FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Alexander Puchmayr
 
Default Kernel crash - howto find out what happened?

Hi there!

MY gentoo system (an amd64@4400+, 2GB ram, nforce4-chipset) worked fine for
nearly two years, but now it frequently freezes, sometimes (not always)
scrollock and capslock LED blinking).

Since I'm using the box as desktop, I have only a frozen X-server and no
possibility to switch to console (maybe there's some hint whats happened?).

How do I find out what happened, why it crashed? Modern systems have
MCE-logs, but how do I read it in this case? After reboot, all information
seems to be gone since mcelog is always empty.

I assume there's some problem with some hardware, I already tested RAM with
memtest86, but no errors.

Thanks for suggestions
Alex
 
Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Erik Hahn
 
Default Kernel crash - howto find out what happened?

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:08:57AM +0200, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> Since I'm using the box as desktop, I have only a frozen X-server and no
> possibility to switch to console (maybe there's some hint whats happened?).
>
> How do I find out what happened, why it crashed? Modern systems have
> MCE-logs, but how do I read it in this case? After reboot, all information
> seems to be gone since mcelog is always empty.
> Alex

If it's a kernel panic you actually get debugging information on the
console. It's just hidden "behind" the X server. Maybe you can reproduce
the problem working without X (If you can do your work purely from the
VTs)

Do you use any proprietary drivers?

-Erik

--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR
 
Old 10-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Alexander Puchmayr
 
Default Kernel crash - howto find out what happened?

Am Sonntag, 12. Oktober 2008 schrieb Erik Hahn:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:08:57AM +0200, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> > Since I'm using the box as desktop, I have only a frozen X-server and
> > no possibility to switch to console (maybe there's some hint whats
> > happened?).
> >
> > How do I find out what happened, why it crashed? Modern systems have
> > MCE-logs, but how do I read it in this case? After reboot, all
> > information seems to be gone since mcelog is always empty.
> > Alex
>
> If it's a kernel panic you actually get debugging information on the
> console. It's just hidden "behind" the X server. Maybe you can reproduce
> the problem working without X (If you can do your work purely from the
> VTs)

I've tried, but unfortunately, the X-Driver on my laptop (i965) does also
seem to have stability problems, after ca an hour it froze using 100%
cpu-time, unable to kill (nither kill or kill -9 did work). I guess it
didn't wakeup from DPMS :-(

>
> Do you use any proprietary drivers?
>
On the desktop I have nvidia-card with prop. driver.

Alex
 
Old 10-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Kernel crash - howto find out what happened?

On Sunday 12 October 2008 13:12:20 Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> > If it's a kernel panic you actually get debugging information on the
> > console. It's just hidden "behind" the X server. Maybe you can reproduce
> > the problem working without X (If you can do your work purely from the
> > VTs)
>
> I've tried, but unfortunately, the X-Driver on my laptop (i965) does also
> seem to have stability problems, after ca an hour it froze using 100%
> cpu-time, unable to kill (nither kill or kill -9 did work). I guess it
> didn't wakeup from DPMS :-(

Here's a thought: if you have a spare machine, you could ssh in to your
desktop and continue to work normally. The ssh session would be tailing an
appropriate log, so even if the desktop goes south there's a good chance the
error log is visible

For something more persistent, you could try temporarily sending all logs to a
remote log server. Remote logging is quite efficient, I usually find the only
thing that gets in it's way is a complete instant kernel halt that brings the
whole machine down without warning - this is extremely rare on production
kernels

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org