Old 10-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Dale

Default Network Down Apps trying to use lo instead of eth0

Bo Grimes wrote:
> I rebooted and my network is "down." eth0 is actually running, but
> from what I can tell my applications like Evolution and Firefox are
> trying to use lo.
>
> I have the link set up
>
> # cd /etc/init.d
> # ln -s net.lo net.eth0
>
> /etc/conf.d/net has config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
>
> rc-update add net.eth0 default returns that eth0 is already default.
> I can see it come up when I boot, but lo also comes up. I don't
> remember ever creating lo.

Check the output of route. It should tell you what it is using for the
default gateway. You can also use route command to set the route.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 10-08-2008, 02:42 AM
"Bo Grimes"

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bo Grimes wrote:
> > I rebooted and my network is "down." eth0 is actually running, but
> > from what I can tell my applications like Evolution and Firefox are
> > trying to use lo.
> >
> > I have the link set up
> >
> > # cd /etc/init.d
> > # ln -s net.lo net.eth0
> >
> > /etc/conf.d/net has config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
> >
> > rc-update add net.eth0 default returns that eth0 is already default.
> > I can see it come up when I boot, but lo also comes up. I don't
> > remember ever creating lo.
> >

> Check the output of route. It should tell you what it is using for the
> default gateway. You can also use route command to set the route.
>
> Hope that helps.

Thanks. Here's what I get:

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric
Ref Use Iface
192.168.2.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0
0 0 eth0
loopback * 255.0.0.0 U
0 0 0 lo
default 192.168.2.1 0.0.0.0 U 0
0 0 etho

Old 10-08-2008, 02:48 AM
"Bo Grimes"

Let me try that again. Sorry. Using Gmail's web interface and I seem
to have botched the formatting. The results of route are:

192.168.2.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
0 eth0
loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0
0 0 lo
default 192.168.2.1 0.0.0.0 U 0 0
0 etho

Old 10-08-2008, 03:40 AM
Dale

Bo Grimes wrote:
> Let me try that again. Sorry. Using Gmail's web interface and I seem
> to have botched the formatting. The results of route are:
>
> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
> 192.168.2.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
> 0 eth0
> loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0
> 0 0 lo
> default 192.168.2.1 0.0.0.0 U 0 0
> 0 etho

Well, I'm on a stinking dial-up but yours looks like mine as far as
gateways are concerned, yours is eth0 and mine is ppp0. Do you have
iptables installed and it may be blocking something? Maybe? Just in
case I am missing something, here is mine:

root@smoker / # route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
Iface
209.215.30.14 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
default 209.215.30.14 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 ppp0
root@smoker / #

eth0 is a local thing here. Disregard it on my route. It isn't even
connected at the moment.

Now that my IP is out there, pardon me while I reconnect. Don't get me
started on Gmail. I don't get a copy of my replies and am hoping to do
a work around pretty soon.

Dale

:-) :-)