Old 10-13-2008, 05:04 AM
Grant

Default {OT} Webcam packages (motion segfaults)

I've got my Philips SPC900NC webcam taking videos with the streamer
command from the xawtv package, but I'd like to use a program to
record videos based on motion detection. zoneminder looks good but
seems difficult to set up and would be overkill. motion looks about
right, but segfaults for me like this:

# /etc/init.d/motion start
* Starting motion detection ...
[0] Processing thread 0 - config file /etc/motion.conf
[0] Unknown config option "ffmpeg_cap_new"
[0] Unknown config option "ffmpeg_cap_motion"
[0] Unknown config option "ffmpeg_timelapse"
[0] Unknown config option "ffmpeg_timelapse_mode"
[0] Unknown config option "ffmpeg_bps"
[0] Unknown config option "ffmpeg_variable_bitrate"
[0] Unknown config option "ffmpeg_video_codec"
[0] Unknown config option "ffmpeg_deinterlace"
[0] Unknown config option "movie_filename"
[0] Unknown config option "timelapse_filename"
[0] Unknown config option "sql_log_image"
[0] Unknown config option "sql_log_snapshot"
[0] Unknown config option "sql_log_mpeg"
[0] Unknown config option "sql_log_timelapse"
[0] Unknown config option "sql_query"
[0] Motion 3.2.10.1 Started
/lib/rcscripts/sh/rc-daemon.sh: line 231: 11597 Segmentation fault
/sbin/start-stop-daemon '--start' '-c' 'motion' '-g' 'video'
'--quiet' '--exec' '/usr/bin/motion' [ !! ]

Is there any way I can track down the problem? Is there another
program that can take videos based on motion detection?

- Grant

Old 10-13-2008, 03:55 PM
James

Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:

> motion looks about right, but segfaults for me like this:

Have you customized the /etc/motion.conf file?

Googling should produce some wikis or example files to follow.

James

Old 10-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Grant

>> motion looks about right, but segfaults for me like this:
>
> Have you customized the /etc/motion.conf file?

I get the same error whether I customize the file or use the default one.

> Googling should produce some wikis or example files to follow.

No luck so far but I'm working on it.

- Grant

Old 10-13-2008, 08:50 PM
James

Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Have you customized the /etc/motion.conf file?
>

> No luck so far but I'm working on it.

I'm not sure about the latest version of motion, but here's a note
I save from version 3.2.7 (that may provide some examples):

* You need to setup /etc/motion.conf before running
* motion for the first time.
* Examples are available at /usr/share/doc/motion-3.2.7/examples

James