Old 10-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Grant Edwards

Default Xinerama vs TwinView for dual monitor setup

On 2008-10-13, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> There's a third option you haven't mentioned: two different
>> displays rather than a large virtual display spread across two
>> monitors.
>
> [snip]
>
>> Pros:
>>
>> * Mouse movement and focus still act like one large display.
>>
>> * Each display can have it's own set of virtual desktops and
>> they can be switched indpendantly.
>
> Really? When I set up separate X screens, changing virtual desktops on
> one display (eg from "VD1" to "VD2") also changed it on the other display.

It probably depends on your window manager. I'm using XFCE,
and switching "workspaces" as they're called in XFCE is
independant for the two displays.

>> * Things like window-manager panels/docs/taskbars are managed
>> separately for the two displays.
>>
>> * Displays can have different resolutions, sizes, depths.
>
> So can xinerama / twinview

I thought I had read somewhere that they had to have the same
depth at least.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm having fun
at HITCHHIKING to CINCINNATI

Old 10-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-10-13, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:

>>> * Displays can have different resolutions, sizes, depths.
>>
>> So can xinerama / twinview
>
> I thought I had read somewhere that they had to have the same
> depth at least.

Based on what little I do know about Xlib I'm also pretty
surprised that a window can span two displays that have
different resolutions (DPI).

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! ... he dominates the
at DECADENT SUBWAY SCENE.