Old 10-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Erik Hahn

Default Replacements for ivman

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 01:24:03PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> I'm looking into ivman and pmount for automounting amongst other things while
> using e17.
>
> ivman was last updated Feb 2007 according to the official sourceforge page,
> and the maintainer is listed as "????". 18 months is a long time, so this
> package looks like it's unmaintained.

Does software rot when it's unmaintained or why is that a problem?

The only problem I can see are unfixed bugs but these exist in
maintained packages as well.

-Erik
--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR

Old 10-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Norberto Bensa

Quoting Erik Hahn <erik_hahn@gmx.de>:

Does software rot when it's unmaintained or why is that a problem?

No, but it develops incompatibilities over time...

Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 11 October 2008 20:53:37 Erik Hahn wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 01:24:03PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > I'm looking into ivman and pmount for automounting amongst other things
> > while using e17.
> >
> > ivman was last updated Feb 2007 according to the official sourceforge
> > page, and the maintainer is listed as "????". 18 months is a long time,
> > so this package looks like it's unmaintained.
>
> Does software rot when it's unmaintained or why is that a problem?
>
> The only problem I can see are unfixed bugs but these exist in
> maintained packages as well.

ivman is closely tied in with hal and dbus, both of which have a history of
hitting users with incompatibilities. I'd rather not deal with those issues
for this usage, and reserve my willingness to bug-hunt for other areas

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Erik Hahn

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 05:24:27PM -0300, Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Quoting Erik Hahn <erik_hahn@gmx.de>:
>
>> Does software rot when it's unmaintained or why is that a problem?
>
> No, but it develops incompatibilities over time...

So far, it works fine.

--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR

Old 10-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Dale

Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Quoting Erik Hahn <erik_hahn@gmx.de>:
>
>> Does software rot when it's unmaintained or why is that a problem?
>
> No, but it develops incompatibilities over time...

I have hal, dbus and ivman installed here. They work fine. Since it
works, that may be why it is not being updated. Don't fix what works. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Dale

Erik Hahn wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 05:24:27PM -0300, Norberto Bensa wrote:
>
>> Quoting Erik Hahn <erik_hahn@gmx.de>:
>>

>>> Does software rot when it's unmaintained or why is that a problem?
>>>
>> No, but it develops incompatibilities over time...
>>

> So far, it works fine.

+1

If something works, why does it need to be updated?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 11 October 2008 15:18:24 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am Samstag, 11. Oktober 2008 13:24:03 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> > Is there a replacement for ivman?
>
> What exactly do you do with it, which filesystems do you mount with it?

At the moment mostly just hot-plug stuff on USB with your standard
fat/ext2,3/reiser/nfts file systems, plus optical media. I also have an
sd/mmc reader and firewire on this notebook, neither of which I've never used
but probably should.

HAL and the various things one could do with it's events is something I've
stayed away from studying. Maybe early versions were confusingly
documented... and all those xml files... I was reading a wiki page on my
make/model notebook to see if I could improve on how I was using the
hardware, this came up and looked useful. Automounting is the most obvious
case, especially as e17 doesn't do it well - I get an ugly icon on the
desktop and a long description string that is truncated at about 10
characters, so the system is worse than useless. I resort to using konqueror
with it's media:/ kio-slave instead, which feels clunky and more of a
work-around than a proper desktop configuration.

If there's something better than ivman, or if I really should be configuration
HAL directly, then I'm all ears, but I do get the impression that one really
should be working with HAL via a front-end for true ease of use
--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 11 October 2008 14:59:30 Florian Philipp wrote:
> Alan McKinnon schrieb:
> > I'm looking into ivman and pmount for automounting amongst other things
> > while using e17.
> >
> > ivman was last updated Feb 2007 according to the official sourceforge
> > page, and the maintainer is listed as "????". 18 months is a long time,
> > so this package looks like it's unmaintained.
> >
> > Is there a replacement for ivman? Or is this function best done by hal
> > itself? Should I be reading the hal man pages instead of posting to a
> > user list?
>
> I'm not familiar with e17 or ivman but how about using a lightweight
> file manager with mount support like thunar (thunar-volman) or pcmanfm?

I already use konqueror (sometimes with kde, sometimes with e17) which has an
effective kio-slave to give the same result.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 11 October 2008 22:58:06 Dale wrote:

> I have hal, dbus and ivman installed here. They work fine. Since it
> works, that may be why it is not being updated. Don't fix what works. ;-)

How have you got it set up and how long has it been that way? Experienced any
brokenness while it's been in use?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Alex Schuster

Dale writes:

> Erik Hahn wrote:
> >>
> >> No, but it develops incompatibilities over time...
> >
> > So far, it works fine.
>
> +1
>
> If something works, why does it need to be updated?

Active projects usually get updated to include new featuresm whatever they
may be.

I first used supermount as auto mounter. Then suddenly it disappeared and
was replaced by submount. Which behaved differently, I had to adapt my
scripts. submount then again got removed, I started using ivman, again I
had to change my scripts to adapt to different behaviour. Now I wonder
what will come next and in which way it will differ.

Wonko