-   -   expat... once again (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/174608-expat-once-again.html)

Robert Bridge 10-11-2008 05:33 PM

expat... once again

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:19:48 +0200
Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Yes, there are still gentoo machines out there running libexpat-1,
> and I am upgrading one now. I survived several of those upgrades yet,
> but those were PCs I had better access to, and where a huge
> revdep-rebuild was no big problem.
>
> But this machine here is slow, and I do not have powerful distcc
> hosts for it. And it is powered off in the night. But it should come
> up back and be able to be used.
>
> Couldn't I just save /usr/lib/libexpat.* before upgrading libexpat,
> start revdep-rebuild, and put the old libraries back, so all
> applications stil have their libraries until revdep-rebuild has
> finished?.
>
> Wonko

Stupid idea, but would the current ~ portage now make the whole upgrade
a lot easier with FEATURES="preserve-libs" ?

Alex Schuster 10-11-2008 05:54 PM

expat... once again

Robert Bridge writes:

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:19:48 +0200
>
> Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
[my personal expat upgrade trick]
> Stupid idea, but would the current ~ portage now make the whole upgrade
> a lot easier with FEATURES="preserve-libs" ?

Oh. Yes. The new portage. Sorry, I didn't think about that, even though I
heard about it. Yeah, that should make things a lot easier. Thanks for
the hint, Robert!

Alex