left promiscuous mode
Oct 14 08:43:11 grante br0: port 1(eth0) entering disabled state
Oct 14 08:43:11 grante rc-scripts: We only hotplug for ethernet interfaces


It's probably dhcpcd's fault -- several times in the past it
has broken after an update because the default behavior has
been changed in a way that's incompatible with previous
versions.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm using my X-RAY
at VISION to obtain a rare
visi.com glimpse of the INNER
WORKINGS of this POTATO!!
 
Old 10-14-2008, 02:37 PM
"Daniel da Veiga"
 
Default Networking broke after update: We only hotplug for ethernet interfaces

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 12:13, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 October 2008 15:59:54 Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> > from 'cat /etc/rc.conf'
>> >
>> > # Some people want a finer grain over hotplug/coldplug. rc_plug_services
>> > is a # list of services that are matched in order, either allowing or
>> > not. By # default we allow services through as rc_coldplug/rc_hotplug has
>> > to be YES # anyway.
>> > # Example - rc_plug_services="net.wlan !net.*"
>> > # This allows net.wlan and any service not matching net.* to be plugged.
>> > rc_plug_services=""
>>
>> 1) None of that text appears in my /etc/rc.conf
>
> Oops, slipped my mind - that text shows up in openrc and baselayout-2 which
> you might not be using yet
>
>> 2) I don't understand how the above applies.
>>
>> 3) Has that changed recently thus breaking support for bridge
>> interfaces?
>
> Inferred from the error message - if you prevent any hotplugging from
> occurring for a virtual interface, the problem ought to be solved.
>
> I'm not sure about recent thinks breaking the bridge, my only recent
> experience is that bridges tend to break themselves in frustrating ways, ably
> helped along by virtualization software <bang head><bang head>

I have a working setup with bridging and qemu for about 3 years, so, I
guess the code is pretty stable. Probably just a DHCP problem, try
setting a static IP and see how it goes.

--
Daniel da Veiga
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:05 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org