Old 10-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Pawel K

Default get rid of xf86-video-* drivers

Hello

I would* like to get rid of all unnecessary x11-drivers/xf86-video-* packages.
I do NOT want to migrate to "Modular X".

I set my video card in /etc/make.conf as follows:
VIDEO_CARDS="i810"

What should I do now. Just "emerge --unmerge" on each unnecessary package ?
Is it sufficient for emerge to NOT to install drivers on an upgrade xorg in the future.

Thanks for answer.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Sascha Hlusiak

Pawel K schrieb:

Hello

I would* like to get rid of all unnecessary x11-drivers/xf86-video-*
packages.

I do NOT want to migrate to "Modular X".

I set my video card in /etc/make.conf as follows:

VIDEO_CARDS="i810"

What should I do now. Just "emerge --unmerge" on each unnecessary
package ?

Is it sufficient for emerge to NOT to install drivers on an upgrade
xorg in the future.

Thanks for answer.

You alreads USE "modular X", if you have separate xf86-video-* packages
installed.

If you set VIDEO_CARDS to what you want and emerge -auDN world, so
xorg-server pulls in the dependencies, you should be able to remove all
unneeded packages with "emerge -a --depclean". Be careful though,
that's not a toy. You might as well just "emerge --unmerge" the
packages you don't want anymore.

- Sascha

Old 10-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Norberto Bensa

Quoting Erik Hahn <erik_hahn@gmx.de>:

Please, disable HTML in your client or at least tell it to send a plain
text version as well. I see hardly readable raw HTML code in mutt.

Then change your MUA

I mean, there are more important reasons to not send HTML to public
mailing lists than your MUA's inability to read them.

Regards,
Norberto

Old 10-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Erik Hahn

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 01:04:00PM -0200, Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Quoting Erik Hahn <erik_hahn@gmx.de>:
>
>> Please, disable HTML in your client or at least tell it to send a plain
>> text version as well. I see hardly readable raw HTML code in mutt.
>
> Then change your MUA

Sure, but that's the one reason bugging me
--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR

Old 10-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Mike

Erik Hahn wrote:

Please, disable HTML in your client or at least tell it to send a plain
text version as well. I see hardly readable raw HTML code in mutt.

You may want to add this line to muttrc:

auto_view text/html

Mike

Old 10-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Erik Hahn

Please, disable HTML in your client or at least tell it to send a plain
text version as well. I see hardly readable raw HTML code in mutt.

-Erik

--
hackerkey://v4sw5hw2ln3pr5ck0ma2u7LwXm4l7Gi2e2t4b7Ken4/7a16s0r1p-5.62/-6.56g5OR

Old 10-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Willie Wong

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 11:43:42AM -0400, Penguin Lover Mike squawked:

> You may want to add this line to muttrc:
>
> auto_view text/html

That doesn't always help: I've been griping about this on my local TUG
list just recently. Some (web)mail clients, when sending HTML
mails, uses some sort of funky graphics/CSS formatting to denote
quotes, and sometimes they even strip the quote marks ('>') that sane
mail clients insert and replace them with their funky graphics.

I complained to my local TUG this time because some guy responded an
e-mail 6 or 7 level down in a thread and auto_view + dumping of html
by lynx makes the quotes completely disappear, and the discussion
becomes completely impossible to follow!

Besides: if one is already using the bandwidth to send mail in HTML,
why not make it MIME-multipart with a plain text version included too?

(BTW, the above gripe is not directed at anyone on this list in
particular, rather is an anecdote to illustrate a point.)

"I assume you've all done stationary phase integrals...right?"
~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 671 days, 20:11

Old 10-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Mike

Willie Wong wrote:

Besides: if one is already using the bandwidth to send mail in HTML,
why not make it MIME-multipart with a plain text version included too?

I agree there should be a plain text version included AND the html
should be standards compliant, in a perfect world.

Mike

Old 10-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 09 October 2008 23:42:00 Mike wrote:
> Willie Wong wrote:
> > Besides: if one is already using the bandwidth to send mail in HTML,
> > why not make it MIME-multipart with a plain text version included too?
>
> I agree there should be a plain text version included AND the html
> should be standards compliant, in a perfect world.

I'm still looking for a solution to the idiots in the HR department that
insist on sending all their touchy-feely-it's-a-wonderful-world motivational
mails as a single giant jpeg...

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 10-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 00:52:17 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I'm still looking for a solution to the idiots in the HR department
> that insist on sending all their touchy-feely-it's-a-wonderful-world
> motivational mails as a single giant jpeg...

Napalm?

--
Neil Bothwick

A computer scientist is someone who, when told to "Go to Hell,"
sees the "go to," rather than the destination, as harmful.