Old 10-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Adam Carter

Default Wine + USB to serial adapter

Is /dev/ttyUSB0 as
functional as a regular /etc/ttyS0? I have a USB to serial adapter that uses the
pl2303 driver, and have
*
adam@absydos ~/.wine/dosdevices $ ls -l
total
0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 adam users 12 May* 9 04:08 com1 ->
/dev/ttyUSB0
*
But it doesnt appear
to work. Similarly mapping ttyUSB0 to com1 in vmware fails, but if i
connect*the usb adapter to a vmware windows guest and add the windows
driver it works. So;
- should it
work?
- will other USB to
serial adapter with better linux drivers work?
- or will i have to
try a PCCard serial adapter?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:32 PM
James

Adam Carter <Adam.Carter <at> optus.com.au> writes:

> Is /dev/ttyUSB0 as
> functional as a regular /etc/ttyS0? I have a USB to serial adapter
> that uses the pl2303 driver, and have

It's listed in the kernel sources so it should work..

make menuconfig
-->device drivers
-->usb
-->USB Serial Converter Support
--> Prolific 2303 Single Port Serial Driver

> - will other USB to
> serial adapter with better linux drivers work?
> - or will i have to
> try a PCCard serial adapter?

FTDI work very well under windows or linux. Once you add the
appropriate driver (via the linux kernel) you can boot
either winblows or linux and use the 9pin-serial-to-usb
as you like with either OS.

These sorts of products are build upon various chipsets from
different vendors, but, there are standards so as long as
a linux driver exists for the chipset that is used in your
product, it should work reliably and consistently, under
linux or winblows.....

hth,

James

Old 10-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Adam Carter

> FTDI work very well under windows or linux. Once you add the
> appropriate driver (via the linux kernel) you can boot
> either winblows or linux and use the 9pin-serial-to-usb
> as you like with either OS.

The device is setup and works (hence the existance of the /dev/ttyUSB0 device). If the driver wasn't setup that device wouldn't be created. It works fine with minicom. Its just not responding in wine or vwmare (when mapped to a windows com port).

Old 10-13-2008, 10:49 PM
James

Adam Carter <Adam.Carter <at> optus.com.au> writes:

> It works fine with minicom. Its just not responding in wine or vwmare
> (when mapped to a windows com port).

OK, good.

Sorry, I never tried to use with wine or vmware....

James

Old 10-14-2008, 05:29 AM
Adam Carter

Also;

absydos adam # setserial /dev/ttyUSB0
Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument

And

absydos adam # stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0
speed 9600 baud; line = 0;
-brkint -imaxbel
absydos adam #

Old 10-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Joseph

- will other USB to serial adapter with better linux drivers work?
- or will i have to try a PCCard serial adapter?

I just pickup this unit:
http://www.pfranc.com/cgi-bin/P/USB_G4/garmin-GPS-cables
The drier is in the kernel and it is working under Linux with my external modem and APC UPS

--
#Joseph
GPG KeyID: ED0E1FB7