Old 10-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Grant

Default Asus Eee Gentoo install - no CD drive

I'm very familiar with installing Gentoo via LiveCD, but I'm not sure
how to go about it without a CD drive. I'm sure there are many exotic
options to choose from, but I'd rather not have to learn too much new
stuff to get this done. Can anyone recommend a simple method? I have
a wired/wireless LAN/internet connection and 3 systems on the LAN
running Gentoo. No USB drive though.

- Grant

Old 10-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Hello

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 08:01:51AM -0700, Grant wrote:
> I'm very familiar with installing Gentoo via LiveCD, but I'm not sure
> how to go about it without a CD drive. I'm sure there are many exotic
> options to choose from, but I'd rather not have to learn too much new
> stuff to get this done. Can anyone recommend a simple method? I have
> a wired/wireless LAN/internet connection and 3 systems on the LAN
> running Gentoo. No USB drive though.

Do you have an USB flashdisk? You could get some kind of DSL or so and
install from it (you do not need gentoo LiveCD, any reasonable running
linux is OK).

--
Anything is possible, unless it's not.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Old 10-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Robert Bridge

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 08:01:51 -0700
Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm very familiar with installing Gentoo via LiveCD, but I'm not sure
> how to go about it without a CD drive. I'm sure there are many exotic
> options to choose from, but I'd rather not have to learn too much new
> stuff to get this done. Can anyone recommend a simple method? I have
> a wired/wireless LAN/internet connection and 3 systems on the LAN
> running Gentoo. No USB drive though.

If you already have a linux install on the machine, you could install
from that.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:45 PM
"Andrey Falko"

I'd just network boot it: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Diskless_Install

Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 16:16:25 +0100, Robert Bridge wrote:

> > I'm very familiar with installing Gentoo via LiveCD, but I'm not sure
> > how to go about it without a CD drive. I'm sure there are many exotic
> > options to choose from, but I'd rather not have to learn too much new
> > stuff to get this done. Can anyone recommend a simple method? I have
> > a wired/wireless LAN/internet connection and 3 systems on the LAN
> > running Gentoo. No USB drive though.
>
> If you already have a linux install on the machine, you could install
> from that.

Xandros doesn't have the tools necessary to install Gentoo. I used an
eeeXubuntu CD, which has a script to create a bootable flash disk. Boot
fro the CD on another computer, run the script then boot the Eee from the
USB stick.

--
Neil Bothwick

"There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way
is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.
The first method is far more difficult" -C.A.R. Hoare

Old 10-06-2008, 09:44 PM
ert256

If You have somewhere running PXE configuration, You can run liveCD
remotely from some pretend-nfs-serwer.

I've done that using simple pxe-configuration as follows :
LABEL gentoo-nfs
menu label ^Gentoo over NFS
KERNEL gentoo/gentoo
APPEND initrd=gentoo/gentoo.igz ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs
nfsroot=10.0.0.1:/srv/nfs/gentoo

And files gentoo and gentoo.igz was copied from live-cd i suppose, and
/dev/nfs was was livecd as far as i remember.
I've done that few months ago, can help but cannot remember all details now.

[ 06.10.2008 17:01 ], Grant :

--
Rafał (ert16) Trójniak
m@il : ert256@gmail.com

Old 10-06-2008, 09:55 PM
"Dan Cowsill"

It is possible to get a Gentoo LiveCD running happily on a USB flash
drive. I'm currently running Ubuntu eee on my 701, but before that I
attempted a Gentoo install on it. It is nothing short of the biggest
pain in the butt I could have imagined. But if you like a
challenge...

Old 10-07-2008, 12:01 AM
"Andrey Falko"

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Dan Cowsill <danthehat@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is possible to get a Gentoo LiveCD running happily on a USB flash
> drive. I'm currently running Ubuntu eee on my 701, but before that I
> attempted a Gentoo install on it. It is nothing short of the biggest
> pain in the butt I could have imagined. But if you like a
> challenge...

Come to think of it, why wouldn't a simple:

dd if="/path/to/gentoo-livecd.iso" of=/dev/<flash drive>

not work? I think I've done the successfully with a Gentoo minimal
install CD, but I don't remember.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Iain Buchanan

Andrey Falko wrote:

It is possible to get a Gentoo LiveCD running happily on a USB flash
drive. I'm currently running Ubuntu eee on my 701, but before that I
attempted a Gentoo install on it. It is nothing short of the biggest
pain in the butt I could have imagined. But if you like a
challenge...

Come to think of it, why wouldn't a simple:

dd if="/path/to/gentoo-livecd.iso" of=/dev/<flash drive>

not work? I think I've done the successfully with a Gentoo minimal
install CD, but I don't remember.

you can pretty much unpack any gentoo bootable live cd to a usb drive,
then run grub over it, and it's bootable (on newer systems).

<shamelessplug> I hear this guy wrote a howto:

http://nthrbldyblg.blogspot.com/2008/06/gentoo-linux-live-usb-key.html
</shamelessplug>

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call
this their point of view.
-- Albert Einstein

Old 10-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Jerry McBride

On Monday 06 October 2008 08:01:08 pm Andrey Falko wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Dan Cowsill <danthehat@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It is possible to get a Gentoo LiveCD running happily on a USB flash
> > drive. I'm currently running Ubuntu eee on my 701, but before that I
> > attempted a Gentoo install on it. It is nothing short of the biggest
> > pain in the butt I could have imagined. But if you like a
> > challenge...

> Come to think of it, why wouldn't a simple:
>
> dd if="/path/to/gentoo-livecd.iso" of=/dev/<flash drive>
>
> not work? I think I've done the successfully with a Gentoo minimal
> install CD, but I don't remember.

I tried that recently, but it failed. What I ended up doing was copying over
the needed files from the hard drive to the flash drive, then ran
grub-install to rewrite the grub files... Bingo... it boots now.
incidentally, this is a ext2 formatted flash drive...

--

From the desk of:
Jerome D. McBride

17:49:43 up 9 days, 22:07, 5 users, load average: 0.12, 0.03, 0.01