Old 10-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Michael Sullivan

Default Can't play audio cds!

I can't play audio cds. I used to use gnome-cd, but that seems to be
gone now, and none of the other CD players will play sound. KsCD will
even show the track titles on the CD, but it won't play sound. I
checked the log file, but I couldn't find anything. I couldn't mount my
CD (in the past this wasn't necessary for audio CDs, but I thought I'd
try it anyway), and then I got something in the log. My /dev/cdrom is a
link to /dev/hda:

camille ~ # grep /dev/hda /var/log/messages
Oct 6 11:41:41 camille GFS2: Unrecognized block device or mount
point /dev/hda
Oct 6 11:42:13 camille GFS2: Unrecognized block device or mount
point /dev/hda
Oct 6 11:42:35 camille GFS2: Unrecognized block device or mount
point /dev/hda

camille ~ # ls -l /dev/hda
brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 3, 0 Oct 6 07:06 /dev/hda

and I am in the cdrom group:

camille ~ # grep cdrom /etc/group
cdrom:x:19:michael,haldaemon

and the audio group:

camille ~ # grep audio /etc/group
audio:x:18:amy,michael,mythtv

I rebooted into Windows XP, where the same CD played just fine. Can
anyone tell me what's going on with this?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:45 AM
"Liviu Andronic"

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Michael Sullivan
<michael@espersunited.com> wrote:
> checked the log file, but I couldn't find anything. I couldn't mount my
> CD (in the past this wasn't necessary for audio CDs, but I thought I'd

As far as I know, the Linux kernel cannot mount Audio CDs. The one
programme that on my system works with Audio CDs is Gnome-mplayer. You
might also try VLC. Another option is to rip them with Grip.

Regards,
Liviu

Old 11-04-2008, 01:03 PM
"Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto"

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Michael Sullivan
> <michael@espersunited.com> wrote:
>> checked the log file, but I couldn't find anything. I couldn't mount my
>> CD (in the past this wasn't necessary for audio CDs, but I thought I'd
>>
> As far as I know, the Linux kernel cannot mount Audio CDs. The one
> programme that on my system works with Audio CDs is Gnome-mplayer. You
> might also try VLC. Another option is to rip them with Grip.
>
> Regards,
> Liviu
I can play an audio CD (with Beethoven music) with mplayer cdda://.
Can you try a program that I or Liviu Andronic know? That way, we
would more likely understand the error messages, assuming it does not
work and gives error messages.
How about you try gnome-mplayer?

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds

Old 01-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Michael Sullivan

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 09:45 +0300, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Michael Sullivan
> <michael@espersunited.com> wrote:
> > checked the log file, but I couldn't find anything. I couldn't mount my
> > CD (in the past this wasn't necessary for audio CDs, but I thought I'd
> >
> As far as I know, the Linux kernel cannot mount Audio CDs. The one
> programme that on my system works with Audio CDs is Gnome-mplayer. You
> might also try VLC. Another option is to rip them with Grip.
>
> Regards,
> Liviu

I wrote in about this problem awhile ago and never got an answer. This
morning I was googling the problem and came across the thread I created
on an archive site and looked at it just to see if there was anything
I'd missed. There was a reply to it that I hadn't seen before, so I
read it. I don't know why I never received the reply, but it suggested
using

mplayer cdda://

and posting the error messages. I tried it and it works; it plays my
audio cd:

michael@camille ~ $ mplayer cdda://
MPlayer dev-SVN-r28058-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz (Family: 15, Model: 4, Stepping: 1)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

Playing cdda://.
Found audio CD with 17 tracks.

Track 1
rawaudio file format detected.
Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1411.2 kbit/100.00% (ratio:
176400->176400)
Selected audio codec: [pcm] afm: pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
AO: [oss] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A: 9.0 (09.0) of 3701.7 ( 1:01:41.7) 8.6%

MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: play_audio
A: 9.0 (09.0) of 3701.7 ( 1:01:41.7) 8.6%
Exiting... (Quit)

However, kscd does not. The interface looks like it's playing, but
there's no audio output:

michael@camille ~ $ kscd
QWidget::setProperty( "text", value ) failed: property invalid,
read-only or does not exist
kdecore (KConfigSkeleton): Creating KConfigSkeleton (0x80ed298)
kdecore (KConfigSkeleton): KConfigSkeleton::readConfig()
kdecore (KConfigSkeleton): Creating KConfigSkeleton (0x8109610)
kdecore (KConfigSkeleton): KConfigSkeleton::readConfig()
kscd: Device change: WM_CDIN, /dev/cdrom, , , status: Stopped
kscd: Volume change: 100, status: Success
michael@camille ~ $ kscd: New discId=3859707153
kscd: lookupCDDB() called
kdecore (KConfigSkeleton): KConfigSkeleton::readConfig()
libkcddb: Looking up e60e7511 in CDDB cache
kdecore (KConfigSkeleton): Creating KConfigSkeleton (0xbfb4a1f4)
kdecore (KConfigSkeleton): KConfigSkeleton::readConfig()
libkcddb: Loaded CDInfo for e60e7511
libkcddb: Found 1 hit(s)
kdecore (KConfigSkeleton): KConfigSkeleton::writeConfig()
kdecore (KConfigSkeleton): KConfigSkeleton::readConfig()

As far as I can tell, the logs have nothing to say about this problem.
Unless I'm looking in the wrong log. I checked /var/log/messages and
there is no mention of kscd anywhere. dmesg has the same two lines
repeated over and over again:

i2c-adapter i2c-1: master_xfer[1] R, addr=0x40, len=3
i2c-adapter i2c-1: master_xfer[0] W, addr=0x40, len=2

with one variation at the very top: adapter i2c-1: master_xfer[1] R,
addr=0x40, len=2

If I try to play my CD in VLC, I get this error:

Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'cdda:///dev/hda'. Check the log for
details.

but I can't find VLC's log file. Can anyone clue me in to where it is?

I checked /dev/hda (which IS my cd-rom drive):

camille ~ # ls -l /dev/hda
brwxrwxrwx 1 root cdrom 3, 0 Dec 28 15:15 /dev/hda

and I AM in the cdrom group:

camille ~ # grep cdrom /etc/group
cdrom:x:19:michael,haldaemon

I'm using gnome:

camille log # emerge -pv gnome

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] gnome-base/gnome-2.22.3 USE="cdr cups dvdr esd ldap
-accessibility -mono" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Can anyone help me fix this with this new information?
-Michael Sullivan-