Old 10-08-2008, 03:10 AM

Default fcron driving me crazy

Hi,

every fcron is starting updatedb. I dont need this service on a
daily basis. I am starting updatedb by hand if I need a fresh db.
But I need a full fcron installed for other purposes, so I need
to find the script, which tells fcron to start updatedb.

I have tried to disable all scripts, but it seems, that I am
not able to do so

I edited also roots fcrontab and my own fcrontab to not
to start updatedb -- they are fixed.

My question: Where are other "things" installed, which
trigger updatedb on a daily basis?

Kind regards and thank you very much in advance for any help!
mcc

Old 10-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Stroller

every fcron is starting updatedb. I dont need this service on a
daily basis. I am starting updatedb by hand if I need a fresh db.
But I need a full fcron installed for other purposes, so I need
to find the script, which tells fcron to start updatedb.

If you don't know where the above script is...

I have tried to disable all scripts, but it seems, that I am
not able to do so

I edited also roots fcrontab and my own fcrontab to not
to start updatedb -- they are fixed.

... then why did you do this? What did you edit & what were the results?

My question: Where are other "things" installed, which
trigger updatedb on a daily basis?

/etc/cron.daily/slocate

It is put there by sys-apps/slocate itself. You can move it to
cron.weekly if you prefer (although frankly, I don't know why this
would upset you so much).

Old 11-04-2008, 01:15 PM
"Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto"

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 8 Oct 2008, at 04:10, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

>> every fcron is starting updatedb. I dont need this service on a
>> daily basis. I am starting updatedb by hand if I need a fresh db.
>> But I need a full fcron installed for other purposes, so I need
>> to find the script, which tells fcron to start updatedb.
>
> If you don't know where the above script is...
>
>> I have tried to disable all scripts, but it seems, that I am
>> not able to do so
>>
>> I edited also roots fcrontab and my own fcrontab to not
>> to start updatedb -- they are fixed.
>
> ... then why did you do this? What did you edit & what were the results?
>
>> My question: Where are other "things" installed, which
>> trigger updatedb on a daily basis?
>
> /etc/cron.daily/slocate
>
> It is put there by sys-apps/slocate itself. You can move it to cron.weekly
> if you prefer (although frankly, I don't know why this would upset you so
> much).

I re-state what Stroller said. What did you edit? And, please read the
cron documentation (if memory serves, Gentoo has a nice cron
documentation).

Also, try mlocate. It is an optimized implementation of locate; its
updatedb is faster and less IO-intensive.

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds