Old 10-09-2008, 05:48 PM

Default Compiling for an unbooted kernel

Hi,

I am using a nvidia card for linux. Therefore I have to compile the
nvidia driver interface for each new vanilla kernel I want to
use.
After compiling/installing the new kernel, the "old" kernel is
still running.
Is it possible -- and how -- to compile/install this interface for
the new kernel while the old one is still running?

Would save me one reboot...

Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
Keep gentooing!
mcc

Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Donnerstag, 9. Oktober 2008 19:48:37 schrieb meino.cramer@gmx.de:
> Is it possible -- and how -- to compile/install this interface for
> the new kernel while the old one is still running?

KERNEL_DIR=/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/source emerge nvidia-driver

> Would save me one reboot...

Why?

1) Build new kernel
2) reboot
3) emerge nvidia-driver
4) modprobe nvidia
5) /etc/init.d/xdm start

One reboot.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 10-09-2008, 06:25 PM

Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@online.de> [08-10-09 20:23]:
> Am Donnerstag, 9. Oktober 2008 19:48:37 schrieb meino.cramer@gmx.de:
> > Is it possible -- and how -- to compile/install this interface for
> > the new kernel while the old one is still running?
>
> KERNEL_DIR=/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/source emerge nvidia-driver
>
> > Would save me one reboot...
>
> Why?
>
> 1) Build new kernel
> 2) reboot
> 3) emerge nvidia-driver
> 4) modprobe nvidia
> 5) /etc/init.d/xdm start
>
> One reboot.
>
> Bye...
>
> Dirk

Hi Dirk,

thanks for help. But let me come back to my initial question:

Is it possible to compile the source of the nvidia driver interface
for a currently compiled but unbooted kernel ?

Kind regards,
mcc

Old 10-09-2008, 06:25 PM
"Paul Hartman"

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using a nvidia card for linux. Therefore I have to compile the
> nvidia driver interface for each new vanilla kernel I want to
> use.
> After compiling/installing the new kernel, the "old" kernel is
> still running.
> Is it possible -- and how -- to compile/install this interface for
> the new kernel while the old one is still running?
>
> Would save me one reboot...

I always do that and never had a problem. eselect to set new kernel
version, make & install the new kernel, emerge packages containing
modules, reboot. Works for me.

Paul

Old 10-09-2008, 06:32 PM

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> [08-10-09 20:31]:
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using a nvidia card for linux. Therefore I have to compile the
> > nvidia driver interface for each new vanilla kernel I want to
> > use.
> > After compiling/installing the new kernel, the "old" kernel is
> > still running.
> > Is it possible -- and how -- to compile/install this interface for
> > the new kernel while the old one is still running?
> >
> > Would save me one reboot...
>
> I always do that and never had a problem. eselect to set new kernel
> version, make & install the new kernel, emerge packages containing
> modules, reboot. Works for me.
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

sorry, I missed to say, that I am using the vanilla kernel from
ftp.kernel.org. I am not using the gentoo kernel sources...

keep hacking!
mcc

Old 10-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

meino.cramer@gmx.de schrieb am 09.10.2008 20:25:
> thanks for help. But let me come back to my initial question:
>
> Is it possible to compile the source of the nvidia driver interface
> for a currently compiled but unbooted kernel ?

Does the nvidia-driver really need the kernel for which it will be
compiled running? I always compile the new kernel, let module-rebuild do
it's job and reboot. Never had problems with this. I think it just needs
the kernel sources ready for which it will be compiled. This means
emerging kernel sources and have the symlink properly set.

To use a new driver when there is no kernel change without a reboot you
just need to stop the X-Server unload and load the nvidia driver and
start the X-Server again.

Regards,

Daniel

Old 10-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Sascha Hlusiak

meino.cramer@gmx.de schrieb:
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> [08-10-09 20:31]:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am using a nvidia card for linux. Therefore I have to compile the
>>> nvidia driver interface for each new vanilla kernel I want to
>>> use.
>>> After compiling/installing the new kernel, the "old" kernel is
>>> still running.
>>> Is it possible -- and how -- to compile/install this interface for
>>> the new kernel while the old one is still running?
>>>
>>> Would save me one reboot...
>>>
>> I always do that and never had a problem. eselect to set new kernel
>> version, make & install the new kernel, emerge packages containing
>> modules, reboot. Works for me.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Hi Paul,
>
> sorry, I missed to say, that I am using the vanilla kernel from
> ftp.kernel.org. I am not using the gentoo kernel sources...

Just keep your /usr/src/linux link pointing to the kernel you want to
use and then emerge nvidia-drivers. It will pick up the link and compile
the module for that kernel.

- Sascha

Old 10-09-2008, 06:39 PM
"Paul Hartman"

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 1:32 PM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> sorry, I missed to say, that I am using the vanilla kernel from
> ftp.kernel.org. I am not using the gentoo kernel sources...

Hi Meino,

I think it should be the same. I don't use genkernel or anything, but
I do use gentoo-sources. I manually make menuconfig, make install,
make modules_install. I believe that as long as /usr/src/linux
symlinnk is pointing at your new kernel, emerging modules should use
that one. Like I showed in my example, I do everything before reboot,
and when I reboot it all works with the new kernel, including
nvidia-drivers.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 09 October 2008 20:37:37 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> meino.cramer@gmx.de schrieb am 09.10.2008 20:25:
> > thanks for help. But let me come back to my initial question:
> >
> > Is it possible to compile the source of the nvidia driver interface
> > for a currently compiled but unbooted kernel ?
>
> Does the nvidia-driver really need the kernel for which it will be
> compiled running?

No.

Drivers are compiled for the current *configured* kernel.

The running kernel is utterly and completely irrelevant. The compiler wants
linux-headers, a configured set of kernel sources and other bits. Running
kernel does not feature in this.

The *configured* kernel is defined by whatever /usr/src/linux is pointing to.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-09-2008, 07:03 PM
7v5w7go9ub0o

meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

[...]

almost certainly yes.

point /usr/src/linux to the subdirectory that contains the unbooted
source code.

the compiler should look for the source code via /usr/src/linux.

HTH